The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Is it EVER okay to lip-synch onstage...during a MUSICAL? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Is it EVER okay to lip-synch onstage...during a MUSICAL?
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

Listen to the following song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8u93phF5o

Notice how the singers' voices seem to "bounce," because they WERE actually exercising for REAL...WHILE they were singing?

Do you think that in the case of a song like "In", during which the singers are SUPPOSED to be going through a rigorous amount of blocking, onstage lip-synching IS okay, just so that the singing can sound better? Do you think that such a case of lip-synching is actually a case of "cheating"?

I think that it would be better if such songs WERE lip-synched onstage, just so that they COULD sound better.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
:?:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Is it EVER okay to lip-synch onstage...during a MUSICAL?
In the case where the actor is going to be doing a lot of moving around while he's singing, then I agree that lip syncing is okay. My biggest pet peeve is when a character is supposed to be playing a musical instrument on stage and it's so obvious that he's not actually playing it. I saw a production of Dog Sees God one time where a character was supposed to be playing the piano and it was so obvious that he wasn't. I approached the director about that later on and she replied that if the actor had to learn how to play a piece by Chopin from memory he would never be able to do it by opening night. Which I thought was absolute b******* because if that's part of the role it's up to you as the actor to make it happen no matter how inconvenient it might be.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:24 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Yeah, I think this is a case where if the audience notices it, the production wasn't good enough to pull it off and shouldn't have done it.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:15 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
There have been shows over the decades where performers have lip-synched to pre-recorded singing... Apparently, Bye Bye Birdie was the first to do that for one of the crowd song/dance numbers. Phantom of the Opera famously has the title song pre-recorded since for the first half of the song, the audience is seeing doubles on the bridge above the stage while the actual performers are already getting into the boat; and the servo motors to move the bridge are loud enough that they'd be picked up on the actors' mics if those were switched on. (They also usually pre-record the high E Christine hits at the end of that number so the actresses don't wreck their voices doing it live every time, though some like Dale Kristien in the Los Angeles company did make a point of singing that live). And Les Misérables pre-records Eponine's scream in the "Attack on Rue Plumet" scene... Apparently, the London production still uses a recording of Linzi Hately's scream from the 1980s, even decades later.

So in short: Professional companies do it, so community and school productions shouldn't be afraid to. As long as it's not so obvious that the audience can tell, it should be okay. But I'd prefer that it be done only when it absolutely needs to be done that way.

Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:36 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: http://www.poptop.uk.com
I consider such performances is a kind of cheating the audience. But that's my personal opinion

Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: whistling Jelicle Cats while I do the gardening
I do it everytime I forget my lines - I just hope the rest of the chorus don't have a similar fail at the same time! #-o

Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]