The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Is it possible for any given female to sing soprano? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Is it possible for any given female to sing soprano?
I really wanted to be a soprano and was very happy when my former and current voice teachers told me that I am by evaluating my voice.
I still want to know in general whether it is possible for any given female to become a soprano. Is it possible for her to naturally be an alto and work towards becoming a soprano? Or is the range that we naturally have set in stone. Another voice teacher told me that everyone will only ever be the range that he/she is born with and gave me an anecdote of one of her students who is a baritone and can sing till the cows come home, but will never be a tenor.
Please elaborate with details in your answer. Thanks!

Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: eternal obsession = Evita
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Is it possible for any given female to sing soprano?
Your vocal range is based on your voice, which is determined by your vocal chords, which are a part of your anatomy. So in that way, your range is "set in stone." Though of course you can receive training to develop your voice and even increase your range on either end, you will remain strongest in the range you have naturally. It is not possible to "work toward" having a completely different range (e.g., to train so that you can "switch" from being a baritone to being a tenor). However, as people age, their vocal chords change, and as such so can their vocal range. This isn't limited to the puberty-induced voice drop, either. It is not uncommon, for example, for someone who was once a soprano to become more of a mezzo or even alto as they age, simply because their voice is physically deepening.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a working vocal coach, so if anyone is, please correct me if I got any of the details wrong. (My knowledge comes from receiving vocal training from others who are professionals.)

All-Star Musical Character >> Maria, WEST SIDE STORY
Theme Song >> "Nowadays," CHICAGO

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:55 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Nearly all women are natural sopranos. Even the ones who classify themselves as mezzos are still technically sopranos, they just feel more comfortable singing mid-range, or their higher register just haven't been developed fully yet.

True altos (contraltos) are extremely rare. Unless you have seriously powerful low notes verging on tenor territory, you are not an alto.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:16 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
What Haafang said is very true. Many women who just don't have squeaky high voices think they are altos, even though very, very few women are altos. And very few women have extremely high voices. Most women are deeper sopranos or light mezzo sopranos. But it's also a matter of timbre. Altos often have hard voices, mezzos have rich voices, sopranos mostly have lighter voices.

One can train basicially everything. There are many singers with very wide ranges who have "both" ranges. CĂ©line Dion - for example - is a lyrical soprano, but calls herself a mezzo. Her voice covers both. He is male, but the musical actor Kevin Tarte is a natural baritone, trained to be a tenor. Most of his singing roles were for a tenor voice, even though he uses his baritone voice more these days (okay, he's in his late 50ies...) There were also a few amazing female singers, that could sing from sopranino to baritone, but that's very rare ;D

I've just recently seen an opera singer on tv. (Okay, when I say recently it could have been about two years ago...) I don't recall her name, but she's a soprano who actually started out as an alto!

Basicially, a well trained mezzo is more likely to sing a good soprano than an untrained soprano.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]