Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Wizard of Oz - Dorothy age and size 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
Main Role: Performer
Post Wizard of Oz - Dorothy age and size
hello MDNers,

I noticed many people are doing Oz again and I was wondering if people who ahve done the show professionally or with community theatre (not kids theatre) have any insight on the right age/height/look for Dorothy.

I was called back for the role about 5 years ago and didnt get it to a 13 year old - I was 16 at the time or 15 and looked a lot like Judy Garland in the film and then about a year ago was called back again but this time for a dancer and the role of Dorothy went to a 30 year old.

Im average height and body type but working on losing weight but I was wondering would I even have a chance at playing the role. I've noticed most stage productions casy someone who looks WAYYYY younger like 12 than Just Garland did.

same goes for Leisl in the Sound of Music for which I have been called back twice.

would love to discuss or any advice on how to look even younger :)

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: Wizard of Oz - Dorothy age and size
Dorothy is very subjective. Since Baum never stated her exact age..12-17 year olds are generally cast based on the director's vision.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:41 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Shaw
I concur with Dawn. I did the show many times in an annual production at a community theatre, and Dorothy always fell around that range, specifically 14-18. It sounds like you're about 21 now - I'd say that if you can pass for an older teen you definitely have a shot at the role. Most directors would rather cast an older girl they know can play the role and carry the show than take a huge risk on a young teen.

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

When Andrew Lloyd Webber did his casting shows for the musical I'm pretty sure he asked for girls 17-25 and didn't specify the height/body type, although if you watch the finals most of the Dorothys are slim with curves and not particularly tall, I think the smallest was 5ft 1''.

Sun May 19, 2013 3:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]