The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Spelling Bee -- choral splits 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Spelling Bee -- choral splits
Okay, was just going over the choral numbers in preparation for rehearsals to begin, and I've noticed when the spellers do a chord, it's usually split:

OO, CT
MP, LC
LS, WB (8va)

so, Barfée on the same note as Logainne (unless I've confused her with Marcy), above Chip.
Fair enough. But Barf's not always marked 8va. Is that just a shorthand omission, or should I be prepared to sing the bottom on those? Anyone know what the intent is?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Spelling Bee -- choral splits
Guess there is no definitive answer. The MD's very flexible, telling me to sing in whichever octave is comfortable. So, I've been doing it exactly as written, only singing in the treble clef octave when it's marked "8va", and doing it in the tenor clef otherwise. If nothing else, it reduces the amount of F4-A4s I need to produce, which are doable but a bit of a strain.

Also? It's kind of nice to have my strong bass-based falsetto for the particularly high bits in "Pandemonium" and "Second (Part II)" as they sound (bizarre but appropriate) fine (for the character). I'm popping out funny but strong B4s, for instance, where our poor Mitch, who's a lowish tenor, is struggling with the final note of "The I Love You Song" since he can't full-voice a B4 as softly as it needs to be and doesn't have a strong enough falsetto to make it audible either.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]