Other Shows Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Overrated Musicals 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Parade, Big Fish
Main Role: Performer
Post Overrated Musicals
Hi everyone! I was wondering which musicals you thought were overrated and perhaps a reason why you believe so.
Also, I would just like to say before anything happens, PLEASE do not be offended if anyone calls one of your favorite musicals overrated. It is just an OPINION! But feel free to explain why you disagree with people. :)

Tue May 12, 2015 12:25 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Overrated Musicals
In the case of all these shows, they're not worthy of all the hype they get:
-Phantom of the Opera
-Les Miserables
-Next To Normal
-Spring Awakening
-Wicked
-Shrek
-Side Show
-Legally Blonde
-Grease

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue May 12, 2015 8:30 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Guys and Dolls: I know that this is considered a classic but to me this the most BORING, OVERRATED SHOW EVER DONE. There are great songs ( my favorite is Sit Down Your'e Rocking the Boat) but the book is so long and the dialogue is slow. There have been good and bad productions. You need a great director to keep it going. It's about gambling and that's all there is to it. Also very dated. This is why I preferred and loved How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. It's faster and funnier and not as dated as Guys and Dolls. I would love to play Finch.

Grease: One word to describe this one. YUCK!!! This is why I never loved the 50s. I hated the movie but the show is better but still I'm not a fan. The only song I liked was There Are Worse Things I could do because of that blues sound. I'll take Hair over this one.

Legally Blonde: Shoot me!! Shoot me now!! That's how I felt. Shallow, vapid characters and the valley girl mentality made me want to run up and scream!!

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:03 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I forgot to mention if you want a show about crime and gangsters, watch Chicago. Much better developed female characters, snappier dialougue and score, and fast pacing. I love the movie.

Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:00 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

My list continues
West Side Story: Sorrry everybody but looking at this now, it is so dated and it doesn't hold up. Great score but Romeo and Juliet ( the grand Daddy of them all) is much better.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]