The Resource For Musicals

Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
The Rink 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post The Rink
Does anybody know why this show failed on Broadway? It had a soaring Kander and Ebb score (my favorite of their collaboration--yes, I prefer it to Cabaret and Chicago), stars Chita Rivera and Liza Minnelli in the leads, and a story that (from the brief synopsis I was able to find on guidetomusicaltheatre.com) sounds like a very fascinating and powerful Sondheim-esque psychodrama. I think there must have been flaws with Terrence McNally's book that brought the show down (I'll be seeing a good community-theatre production of this show in my hometown this Sunday, so I'll be able to judge better then), because I can't see what else could have sunk it.

Anyway, does anyone who knows this show think it's worth someone trying to revive it on Broadway/Off-Broadway with a revised book and attempting to give it a second chance at life/success? (I don't think the financial risk would be too great for a small Off-Broadway revival, because the show can be done with a cast of 9 actors playing all the roles, and then it could transfer to Broadway if it were a hit.)

At any rate, for the leads I was thinking Patti LuPone as the mother and Sutton Foster as the daughter if they're available and interested.

What do people think of this idea?

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]