The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Last Five Years Staging? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Performer
Post Last Five Years Staging?
I've just recently started "getting into" Last Five Years, having listened to some of the songs and read through the script/lyrics. I went in knowing what it was about and how it worked (showing the same relationship simultaneously from beginning to end and from end to beginning), but I was wondering how the whole concept is made clear when the show is performed live.
Like from an audience perspective, if I'm coming to see this show without knowing anything about it, I don't know if that would be particularly clear. There's nothing in the lyrics that makes it clear, and it might even seem like Jamie is moving on to a new relationship while Cathy is left to grieve the old one. I seems like it might be particularly confusing because (from my understanding) the two characters never actually interact with each other with the exception of the wedding scene.
So is the Wedding Scene supposed to be the "aha moment" where the audience catches on to what's going on? Can anybody who's seen the show say how or if the whole concept made clear.
Thanks!

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]