Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Irene Molloy in Hello, Dolly! 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Main Role: Performer
Post Irene Molloy in Hello, Dolly!
I am currently in rehearsals for Hello, Dolly!, and my role is Mrs. Irene Molloy. It's a great part and a lot of fun. I am very familiar with the film version, but not with the stage version, and I am noticing several differences between the two. One spot in particular is throwing me off of my original thoughts about her character. In the movie, it is made very clear that Irene knew all along that Cornelius and Barnaby weren't rich, and after she confesses this it's revealed that she even planned to pay for the dinner. However, in this scene does not exist in the stage version, leaving it unclear whether or not she knew the truth.

So my question is this: In the stage version, does Irene know that Cornelius and Barnaby aren't rich and she's just playing along to tease them, or is she actually in the dark the whole time? Should I play her like she orders that extravagant meal just to mess with them a little bit, or should I be oblivious to their (obvious) discomfort?

I personally think she's extremely intelligent and just enjoys stirring things up a little.

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]