The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Seussical, with 13 People 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Seussical, with 13 People
My friend was recently in a production of Seussical, and they had a tiny cast of 13! I didn't see the production, but I was wondering what everyone thinks of this idea. The cast doubled as follows:

-Cat in the Hat, Grinch
-Horton, Fish
-Gertrude, Cadet
-JoJo
-Mayzie, Mrs. Mayor
-Sour Kangaroo, Who, Cadet, Circus, Hunch
-Schmitz, Yertle, Who, Fish, Circus, Hunch
-Bird Girl, Who, Fish, Circus
-Wickersham, Mr. Mayor
-Wickersham, Cadet, Circus, Hunch
-Wickersham, Cadet, Circus, Hunch

I think Seussical would lose a ton if it's flare with having virtually no chorus. Although, all the numbers would be a lot 'cleaner', and the stage would not be cluttered at all. However, I think this is an example of having too small of a cast. The wings must have been HELL, because almost all costume changes would have to take place there, considering how quickly the scenes flow.

I'll have to ask my friend about how The Trial was handled, seeing as almost all characters are in that scene. I suppose it could be done with only the mayor family representing the Who population, which would add to the effect of how small Who really is, but I think this would lower the stakes of saving Who.

The casting that baffles me the most is having one actress play both Mayzie and Mrs Mayor while you have 3 chorus girls - wouldn't it make more sense to have Mayzie in the Who chorus, and have a chorus girl play Mrs. Mayor?

All in all, I don't think I like this idea, but it's very interesting to think about.

Mon May 18, 2009 8:18 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

While my cast was MUCH bigger than 13, a lot of our cast members doubled as well. Our cast was as follows:

Jojo (double cast, 2 girls, 1 per performance)
The Cat in The Hat/General Schmitz/Yertle
Horton
Gertrude
Mayzie
Mr. Mayor
Mrs. Mayor
Sour Kangaroo
Young Kangaroo (double cast, 2 girls, 1 per performance)
5 Wickershams (all doubling as Circus performers & Hunches)
8 Bird Girls (usually 4 per show, sometimes all 8, all doubling as Circus performers & Hunches)

Cadet Chorus
Fish/Jungle of Nool Chorus
Who Chorus

We performed the show at times with only 3 Wickershams and only 3 Bird Girls, which messed us up quite a bit because of the way everything was blocked/choreographed to have many more people. The main doubling was among the Wickershams and Bird Girls, as we (I was a Wickersham) had very fast costume changes in Act II from "Egg, Nest, and Tree" into our Circus costumes for "Horton at the Circus/Solla Sollew" into our Hunch costumes for "Havin' a Hunch". Granted, the Wickershams only changed vests, added a hat and gloves, and the Bird girls added different hats, gloves, and skirts, we were also the ones moving the set pieces for all of these scenes.

Recently: Salesman #2/Featured Dancer - The Music Man
Currently: Pablo - Suicide in B Flat
Coming Up: Sebastian - The Tempest

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:41 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]