The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Rebecca 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Rebecca
I wouldn't blame him, personally. His experiences on this side of the pond have been jaw-droppingly awful.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:15 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
I wouldn't blame him as well... although I still hope that Rebecca will get a chance over there. It's such a beautiful show (I saw it again yesterday, and I'm still in love with it... and absolutely have to go back in December, if we manage to plan all the trains etc.).
But it's weird over here as well... In Stuttgart it's apparently a flop, and they are going to stop in January already, while in Sankt Gallen every show is sold out (Ok, they are playing a lot less shows over there then in Stuttgart, but still... I spoke to people yesterday who wanted to go last spring, but couldn't get any tickets, because it sells so well...)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That is odd. It was my understanding that it was doing well in Stuttgart.

Have you seen Kirstin Ibald as Danvers? I hear she's amazing.

Also, now it's 'clear' that four of the investors for Rebecca on Broadway never existed.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

They are already stopping it, apparently because it's not selling very well... And I hear from friends that it's never full when they are there (I only was in Stuttgart once, because I like the cast in Sankt Gallen better, so I prefer to go there, even if it's farther away)

Yes, I have seen her every show until now. I know she won't be there next time, but usually she is playing (both in Stuttgart and Sankt Gallen). I really like her in the part, she's really good!!

Never existed?? It really starts to sound weirder and weirder, what happened over there...

(excuse my typing mistakes by the way... just got back from a weekend in Sankt Gallen and Vienna (where I discovered Máté was also still alive, because he visited the same musical as I did...), and I haven't slept a lot in those days...)

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Wow. That's upsetting. But at least it had a decent run.

I heard her sing Rebecca. She seems really charismatic and awesome.

Yeah, I can't believe this stuff happened. It feels like an internet scam, except a thousand times bigger.

Of course Máté is still alive! He just spends so much time in Japan, though. Mitsuko and all that.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:38 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Sorry... I read your question wrong (I really should be rested before going on any boards ;))
I haven't seen Kerstin as Mrs. Danvers, just as Beatrice. We deliberately booked the show last Saturday because Maya would still be there (I absolutely love her Mrs. Danvers). Kerstin will play until half November, but I won't make that, it's simply too far just to check out an understudy. (Ok, we will be doing that in December when Tim Reichwein will play Favell, but both me and my friend don't like Andreas Wolfram as Favell...)
And Carin Filipcic who is playing Mrs. Van Hopper again?? Brilliance, pure brilliance... there won't be another Mrs. Van Hopper for me... Ever!

Yeah, and now he is back in Japan for the anniversary show of Elisabeth (that's why he was in Vienna, to rehearse for that). I just hope he'll come back to Europe once. I just didn't expect him to walk out a door where I was waiting for André Bauer ;)

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oh, okay, that makes sense. How is Maya in the role then?

Do there will be an anniversary show of Elisabeth? Hopefully not with an announcement that they're headed to Broadway at the end!

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:54 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Maya is really human... she acts more like a mother who lost herself in mourning and got crazy because of that. Which makes her Mrs. Danvers pretty scary... She is not like that because she's crazy, everyone can get there. I talked with her about the part last year, and she said she took her inspiration from parents who lost their children to find out how Mrs. Danvers felt. Although I had the feeling that in the new season (this year) she is somewhat stronger and more evil than last year.

They have a tour or something like that in Japan. I don't know exactly who will play there, but at least Maya as Elisabeth, Máté as Tod, Lukas Perman as Rudolf (I believe), and André Bauer as FJ. According to Maya it would be the last time they would play with this cast.
And if they planned a move to Broadway, I think Kunze is reconsidering right now ;)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
It's ALIIIIIIIVE!!! XD

It's good to hear the Maya is takign such a different approach with Danvers. Though Pia probably has the stronger voice, I feel like she isn't doing anyhting interesting with the role.

I wouldn't mind seeing Elisabeth on Broadway XD. But who would you cast? Drew Sarich is about the only actor I can think of for Tod, but casting Sisi would be real tough, Sierra Boggess, maybe? Angela Lansbury as Sophie (if she doesnt kick the bucket first XP)?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I thought Pia was taking the closet lesbian approach to Danvers? As opposed to Maya's mother figure, and Susan's Goddess worship.

Not Broadway, but:

Elisabeth: Jemma Rix
Death: ?
Lucheni: John O'Hara
Fraz Joseph: Shaun Rennie, maybe. Not sure how low he can go.
Sophie: Debbie Byrne
Rudolf: ?
Max: Michael Cormic
Ludovica/Frau Wolf: Delia Hannah

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mrs. Danvers is a really great role because there are so many ways to approach her. I personally think that I haven't seen a bad Danvers yet, though obviously I like me some closet gheeeyyy. I don't think that when playing this role, one should play evil. Obviously Danny doesn't see herself as evil, she's totally in the right. Most villains think they're in the right.

Sierra Boggess would be nice, but I think that Teal Wicks would be even better. John Barrowman as Der Tod. For entertainment value. Um Josh Young as Lucheni?

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Of course Mrs. Danvers doesn't see herself as evil, she's only protecting the rightful place of her beloved Rebecca.
I liked Pia as well, but I love Maya's acting... I think that if you look only at the singing, almost no-one can top Pia, but musical is more that just singing, and it's the acting of Maya I loved, and that touched me so. The moment Ich throws the Amor in the box, and it breaks again, Maya's Nein breaks my heart... (the people behind me had to laugh about that Saturday :( ...

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next