Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Next To Licenceing 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Bare, Next to Normal
Post Re: Next To Licenceing
dolbinau wrote:
Quote:
Next to Normal would be a wonderful community theatre production after coming off Broadway (hopefully not anytime soon).

Well it is closing in Jan...is that not soon :P?

I hadn't heard that it was planned to close. Playbill confirms it.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/14 ... an-16-2011

I saw it with the Original Broadway Cast and it was just perfect. While watching the show I didn't like it but after seeing the whole thing and buying the Original Broadway Cast Recording, it has become one of my favorite musicals. It's hard to take it all in when you first see it.

I know this isn't fair to say but I'm going to say it anyway. I will blame the closing of Next to Normal on Marin Mazzie. The way she portrays her character, Diana, in "I Miss The Mountains" is so detached and unreal. Diana's character would never pour all of her pills into the trash all at once. Also, Mazzie's physical expression when she sings about how the air cuts her like a knife. It's so detached from who the character of Diana is. Diana wouldn't do such a thing. I think the hardest thing with Next to Normal is the Original Broadway Cast had worked on this show before it actually came to Broadway so they had much time to formulate their characters and everyone loved the Original Broadway Cast. When the new cast took over, the show wasn't the same and didn't have the same dynamic as it did originally. That's probably why it's closing as well. Alice Ripley was simply brilliant is her portrayal of Diana and no one could top it.
Mazzie's "I Miss The Mountains" is 2:30 - 2:57 in the video clip.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
FYI Mazzie has been pretty well received.

Quote:
"Diana's character would never pour all of her pills into the trash all at once"

She so desperately wants to 'feel' again that she disposes her medication as fast as she can? I don't see what is unbelievable about that. Why would "Diana's character" never do such a thing? lol.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:40 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

And bear in mind that video was filmed right at the beginning of Mazzie's run - she's grown so much since then. One of my friends is practically Ripey's biggest fan, thinks she can do no wrong, and recently admitted that she actually thought Mazzie's performance was better.

Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:11 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
Personally, I saw both the original cast and the new cast and I prefered the new one.

Alice and Marin's performances are totally different, that's true, but both are amazing. When I sat down before the show last october, I didn't want to see a copy of Alice Ripley. Marin Mazzie appropriated herself the role and gave her own personal touch. That's how "replacement" should be on Broadway. You can't just copy what the original cast member did.

As for the rest of the cast, Jason Danieley got a great voice and I thought he had more subtility than Bobby Spencer. (I saw the original production soon after opening, while I saw the new cast 4 months after their premiere, so maybe Spencer was still searching all the subtilities of Dan).
I prefered Jennifer Damiano's acting over Meghann Fahy's, but my first impression of Fahy at the beginning of the show was : "Omg she got a powerful voice!"
As for Dean Massey, well, I saw him with the original cast when he was understudying Gabe. I thought he was really good and I prefered him over Brian Crumb who I saw with the new cast (funny thing : Dean Massey is way too big to be a teenager haha).

Thumbs up to Adam Kantor as Henry. (I saw his first ever performance in the show and he was amazing!)

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:56 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: MUSIC in MUSICals
Main Role: Fan
Sorry OT: The title of this thread has been driving me crazy.

Carry on.

Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

dolbinau wrote:

Quote:
"Diana's character would never pour all of her pills into the trash all at once"

She so desperately wants to 'feel' again that she disposes her medication as fast as she can? I don't see what is unbelievable about that. Why would "Diana's character" never do such a thing? lol.

I feel it's more of a struggle. In the opening number "Just Another Day", she is willing to do anything for her family. It's a struggle between herself, what her doctor is telling her, and her family. She wants to "see the mountains" again but it's a different time in her life. She has a family now and she has to take care of them as well as herself.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:57 am

Current Obsession: Musicals!
Post Re: "Next To Licenceing"
Quique wrote:
Sorry OT: The title of this thread has been driving me crazy.

Amen, brother!

Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
WickedToo wrote:
dolbinau wrote:

Quote:

I feel it's more of a struggle. In the opening number "Just Another Day", she is willing to do anything for her family. It's a struggle between herself, what her doctor is telling her, and her family. She wants to "see the mountains" again but it's a different time in her life. She has a family now and she has to take care of them as well as herself.

Coming from a family with several people with bipolar disorder, it is very credible that she would throw away her pills to "feel".

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
WickedToo wrote:
dolbinau wrote:
Quote:
Next to Normal would be a wonderful community theatre production after coming off Broadway (hopefully not anytime soon).

Well it is closing in Jan...is that not soon :P?

I hadn't heard that it was planned to close. Playbill confirms it.
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/14 ... an-16-2011

I saw it with the Original Broadway Cast and it was just perfect. While watching the show I didn't like it but after seeing the whole thing and buying the Original Broadway Cast Recording, it has become one of my favorite musicals. It's hard to take it all in when you first see it.

I know this isn't fair to say but I'm going to say it anyway. I will blame the closing of Next to Normal on Marin Mazzie. The way she portrays her character, Diana, in "I Miss The Mountains" is so detached and unreal.
Mazzie's "I Miss The Mountains" is 2:30 - 2:57 in the video clip.

Well after seeing Mazzie I don't think I'd in any way 'blame' the close on her. The "Music Box" scene is unbelievably, tragically moving. Although the tears were running down her face A LOT, her Diana was also so 'strong', her "You Don't Know/I Am the One" and "You don't know (reprise)" were really forceful, I guess it made her sudden 'leaving' more plausible. I just found it such an emotional experience - as did practically everyone around me. If there are specific concerns with her performance I can recall how she does it for you.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:59 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I saw both casts, as well. I don't think the new cast has anything to do with the shows' closing. Marin and Alice gave very different performances, but one was not necessarily better than the other. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Next To Normal had a very respectable run on Broadway, especially for a show that deals with material that mainstream audiences may consider taboo. Now that Phantom has run for 20+ years, Wicked for 7+, Mamma Mia for 10, Chicago, etc, people forget that a 2 year run on Broadway is/was a success. I'm happy it lasted as long as it did.

Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thanks everyone for your insight!

Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:25 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Falsettos (forever), Avenue Q, The Scottsboro Boys
Main Role: Performer
Fast-track licencing has been announced for Next to Normal by MTI. My local theatre group is already looking at it. I will certainly be auditioning.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next