The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Big: The Musical 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
Post Big: The Musical
I just finished a run of Big: The Musical. I played Big Josh.

It really was an interesting experience. I know this musical's had kind of a rough history - the original Broadway production was a flop, and the show was heavily revised for the national tour (the tour version is the one licensed by MTI). Our production had its issues, but in the end it seemed to be a real crowd-pleaser.

I'd love to discuss this musical with others who might have seen or been in it. Maybe some thoughts on how it does as an adaptation of the film - which is undoubtedly great source material - or perhaps the merits of the Broadway vs tour versions.

The strengths of the show really come from the fact that it's based on a pretty good movie. The story is both funny and poignant and there are some great characters. I think the quality of the music, lyrics and book is unfortunately inconsistent. There are some great songs that work really well in the show ("Do You Want to Play Games?/Stars", "Stop, Time" and "Coffee, Black" are my favorites), but then some of them are really awkward, either musically or lyrically ("I Want to Know," "Little Susan Lawrence" and "We're Gonna Be Fine").

I personally don't find the tour version to be a huge improvement over the Broadway version. I think the second and third scenes flow a lot better in the tour version ("Say Good Morning to Mom" into "You're a Big Boy Now") as opposed to the Broadway version ("This Isn't Me" into "I Wanna Go Home"), but it's really unfortunate because "I Wanna Go Home" is one of the best songs in the show. It's an optional song in the tour version, but if included it really drags out the opening sequence too long.

I think the end of the show was MUCH better in the Broadway version. After Susan arrives at the warehouse where the Zoltar machine is, Big Josh briefly reprises "I Wanna Go Home," and they both reprise "Stars" together. The tour version ends with the lyrically and vocally awkward "We're Gonna Be Fine" - with really trite lyrics and a vocal line for Big Josh which is quite a bit lower than the rest of his music (very difficult for a true tenor like me to sing cleanly at the end of a long night!).

All in all, I'm glad I did it - it was a great character for me and very different from any other show I've done.

I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this show!

PS - Here's a clip of me peforming "Stars" from our production!

Dickon, The Secret Garden
Josh Baskin, Big: The Musical
Freddy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Franz/Dennis, Sunday in the Park with George
Frederic, The Pirates of Penzance
Historian/others, Spamalot

Up next:
???

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:45 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Big: The Musical
Awwh no takers? I was hoping someone'd have some interesting thoughts about this show...

Dickon, The Secret Garden
Josh Baskin, Big: The Musical
Freddy, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Franz/Dennis, Sunday in the Park with George
Frederic, The Pirates of Penzance
Historian/others, Spamalot

Up next:
???

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:07 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Other...
I haven't seen it. But the year it came out, I read the book. Even without knowing the melodies, the lyrics of one song moved me to tears. Sorry, I can't recall which song, or whether it was a solo.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:00 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

As soon as I heard it was to be staged as a musical, my first thought was.....Why?

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:27 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

How long is it? What's the rough cast size? Any good songs to steal for an audition for a bass?

I've heard of it, and I kinda like the music, the little i know.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

i like this

Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]