The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
jukebox musicals, legit musicals or tribute acts?? 

jukebox musicals are nothing more than tribute acts, they are cheapening the art of musical theatre.
strongly agree 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
agree 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
neither agree or disagree 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
disagree 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
strongly disagree 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

jukebox musicals, legit musicals or tribute acts?? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post jukebox musicals, legit musicals or tribute acts??
Hi there,

I’m doing research for my dissertation on musical theatre and I want to know your opinions on jukebox musicals such as Mamma-Mia, We Will Rock You, Thriller, Monkee Business and so on.

I’m taking about those shows that take songs that already exist in the public domain and string them together by attempting to create a story line that makes sense of the existing lyrics.

It would be really helpful to me if any musical fans out there could answer the following questions. Please keep in mind that this is important research for my work, so serious responses only. Thank you.

1. Have you ever watched a jukebox musical?

2. How many have you seen?

3. Do you generally enjoy them?

4. Please discuss some positives and negatives.

5. Are you interested more in the music, the story, or both?

6. Would you watch a musical based on the music of a group/artist you weren't a fan of?

7. Do you prefer when the storyline is biographical, fictional, either?

8. Do you feel jukebox musicals are replacing more traditional musicals with original music?

9. Do you feel this is a good or bad thing?

10. Is there anything else you would like to say on this matter?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:16 am

Post Re: jukebox musicals, legit musicals or tribute acts??
Yes, several.

2. How many have you seen? WWRY, Mamma Mia, All You Need Is Love, Spamalot, Grease, Saturday Night Fever.

3. Do you generally enjoy them? Depends entirely on the quality of the 'book' and the production.

4. Please discuss some positives and negatives. Positive: ready-proven musical appeal, ready-made fan base. Negative: ready-made fan base, likely to be VERY critical of any percieved shortcomings in production/writing.

5. Are you interested more in the music, the story, or both? Both. The story must be at least superficially interesting and link the songs together in a coherent, intelligent way. The music must be performed to a very high standard - if not a reproduction of the original performance, then the adaptation must be superb.

6. Would you watch a musical based on the music of a group/artist you weren't a fan of? No.

7. Do you prefer when the storyline is biographical, fictional, either? It doesn't matter, so long as it's well-written and can carry the music.

8. Do you feel jukebox musicals are replacing more traditional musicals with original music? It's the lazy way of concocting a show with a high likelihood of commercial success - eg. Dreamboats and Petticoats, currently in London - the performances are good, costuming and music are good, but the storyline is notional at best. Yet it is a steady commercial success. However, it's always been a strand in the tradition of musical theatre, not taking over from creatively written shows.

9. Do you feel this is a good or bad thing? Good. It gets bums on seats that wouldn't otherwise go near musical theatre, it might encourage said bums to investigate more creative musicals, and in the meantime it gives employment to performing artists. Highbrow Sondheim fans might flinch, but the entertainment business is about giving the punters what they want.

10. Is there anything else you would like to say on this matter? So long as the quality of the production, libretto, and music performance is high enough, a 'juke-box' musical is as valid as any other.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:29 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Wait, how are Grease and Spamalot jukebox musicals?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:52 am

Pannic wrote:

Spamalot uses the songs from various Monty Python movies.
Grease? Um... actually, that's a good point. All the music WAS written specifically for the film. My apologies!

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:28 pm

Well, only a handful - the only pre-existing songs I'm aware of are "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," and "Finland." The rest are all either new compositions or from the original Holy Grail movie.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
LoveMusik could be categorized as a jukebox musical, but isn't.

=======

yes

I've seen Jersey Boys, Lennon, Million Dollar Quartet, Smokey Joe's Cafe, Rock of Ages, American Idiot, and about the last 10 minutes of Mamma Mia (on stage).

Yes

Very easy to fall back on just thumbing through the catalog for a plot -- Jersey Boys does NOT do this and I really appreciate it.

Usually the story.

6. Would you watch a musical based on the music of a group/artist you weren't a fan of?
Yes. In fact, I have. I've seen Jersey Boys over 30 times, but I'm not a Frankie Valli fan.

Either as long as it's done well.

8. Do you feel jukebox musicals are replacing more traditional musicals with original music?
No.

Neither.

Just that people shouldn't be that dismissive of them, though it's also understandable as to why they are sometimes.

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:26 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Phantom of the Opera <3
Main Role: Performer
Yes
Mamma Mia, Jersey Boys,
Yes
I preferred Jersey Boys, which was more a tribute to the group than Mamma Mia which made a storyline out of the songs.
Music, the story lines are never as good as musicals where the songs are written for the storyline.
Yes, I started enjoying ABBA more after watching Mamma Mia, so it could definitely happen again!!
Biographical
They are becoming more common, but I think originals will still stay strong.
Nuetral, even though I do prefer originals.
I think jukebox musicals are enjoyable, but I will always prefer musicals when the music and storyline are written together.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:15 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Mumsytype wrote:
Pannic wrote:

Spamalot uses the songs from various Monty Python movies.
Grease? Um... actually, that's a good point. All the music WAS written specifically for the film. My apologies!

Grease was actually a 1972 Broadway show (first performed 1971), only a handful of songs were written specifically for the film. Some of those have since been incorporated in to the 1993 London production. As far as know the songs from the film were not in the 1994 Broadway revival (but were added to 2007 production).

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]