The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Important Question re: MTI Seussical 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Important Question re: MTI Seussical
Anybody that can help with this question would be greatly appreciated:

I have heard second hand that MTI's version of the full, two-act "Seussical" cuts the song "A Day for the Cat in the Hat" from the main portion of the score but offers it as an appendix as an optional song that can be added. Can someone confirm for me that this is true--i.e., that the MTI materials DO include the music for the song as "optional?"

There are certainly many YouTube videos of performances of the song from various high school productions (which MTI would certainly have had to license--and high school productions are usually more "notable" than community ones). I would think that if MTI didn't offer the song as an option that these productions would have been fined or penalized for including it. Since there are so many of these, I have to hope that it is there in their score.

I have reasons for wanting to know this, but if anybody could confirm it, please do.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:40 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Important Question re: MTI Seussical
^Good question!

I'm Yertle in the show that my HS is doing right now, and we are including that song. I don't think they paid any more money for it though. Heck, the same musical director put in 2-3 songs from Sound of Music (the movie) into the musical, and about 20 pages of dialogue, and didn't pay a extra cent! Now he's got in his head that he "found" on the internet, an alternate ending, written by Mr. Idle, that shows the elephant bird being a trutle bird, and me getting to generally ruin everyone's day, including a deut with Mayzie, among other things, YAY!

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:54 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Interesting. I'm just wondering whether MTI has it in their licensed vocal score and parts as an optional song because I have heard that they do.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:45 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: The Marvelous Wonderettes, Grease, Jersey Boys
Main Role: Performer
I'm unsure of any changes since the rights first became available. I did the show soon after MTI first started licensing it, and "A Day for the Cat in the Hat" was not part of the show. It had been cut in the transition from Broadway to tour, and the tour version is the MTI version. I am aware of some changes that were made when they created Seussical, Jr. and the TYA version that cut the show apart drastically. I bought my script after I did the show, and it's not in there.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:52 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't recall it being in the score when I did it a few years back, but it's been a while, so I'm not positive. It's possible it's sold as an addendum? In any case I don't recall it being an obvious "OPTIONAL CUT HERE" thing like some other shows have.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:54 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Rorgg wrote:
I don't recall it being in the score when I did it a few years back, but it's been a while, so I'm not positive. It's possible it's sold as an addendum? In any case I don't recall it being an obvious "OPTIONAL CUT HERE" thing like some other shows have.

It's most likely this. It's not in my lib/vocal score script of the MTI version, so it has to be that. Now if only our Horton would learn his damn lines! :)

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:40 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

^Sorry for the double post, and I really didn't feel that I needed to start up a new thread for this suessical question.

What were your bow order? My director has no idea and she asked me for help.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ours went something like:

Who Ensemble
Jungle Ensemble
Wickershams
Bird Girls
Grinch/Yertle
General vonSchmitz
Sour Kangaroo
Mr & Mrs Mayor
Mayzie
Gertrude
Horton
Jojo
Cat

I played Horton ... my daughter (then 5 or so) was MOST put out that I didn't get final bow. Heh, that was unnecessary, though I'd probably have put myself after Jojo. The Cat and Horton really link the halves of the story.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:22 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
Surely Horton should get the final bow? Though the Cat is technically the biggest part, Horton is the main character.

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:59 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I can see the argument either way. It's essentially Horton's story as a whole, he plays the central role around which most of the action rotates, and is certainly the protagonist, so it's certainly a valid choice.

The cat is, for his part, sort of the Emcee and presenter of the story, and such roles when they also include significant participation in the story itself, often get that spot.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Rorgg wrote:
Ours went something like:

Who Ensemble
Jungle Ensemble
Wickershams
Bird Girls
Grinch/Yertle
General vonSchmitz
Sour Kangaroo
Mr & Mrs Mayor
Mayzie
Gertrude
Horton
Jojo
Cat

I played Horton ... my daughter (then 5 or so) was MOST put out that I didn't get final bow. Heh, that was unnecessary, though I'd probably have put myself after Jojo. The Cat and Horton really link the halves of the story.

Wow. Better then I got :|

Ours went:

CHORUS (pretty much everyone with no lines)
Grinch, Yertle (me), trees (yes there were trees), and hunters
General vonSchmitz, Mr & Mrs Mayor
Wickershams, Bird Girls
Sour Kangaroo
Mayzie
Gertrude
Horton
Jojo
Cat
(then myself) *SEE NOTE

Funny how we have nearly the exact same bows.

NOTE: does not apply to closing show.

Closing show, our producer yells "places!". We wait 5 or so mins (out of 10), and I hear a loud crashing sound. I then hear a loud scream. Oh dear! :shock: I run over to her. Turns out our Gertrude (the Cat's GF) "broke" her foot. I yell (thank god our curtain was still down at this point) for the cat. He's very upset. I tell him "dammit Cat! Pull yourself together!" He kind of does. "Hey comped..." asked Gertrude "yes?" I ask "Do me a favor. Grab Mayzie, and tell her to do my part. Take hers. You never failed to make me cry when you sang it." So I yell for Mayzie. She agrees. But then I hear the words I truly never thought I'd ever hear from a performer. "I quit!" yells our Horton. He storms out of the theatre, knocking down various techies and props along the way. Oh crap. Now we have a mayzie playing Gertrude, our Yertle playing Mayzie, and no one to play Horton.

So, needless to say, I ask "ok, so who the hell will play Horton?" Mayzie winks. "You will." "me?" I asked. I mean, I knew the part, sang it more then our real Horton did in practice, but I never really did it on stage. "um... why not? But, sometimes I'm on stage with you, and Horton... what then?" "Bring in your brother. He knows what to do." Mind you, my brother has only been in 1 musical before in his life. Sound of Music. AS THE BUTLER! But we have no other options. So, i get a guy from crew, a big burly Senior, who says "mr. comped's brother?" "yes?" my brother asks "Mr. comped, and the theatre company request your presence backstage." "who the hell are you?" my dad asks "I'm the stage manager. Our Gertrude broke her foot, so Mayzie's playing her. Our Horton literally just quit, and so your other son is playing him, and Mayzie. We need someone, a third person, to help the two of them out, and play Yertle." "Isn't this a bit extreme?" my mother asks "It's the only way we can do this, ma'am." "Ok." my dad says

So he hurries back, and we give the signal for our producer to give the same old fire exit speech. He adds that the cast was changed, due to emergency circumstances. When he begins to wind down, we carry our Gertrude off stage, and into the front row, where she says "You'll thank me later, comped. Have some fun after the show, if you know what I mean." She winked. And low and behold, the show started fine. We got through the first few songs fine. We begin on, I think, "Amayzing Mayzie", and I strut out, and for god's sake, staring me in the face were my whole grade. I had no idea, at the time, why.

I start singing, and lord, they all clapped. We got to the end of act 1, and went into intermission. I come up to our cat, hugging and kissing our Gertrude. I ask "I thought you had a broken foot?" "It's fine now. Gotta let you guys finish the show though. I think my plan worked." "plan? what plan?" "You'll see....She laughs, and walks away. So the beginning of act 2 goes fine. Then when we get to "Mayzie at the Circus" (the one where she gives Horton the egg), I look out, and I see 1000 people reach for tissues. And they bawl. I look up in the tech booth, and i see the directors, producer, and tech director/my history teacher are smiling and crying. I finish act 2, perfectly fine. Except, at the end of #28 (right after the alone in the universe reprise), the Cat pushes me and Mayzie very close. Kissing range, if you will. And she says "oh what the hell, it's what you guys wanted, isn't it?" and she flat out french-kisses me. And for god's sake it was awesome. You should have seen the gasps from the crowd, and children having their eyes covered by their mothers. We get to #30 (Green Eggs and Ham), and the Cat says "comped! Mayzie! don't take Any of your normal bows! go after me!" and the orchestra slows down the music. I mean really slows it down. So, she offers me her hand, and we danced, slowly for a good 5 mins. The rest of the cast wasn't pissed. In fact they were invested in it. When we went to take our bow, we got the (only) standing ovation of the last decade, according to the director. Mayzie, making a speech, stops, and says "I bet you wondered about all the commotion. Well, our Gertrude knew I was seriously attracted to our Yertle. She made a plan with the crew to fake breaking her leg, and fake our Horton quitting. That's why I had your friends show up. I needed witnesses. No one would believe you otherwise. (at this point, a kid yelled "DAMN RIGHT!) The rest was real folks. Why go through all the trouble? Because you're worth it comped. You're the most talented, handsome, and awesome guy I've ever met. I'd by lying if I said I hadn't fallen for you back when we did Birdie. How about dinner after this?" The cast, and audience looks at me. I step up and sing "Based on the evidence, I have no choice, but to order the defendant, comped, to agree to this date tonight!" and there was much clapping and cheering and general awesomeness.

TLDR: shows go fine, until last show, where cast plans, and succeeds, at having out Gertrude fake breaking her leg, our horton fake quitting, and men having to play Mayzie, and Horton, my brother also playing Yertle, along with Mayzie, Horton, and Gertrude, and our Mayzie playing Gertrude.

Wow. That was a lot to type!

comped

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:08 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
Whoah :shock:

...Maybe I will audition for Horton after all... :think: :)

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next