The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
POP! - the Andy Warhol Musical 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post POP! - the Andy Warhol Musical
The Yale Repertory Theatre of a new musical, POP!, with book and lyrics by Maggie-Kate Coleman and music by Anna K. Jacobs, opened this past weekend. I'd browsed articles about it - mainly, I admit, because it stars Queer as Folk alumnus Randy Harrison - without realising it was a musical until this morning. Playbill's article about the show offers, amongst other things, a brief synopsis:

Adam Hetrick wrote:
Press notes for POP! read: "Who shot Andy Warhol? The fabulous drag queen Candy Darling hosts a happening whodunit musical in which the famous — and infamous — denizens of Warhol's legendary Factory all have motives to pull the trigger. But the pop art icon unravels an even bigger mystery as he confronts not only the prime suspects, but also his art and his own greatest creation: himself."

We also have some photos, from a photo gallery at Playbill, with a couple of extra shots in the "opening night" article. Just three of the shots:

The set looks better in some shots than in others, though it still looks a bit thrown together, and the use of the live camera feed on stage looks like it could be interesting. The costumes look super all around, I think.

A promotional video clip from rehearsals is up at YouTube. I want to see it, again mainly because of Harrison (who, I'll admit, seems a little out of his depth here), but also the song sounds really interesting too!

Later days
David

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: POP! - the Andy Warhol Musical
Thank you informed me.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]