The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
BABY IT'S YOU: a New Biographical Jukebox Musical 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post BABY IT'S YOU: a New Biographical Jukebox Musical
Playbill has news about this new musical, which tells the story of 'the New Jersey housewife who discovered the pop group The Shirelles, and created a record label for new voices in the 1960s:

Pasadena Playhouse wrote:
Wrapped in the sensational songs of the '60s, Baby It's You! is the new musical about the groundbreaking girl group, The Shirelles, and Florence Greenberg, the New Jersey housewife who discovered them. With the help of African-American songwriter-producer Luther Dixon, who became her lover, Florence took on a male dominated industry and revolutionized pop music. Her company, Scepter Records, created the most important songs in the golden era of rock 'n' roll, from artists including The Isley Brothers, The Kingsmen, Chuck Jackson and Dionne Warwick.

So it's a reverse gender Jersey Boys? But if we look at the photos -

Image Image

- perhaps it looks more like a low-key, low-budget Dreamgirls with one extra dream.

:mrgreen:

Last edited by RainbowJude on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:38 am
Profile WWW

Jesus, I'm ALL for having black girls belt face... but when you're essentially just redoing Dreamgirls, I'm not even CLOSE to being on board :( Hopefully I'm surprised, and it's brilliant though!

Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:25 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post BABY IT'S YOU: a New Biographical Jukebox Musical
OK, so I have not heard good things about this show. In fact, most of what I have heard about this show since it opened on Broadway has been downright nasty. But the first really interesting thing I've read about this show is the news of Beverly Lee, Dionne Warwick and Chuck Jackson filing of a lawsuit against the show for using 'the details within the individual history and styling of these nationally treasured, lifetime artists.' Apparently they all feel that the producers of the Broadway show 'should not receive financial gain or other benefits from the use of these great artists' lives and success without having consent to do so.'

One would presume, given past practice, that one can make use of the biographies of public figures as long as no libel is committed. Otherwise we would never have the overwhelming amount of biographical films, shows and books that are available about anyone and everyone in the public eye. I'm certain that the producers have obtained the rights to use the music that is featured in the show too, which is not to my knowledge owned by The Shirelles or Warwick or Jackson, and one would assume that they have advisors who checked out any legalities around the relevant figures portrayed in the show. And then there is the timing of this lawsuit. It is as if the complainants have waited for the show to open on Broadway, when the most publicity could be drummed out of the event. The show has already been seen elsewhere: why was it not a problem then? It all seems like a calulated and rather desperate grab for money and publicity to me. It's the kind of thing that is perhaps more fit for the likes of Judge Mathis or Judy Judy than for the setting of a formal courtroom.

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:46 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: BABY IT'S YOU: a New Biographical Jukebox Musical
I have zero interest in seeing this.

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]