The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Anyone else love Carrie the Musical? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Anyone else love Carrie the Musical?
I know it's considered one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, of Broadway flops. But is there anyone else who, like me, loves the music for this? I have heard soundboard recordings from the Broadway production and the video that exists of the Stratford production. Certainly, the staging and costumes leave a lot to be desired, but the performances and much of the music show the potential it had.

And Eve Was Weak is one of the best songs I've ever heard from a musical. The power and emotion in the song is incredible. Betty Buckley takes the song to the stratosphere. Her performance deserved more attention than it received, as critics seemed to focus on the sections that didn't quite work. I wish I could have seen one of those Broadway performances.

Linzi Hateley, after such a challenging debut, has a consistent career in London's West End these days, but her performance in Carrie is deserving of more acclaim. I accept some of the problems with the high school songs, but the music and performances are amazing whenever Carrie and her mother share the stage.

The more poppy sides of the score could have benefited from a more realistic high school setting. And I think there's a huge amount that can be reclaimed from the score, if anyone has the guts to try and bring it back. And, of course, if the creators would allow it.

Anyone else agree/disagree?

Last edited by mondo75 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:36 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
I don't know anything about the show, but I know there are a few members on this forum that LOVE it.

I'm thinking Beagle and Quique?? Hopefully they will visit this page :)

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
What is the quality of the Soundboard like?

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:26 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I've heard some with pops and hisses throughout, but the one offered here - www.carriethemusical.com - is pretty high quality. The recording of the Stratford production isn't as good, but still gives an indication how much the orchestrations changed before the show made its way to Broadway.

If only if it was as easy to get soundboard recordings for other Broadway shows I missed/was too young to see at the time.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I don't know anything about the show, but I know there are a few members on this forum that LOVE it.

I'm thinking Beagle and Quique?? Hopefully they will visit this page :)

Doesn't everyone love it?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:41 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: next to normal
dolbinau wrote:

I've heard some with pops and hisses throughout, but the one offered here - www.carriethemusical.com - is pretty high quality. The recording of the Stratford production isn't as good, but still gives an indication how much the orchestrations changed before the show made its way to Broadway.

If only if it was as easy to get soundboard recordings for other Broadway shows I missed/was too young to see at the time.

Which recording should I download from that website, if I've never heard the show at all, in any way/shape/form>. (Or rather which is the highest quality? - The Demo, workshop, Stratford etc..?)

Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:54 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Which recording should I download from that website, if I've never heard the show at all, in any way/shape/form>. (Or rather which is the highest quality? - The Demo, workshop, Stratford etc..?)

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The best one to start with is the one called Final Broadway Performance. This is the best quality both technically and artistically, although the quality of all the audio recordings is surprisingly good. Another benefit of the Final Broadway Performance is it features the full Broadway cast, including the amazing Betty Buckley. You can then work back and hear how it was done in the workshop and then evolved.

Hope you enjoy. :D
Any other questions, feel free to send a private message. Mondo

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:40 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

That site seems to no longer exist. Any other pages I find with the soundboard (pref the final show) also don't seem to work or don't seem to load in iTunes.

Does anybody have it and would be willing to share? I would trade for it but unfortunately a couple months back, I lost EVERYTHING. Which is awful considering I spent 2 years trading like crazy and had some rare stuff.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Thu May 13, 2010 1:34 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re:
overthemoo wrote:
That site seems to no longer exist. Any other pages I find with the soundboard (pref the final show) also don't seem to work or don't seem to load in iTunes.

Does anybody have it and would be willing to share? I would trade for it but unfortunately a couple months back, I lost EVERYTHING. Which is awful considering I spent 2 years trading like crazy and had some rare stuff.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

It's back online. I was literally just there re-grabbing a few things.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:24 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Re: Anyone else love Carrie the Musical?
I love this show. Words cannot express how much I LOVE it.

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]