The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 272, 273, 274, 275, 276  Next
Elisabeth 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Elisabeth
Yay Mistress!! I'm not the only one ;). For me he has the same qualities... he found a really good balance between aggressivity, sensuality, the way he approaches Elisabeth and Rudolf... And he has a new song ;). I still think it's not absolutely necessary, but I have to admit I did like Kein kommen oder Gehen in the show. It explains nicely why he doesn't take Elisabeth as he wants her so much (like he does with little Sophie, and in a way also with Rudolf), and it elaborates the lines in the Prologue about love being something unknown to him.

I still would have love to see Drew Sarich as Lucheni though... but he'll be in Hamburg for Rocky, so I think we won't have a chance. Or Elisabeth has to play on really long (on the other hand... Mark did post on his facebook that he was looking forward to the next 865 shows... I don't know how much he invented on this number, but that would mean about 4 years...)

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Since when is "Kein kommen ohne Gehen " part of the German show? I thought they only used it in the Japanese and Hungarian productions.
By the way, I agree with Lein, Mark Seibert's performance is really impressive. Sometimes I feel that actors try to copy Uwe and/or Mate too much, but Mark's performance somehow struck me as quite unique.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:15 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Since the new Viennese version. Only for 1,5 month now ;). Until then it wasn't in there. I have to admit I didn't like the idea (as much as I like the song, I didn't think it would fit into the show), but I did like it! Like I said, not necessary, but it wasn't a problem at all.
Yes, I think that as well... of course, he looked at other actors, but he made his own character, and I really like that. (I think he did quite a lot of research... last year when we spoke about the black and white costumes, I told them they weren't black and white everywhere, that we had red costumes, and without thinking he knew Stanley played Death over here ;))

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:42 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Ok, just another reason why I absolutely HAVE to go to Vienna.
But how did they incorporate it? Is it right after "Wohin gehst du schwarzer Prinz" or did the drop that and just use "No Kommen" instead?
Death's costumes ... yes. I mean, I really like the variations (I think a red Death is fantastic!), but sometimes I just wonder what the costume designers were thinking. I mean... giant black wings and... cowboy jackets :wtf:

Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:52 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It came on the spot of Schwarzer Prinz, so he puts her in the bed, wants to walk away, she tries to hold him (like with Schwarzer Prinz) and then the song starts. I don't know if it was a solo or a duet version in Hungary and Japan (I only knew it from concertversions), but it's a duet over here. Elisabeth also sings a part, and that really looks like Schwarzer Prinz (at least the lyrics)

I absolutely loved our Red Death! I had to laugh about all the Germans/Austrians thinking a red Death was absolutely impossible ;) (there were rumours about a red costume for Mark, there even is a sketch of it in the programbook). And I think they can go everywhere with his costume because he isn't historical :). The black wings are not that weird though, they stand for ravens, and ravens are a symbol of Death in European mythology.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I only know the Japanese versions and there it's basically a short dialogue-intro ("Elisabeth, I have come to claim you and take me with you to the land of the Dead" - "Land of the Dead - no, send me back to where I came from" ... something along the lines) and then the actual song starts with only Death singing.
Lein, you do not happen to remember the actual lyrics, do you? I can only find the German lyrics with a Death-only version and I'm really curious how they have managed to fit Elisabeth in.

Red Death is great! I think it makes him somewhat diabolic. ^-^

And yes, I think the black wings on the "Death support group" fit really well. I just think that the Takarazuka-style glittery wings are over the top. And I was a little confused by Death's "military uniform" in the Takarazuka-2003(?)-Version. But now I kind of like the Love-War-analogy.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:35 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

It's a bit hard to find pictures because it's already so long ago, but this is how it looked:

I can try to find the entire lyrics (I did record it ;)), but I'll be away for a couple of days and probably won't be able to write anything down beforehand (I still have to work an afternoon right now, pack my bag and sleep...)

I have to admit I'm not that familiar with the Takarazuka productions... I'm one of those persons who want to understand what is sung, and I don't speak Japanese ;). I will have to look one of them once though, just to know how it looks ;).
The "Death support group" like you call them are also called "Death angels" in the German/Austrian versions, so wings do fit... and I like the raven reference.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:50 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Great picture! Is it with Pia?
I tried to find a picture of the Takarazuka-Production I was talking about, when at the end, Death wears those gigantic sparkly wings, but I couldn't find it. Instead, I found a Japanese RED Death. And a red Elisabeth ^-^. The link is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23nwpcn393w (curtain call, 2009). It's really flamenco-like which is as far from 20th century Vienna as it gets, but it's great entertainment, still.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:13 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

No, it's not, it's with Maaike van Widdershoven, one of the understudied (I didn't like her as much as I did Pia though). but it was one of the only pictures I could find where you could see his entire costume ;).

I can't look at the entire clip right now (work... I want to leave!!), but especially the costume from Death looks really good! I don't know what to think about Elisabeth though... Maybe I'm too attached to the traditional costumes ;).

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:29 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Love the picture! The Red Death is pretty cool, especially if you're familiar with the work of Edgar Allen Poe :DDD

So they added in No Kommen to the German production? That's cool, though I wish they'd still kept Schwarzer Prinz...I guess they starting to lean to a more romantic atmosphere for the show.

Emma, after you showed me that great article analyzing the individual productions of Elisabeth, I have to say, I appreciate the more aloof Deaths more than I used to. My problem with the rule f How-much-he-wants-Sisi, is that it leads to too much groping and an overly energetic Death, like Mate in the Vienna production. He's more like a rocker in a hair metal band than Death at times. He has some fantastic moments, like the Die Schatten preprise, but he needs to learn to tone it down a bit IMO. i like Mark Seibert, because he's sensual, but still toned down enough to be menacing...

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:43 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Parade
Main Role: Performer
The article Angela refers to is this one... And while I can see your problem, I think that 'want' can be interpreted a different amount of ways. I have a problem with overly sexual Tods, too (looking at you, Hungary), but there are Tods that actually just look stunned that they could want someone so much after being jaded for so long. There are few that can convey the loneliness of agelessness, but those rare actors are the ones that realize Tod's not going to know what he wants when he gets Elisabeth.

In Japanese (Takarazuka, at least. I can't vouch for Toho), Kein Kommen Ohne Gehen is a solo. It comes right when he spares Elisabeth from death for the first time. It actually comes before Schwarzer Prinz. It's called Ai To Shi No Rondo, which means "The Dance Between Love and Death". That's this whole show! \:D/

The flamenco Elisabeth dance-off is definitely a Taki conceit more than a part of the musical. They usually have those dances after the main event, to showcase its actors' impeccable dance skills. :D

By the way, found this. How meta does it gets when two Deaths start singing love songs to each other?:

Last edited by Canadian Drama Geek on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhLRNnDy6U

Korean Elisabeth on an awards show.

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 272, 273, 274, 275, 276  Next