Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
Rebecca 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
Post Rebecca
Because this show used to have a thread, and we've been spamming the Elisabeth thread with stuff about the show.

Rebecca is a German-language musical based on the gothic novel by Daphne du Maurier and also borrowing elements of the famous Hitchcock film adaptation. It's creators, Sylvester Levay and Michael Kunze, writers of such shows as Elisabeth, Mozart!, and Marie Antoinette. Since its inception in 2005, it has played in Russia, Finland, Austria, Hungary and Japan.

Now it will be covering new ground; according to unconfimed rumours, the St. Gallen production in Switzerland has recently cast Thomas Borchert as Maxim de Winter, while a New York reading with Sierra Boggess as the female protagonist, Carolee Carmello as Mrs. Danvers, and Hugh Panaro as Maxim de Winter has been announced.

So. that's my job done. Now, video spam may commence. :D

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Post Re: Rebecca
You asked for videospam. And of course the king of videospam is...

Sweet Jesus. This made my day, even more then the clip of Thomas Borchert doing it that this one was linked to XD

Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I sort of meant video spam pertaining to Rebecca, luvvie. :lol: Still hilarious.

I'm pretty sure there's a clip of Mate singing the same song; he has a cane. :D

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
Now that I finally read through all 260+ pages of the Elisabeth topic (and was bombarded with videospam which I thoroughly enjoyed! :) ), I feel confident enough to make my first post here.

I discovered Rebecca a few months ago, and fell in love with it immediately! It introduced me to some of my favorite singers - including Uwe! (Yes, I magically somehow avoided learning about Der Tod before this...) I have to say, although the German production is amazing, I vastly prefer the Hungarian version. My favorite song is the parallel of Die Neue Mrs.de Winter - Az Újabb Mrs.de Winter. It just sounds so perfectly...sinister.

I do have one question, for anyone who might know the musical better than I: Does anyone know where I could find the Hungarian version of Gott, Warum? I've looked all over, but since I don't know the title it's next to impossible. (The literal translation of "Gott, Warum?" would be "Isten, Miért?", but I'm 99% sure they didn't translate it literally.)

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hi Lorre, good to meet you! Impressive that you've read all the Elisabeth pages; I don't think I've read all the Elisabeth pages. :D

I do enjoy the Hungarian cast(s) greatly, particularly Lilla Polyak and Zoltan Bereczki (love that man), though I wish we had a recording of Anna Peller and Szilveszter in the same roles. :D Well, beggars can't be choosers.

As for your question, Gott Warum's called Jégmosoly in Hungarian, and:

Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Tanz der Vampire
Jégmosoly isn't Gott Warum, it's Kein Lächeln War Je So Kalt. The Hungarian cast recording doesn't have Gott Warum - it has a rather strange selection of songs on occasion, I think... So you'll have to look for bootlegs if you want to hear that song. I forget what its name is in Hungarian, though I can see if the program booklet lists it.

Also, Anna doesn't play Danvers, so it would be hard to get a recording of her in the role unless it was a concert where she performs the songs. ;) My own ideal Danvers would have been Füredi Nikolett, but they stuck her as Beatrice instead.

What happened to the old Rebecca thread, by the way? I didn't think it was that long since it still was here...

Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Sorry about the random spam, but you just can't have a spamming session here without crazy Uwe clips XD

Hi (again) Lorre!

I don't know too much about the Hungarian production. I'm more a fan of the Austrain production, but I LOVE the principal Danvers from the Toho (?) company's production in Japan...

I'm also incredibly excited for Thomas Borchert playing Mixim in St. Gallen ^^

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:25 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

There is another hilarious clip of Uwe singing that song... (something with kind of Lederhosen, and large silver boots with high soles and heels... It made my day :D)

As for Rebecca... I don't know where the old thread went...
It's a pity the West End production won't run... But I'm really looking forward to the Sankt Gallen production! I think it is already confirmed? Because I've heard from it because of the twitteraccount of Thomas Borchert (well.... his management I presume). It will premiere on Oktober 22nd this year. I'm curious when they will start selling tickets, because I really want to go there!

And hi Lorre! You've read the entire Elisabeth thread?? :shock: (well... I've done it too I think... it is really funny... and embarassing sometimes.... :oops:

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Tanz der Vampire
It was recently posted also on Borchert's official site that he would play Maxim in St Gallen, so I think it's as official as it can be. I'm curious about the rest of the cast, too, but I think we'll have to wait a bit longer for that...

Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

oh geez, I mixed up Maxim's angsty songs. :/ Don't mind me, I post when I'm tired.

Also uber-excited for Thomas Borchert's Maxim, if only because he'd do a great Gott Warum.

When they cleaned up the forum, I think Rebecca got the boot for one reason or another. Oh well. We can start again. :D

Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

No, the thread's still there. I looked. It just died a slow, painful death from abandonment...

Valancy: Ah, that would explain it. My first reaction to that video was "...This is a very odd arrangement of the song. :? "

Thomas Borchert as Maxim? YAY! I prefer him in roles where he gets to show off his strong voice, than ones where he's sort of restrained to softer songs. (Which was why I ate him up as Dracula - delightfully few ballads!) I think it might be interesting, though, seeing as I'm never sure how I'll like him as whatever character.

Yep, I did read the entire thread...however, as a side effect, I completely forgot what went on in most of the pages. (Well, besides the constant Mate fangirling - THAT I remember perfectly. ;) )

And thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone. :)

Oh! Oh! I've got some videospam (actually related to Rebecca):

This actually surprised me. I was skeptical at first about how well Tim's voice (a slightly weak one, in my opinion) would be able to handle this song, but he does great!

Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oh, it is still there? :? My bad.

You can't begrudge us a little bit of Mate-fangirling, luvvie. :D

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 222 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next