Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Next To Licenceing 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post Re: Next To Licenceing
Please,Hello wrote:
Fast-track licencing has been announced for Next to Normal by MTI. My local theatre group is already looking at it. I will certainly be auditioning.

Good luck!

It'll have more opportunities to touch people's lives than ever before. Community theatre directors just have to be careful to keep the essence of the show similar to that of the Broadway show. Next to Normal should NOT be done at the high school level. I'm sure some college could pull it off well but you just have to be careful that the emotions portrayed in a production are pure and not forced. High school actors haven't experienced the full emotions of this show so they are blind in terms of acting these roles. They think they know the emotions of these characters but they haven't lived long enough to truly understand them.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:02 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Sadly, most of the community Is high schoolers and college students who will be eligible for the show. It's also a class along with the productions that they put on so this isn't for big profit or anything, it's for the experience
of the student.

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Please,Hello wrote:
Sadly, most of the community Is high schoolers and college students who will be eligible for the show. It's also a class along with the productions that they put on so this isn't for big profit or anything, it's for the experience
of the student.

All I can say is I hope it goes well. :)

Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

WickedToo wrote:
Please,Hello wrote:
Fast-track licencing has been announced for Next to Normal by MTI. My local theatre group is already looking at it. I will certainly be auditioning.

Good luck!

It'll have more opportunities to touch people's lives than ever before. Community theatre directors just have to be careful to keep the essence of the show similar to that of the Broadway show. Next to Normal should NOT be done at the high school level. I'm sure some college could pull it off well but you just have to be careful that the emotions portrayed in a production are pure and not forced. High school actors haven't experienced the full emotions of this show so they are blind in terms of acting these roles. They think they know the emotions of these characters but they haven't lived long enough to truly understand them.

Wouldn't a 17 year old girl who has experienced a mother with bipolar portray the character of Natalie better than a 30 year old without such experience, and which most people never will believe is 17?

I hate when High Schools do shows like these, because it demands some of the kids to play way older than they can act or even look, but I also hate it when professional productions put on productions like these and cast a 30 year old woman who is an amazing actor, who portrays a brilliant 17 year old, but looks way to old.

I would rather take a 17 year old actress who has a hard time projecting the feelings of Natalie any day over a 30 year old projecting the emotions brilliantly, but without the looks. Also, wouldn't the inability this would-be 17 year old has to project the emotions be how an actual 17 year old would react in the situation if it was real?

Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

High-baritonne wrote:
WickedToo wrote:
Please,Hello wrote:

Good luck!

Wouldn't a 17 year old girl who has experienced a mother with bipolar portray the character of Natalie better than a 30 year old without such experience, and which most people never will believe is 17?

I hate when High Schools do shows like these, because it demands some of the kids to play way older than they can act or even look, but I also hate it when professional productions put on productions like these and cast a 30 year old woman who is an amazing actor, who portrays a brilliant 17 year old, but looks way to old.

I would rather take a 17 year old actress who has a hard time projecting the feelings of Natalie any day over a 30 year old projecting the emotions brilliantly, but without the looks. Also, wouldn't the inability this would-be 17 year old has to project the emotions be how an actual 17 year old would react in the situation if it was real?

Generalizing life in the 21st century, I would say that most children/teens do not have a bipolar mother. If a teen had a bipolar mother and she could play Natalie well, I would cast her but I feel that most teens can't comprehend the full emotions that this show requires an actor to feel and portray to an audience. An example of this would be the Next to Normal in 7 minutes video that I have posted previously. Let me know if you would like me to post it again.

This show is moving because either an audience member has dealt with depression or being bipolar or they know someone who has. With the way the world is going, I think there will be more bipolar mothers in the future so more people will be able to relate to this show. Personally, this show was touching to me because I have taken medication for depression and I can relate to all of the characters of Next to Normal in some way.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
I don't think they are the only reasons the show is 'moving' to an audience..I mean, the only person I know who has bipolar I absolutely loathe, so it doesn't make Diana more sympathetic a character to me. I think many of the issues explored in the show are rather universal.

/OT but this is what annoys me about the upcoming Australian production of N2N...they keep describing it in terms of Diana and her mental illness:

(From Melbourne Theatre Company):

"Preparing for just another day, suburban mother Diana Goodman makes the family’s lunches and cannot stop. The piles of sandwiches signal her gradually loosening grip – on her life, on her family, on her sanity. Soon, there is a doctor, a diagnosis and a course of treatment, yet the cause to this case of ordinary madness lies beyond medicine and therapy.

An emotional powerhouse of a musical. Winner of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize, Next to Normal is about a woman lost to herself and her family."

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I agree with you on the universal themes. Each of the characters brings a different life lesson to the audience and from that; anyone can relate to the show.

It's easy to get caught in the trap of focusing on solely Diana in this musical. I think that Melbourne Theatre Company's description of Next to Normal is too focused on Diana's character. The artwork describes the musical perfectly, in my opinion. The use of the eyes and music notes jumbled up in between the eyes symbolize Diana and her bipolar mind but under that is the house and the house symbolizes the family and how the different lives of the characters intersect in the musical. I think the artwork is brilliant and couldn't be done any better.

Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
WickedToo wrote:
dolbinau wrote:
Quote:
Next to Normal would be a wonderful community theatre production after coming off Broadway (hopefully not anytime soon).

Well it is closing in Jan...is that not soon :P?

I hadn't heard that it was planned to close. Playbill confirms it.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/14 ... an-16-2011

I saw it with the Original Broadway Cast and it was just perfect. While watching the show I didn't like it but after seeing the whole thing and buying the Original Broadway Cast Recording, it has become one of my favorite musicals. It's hard to take it all in when you first see it.

I know this isn't fair to say but I'm going to say it anyway. I will blame the closing of Next to Normal on Marin Mazzie. The way she portrays her character, Diana, in "I Miss The Mountains" is so detached and unreal. Diana's character would never pour all of her pills into the trash all at once. Also, Mazzie's physical expression when she sings about how the air cuts her like a knife. It's so detached from who the character of Diana is. Diana wouldn't do such a thing. I think the hardest thing with Next to Normal is the Original Broadway Cast had worked on this show before it actually came to Broadway so they had much time to formulate their characters and everyone loved the Original Broadway Cast. When the new cast took over, the show wasn't the same and didn't have the same dynamic as it did originally. That's probably why it's closing as well. Alice Ripley was simply brilliant is her portrayal of Diana and no one could top it.
Mazzie's "I Miss The Mountains" is 2:30 - 2:57 in the video clip.

It's funny because in a video of Alice RIpley in the tour of next to normal I saw, Ripley throws her pills in the bin in a similar way to mazzie does (all at once).

Catching the tour in July.....Marin Mazzie in next to normal was one of the best performances I ever saw on a stage, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the compare.

Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sorry to necropost, but the original question brought to mind two huge issues of doing this in CT:

1. language (there are probably a dozen f-bombs? Can't elide that and just claim oops you forgot)
2. Finding FOUR men who can rock belt at that range.

I'm sure someone somewhere will give it a go and can overcome the hurdles, but it's going to be mighty thin on the ground.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:09 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

So I just found this thread and needed to chime in.

So last April I was a part of a local production of N2N and while it was done in the southeast (Nashville) the show was received very well!

Of course it doesn't hurt when the talent pool that came out for the production was an embarassment of riches.

The set was very minimalist and of course again since the production was done in Music City the band was top shelf.

The thing I think that really sold the show though was its promotion. The producers worked very closely with NAMI (National Allicance of Mental Illness) and really pushed the message of the show while still keeping the complete integrity of the script. Nothing was watered down or cut.

The end result was sold out houses for our four week run.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7