The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Rebecca 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Rebecca
You're right... the Satine could look a little bit more thrilled... The first think I did when sitting behind my laptop and hearing Jesper sing that song for her was starting to smile... (Please, can he come back in a production where I at least can see him live once??). It looks like Jesper is the best thing about that production...

As for Maya/Pia... I think it's inevitable when 2 people play the part at the same time to mak a comparison. I think they both chose their own interpretation, and that Pia's interpretation is more evil then Maya's (then again, I haven't seen Pia yet, only heard her, so I don't know how she plays it). What I do know is that Maya chose the mourning interpretation... she told us about the comparisons she made to understand Mrs. Danvers, not only wanting to play her evil, but that she wanted to understand the audience why she did that (and she managed... and that's maybe more scaring then just a mad woman... knowing why she did it, knowing it is only human what she does, and because of that knowing that maybe you would also be able to do that).
I'm afraid it will be a "... is better than ..." discussion, while it (probably) is a "I like ...s interpretation better". (And I know that Pia has a hard job getting me to like her interpretation better than Maya's, because I just loved that... But I definitely want to see Pia try, so I have to book my ticket when she is playing (and when Thomas is still playing Maxim... it's kind of hard to plan it ;)))

Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeD0o-2K5do

I can't say I like these changes. The original was smoother and more brooding.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
So lately, there's been a bit of drama regarding the Broadway production of Rebecca. Here's a quick rundown on what happened;

Among the investors for this show was Paul Abrams, who promised 4.5 million dollars to the project. The producer did not elect to met this gentleman in person; they cancelled their one meeting, and the producer never thought to fly overseas to meet him.

When the time came for the money, the producer was informed that his primary investor had died of malaria. In England. Odd. Now 4.5 mil short, the producer delayed the production and looked for Abrams' estate and was met with nothing.

So it looks like we're screwed.

Last edited by Canadian Drama Geek on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Apparently the producer has found investors to help with the huge money problem that Rebecca was faced with, and the cast is on track to start rehearsing on October 1.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"Due to the unfortunate withdrawal of a crucial investor, Rebecca the Musical has been postponed indefinitely. All current performances have been cancelled and ticket holders will be fully refunded. The producers wish to thank everyone for their continued support and remain committed to bringing this wonderful and unique musical to Broadway in the future."

I have my doubts it will be back any time soon.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Lawsuits! Hurray!

First Tanz, now this. I can't wait to see what happens when Kunze and co. decide to bring Elisabeth to Broadway.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
It almost reads like a soap serie... what a pity!
I think Kunze will think twice before bringing Elisabeth to Broadway, after Tanz and now this...

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

One day, there will be musicals based on the story of Kunze shows going to Broadway. After there are the appropriate drama with failed productions of Elisabeth and Mozart.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Producers 2, Or How to Screw Over European Theatre

XD

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The go-between for Ben Sprecher, the producer, and the mysterious, maybe-fictional (?) Paul Abrams is being investigated for financial fraud unrelated to Rebecca. It just gets better and better.

In other news, Karen Mason, who was going to be Broadway's Mrs Danvers, has released a statement regarding the theories regarding the whole debacle. Mainly, she wishes to counter the accusations that Mr Sprecher invented Paul Abrams to attract investors.

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Here's a great articlethat outlines everything that went in on in the last few months. I reallllly don't want Ben Sprecher trying to produce this show anymore. I want someone else.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Even if Sprecher didn't intentionally do anything wrong, he's still demonstrated terrible incompetence in the whole process. They really do need another producer.

Hopefully, Kunze doesn't just pack up and go home.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next