The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
OT: Disney Heroes can actually be total jerks! 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post OT: Disney Heroes can actually be total jerks!
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I'm certain that other women have, like me, idolized the animated Disney heroes for literally YEARS! Well, I just re-watched "Sleeping Beauty", only to realize what a jerk Prince Phillip is!

The following is an online page about the subject:

shame-full.com/disney-princes-are-jerks-too/

-------------------------------------------------------------

The following is MY assessment of the animated human Disney heroes:

Snow White's Prince (Ferdinand, or maybe Florentine?): I am actually sort of divided, with regards to this prince. On the cool side, he sings well, he sings of his love, he DOESN'T try to physically touch Snow White (or prevent her from leaving), and he sends her a kiss, by way of a bird. On the rude side, he just shows up right next to her, singing the same words that she just sang to herself, and asks, like a fool, "Did I frighten you?" ("Well, DUH! What do you THINK you did?"); he then sort of orders her to "hear what [he has] to say". Later, he does kiss her while she's unconscious, but one COULD see his kiss as an act of love and sorrow for the supposedly deceased Snow White. Those who claim that he didn't even bother looking for her until she is supposedly dead are forgetting the narrative words that appear on the screen, the words that state that he TRIED to find her....and that someone ELSE had to tell him where she was; he must have gone to her home, only to discover that NOBODY was there, and he must have felt pretty badly about the entire situation....until he was informed about the fact that she'd been living with the dwarfs.

Prince Charming (Prince Henry): This guy is a certifiable JERK! He won't get married, and, even though he meets Cindy at the ball, and he falls in love with her, he won't even leave his precious castle home in order to HELP The Grand Duke to FIND the girl whose foot fits the slipper! I like to think that Prince Lazy Bum is up in his room, lusting after Cindy dreamily, while The Grand Duke does his work FOR him; I personally think that the browbeaten, polite Grand Duke should have been paired with Cinderella, anyway!

Prince Phillip: Prince Phillip is a jerk, but he has to pay for his rude behavior, and, luckily, he finally gets the chance to be a good guy! When he's in the woods with Aurora, his behavior is actually fairly forceful; notice how many times she tries to pull her hand away from his, only to have him pursue her AGAIN! Aurora is pretty smart, though, because even though she DOES behave in a slightly teasing, acquiessing sort of way, she protects her innocence, turning Prince Phillip's would-be makeout sesh into a scheduled DATE....at the cottage....where the three protective fairies are waiting! Later, when Maleficent puts Prince Phillip's survival skills to the test, The Good Fairies save him at every turn of the road, and he has to fight in order to get to Aurora's bedside. His lustful attitude towards Aurora isn't rewarded; it's only when he is forced to fight for his own safety that he is rewarded with the right to kiss the princess.
NOTE TO SELF: Why did I idolize Prince Phillip for sooo many years, believing him to be such a sweet guy?

Prince Eric: The author of the article believes Eric to be a total jerk, but I don't really agree with her. Eric hasn't yet married, or provided his kingdom with an heir (Aren't MOST Disney "prince and princess" movies REALLY just about the need for reproductive sex, anyway?), and one day, he's rescued by Ariel, but, seeing as how he's JUST coming to consciousness when she leaves, how is he supposed to know EXACTLY who she is? He's kind towards her, sympathetic towards her, and even romantically-inclined towards her, but who says that he's SUPPOSED to fall in love with ARIEL, just because the AUDIENCE knows that she is the girl who saved him? He may be a bit foolish because he is ignoring the superlativeness of the girl who is "warm, caring, and right before [his] eyes," but if ARIEL'S life had been saved by a stranger, might SHE be just as obsessed with finding that good samaritan? After Ursula causes chaos, Eric proves himself to be a hero who is willing to suffer WITH his heroine, in order to be there for her. King Triton certainly has some crow to eat, because Prince Eric proves himself to be an exceptionally kind royal!

The Beast/ Prince Adam: I'm not going to say much about the hairy guy with the temper, because so much has already been said. I can only say that he's a sad case, and that he certainly hurt Belle by taking her father away from her....without even allowing her to say "Goodbye" to him.

Aladdin: Great Caesar's ghost! Oooh, Aladdin! If Jasmine can be a cruel tease, she isn't a good ENOUGH tease, because she saddles herself with one heck of a liar, even after all of the modern, Feminist phrases that practically turn her into Oleanna's Carol (NOTE: That play was written during 1992, so I always seem to see Jafar and Jasmine as John and Carol) . Aladdin IS charming, and sexy, but he never, EVER has to tell Jasmine the truth about himself! Jafar actually serves a purpose by FORCING the truth to be told, and Jafar is no saint, but still....

John Smith: This ever-seductive, totally hot guy goes from being a jerk to being a cool guy who has a heart-rending decision to make. He's a total racist, and maybe it's only Pocahontas' seductive beauty that causes him to change his mind about her people, but, for whatever the reason, he comes to believe in Pocahontas, her people, and their right to live without fear, violence, or interference.

Captain Phoebus: With regards to his interactions with Esmeralda, he's pretty cool, tossing coins to her in the street, protecting her from Frollo, and leading the people against Frollo. With regards to his interactions with Quasimodo, he's a JERK! (NOTE: I think that for all of her non-conformist bravery, Esmeralda is ALSO a jerk!) He lies right there, IN QUASIMODO'S HOME, and kisses Esmeralda for the full, passionate duration of, like, TEN SECONDS....while the poor, disfigured, desire-and-love-bearing Quasimodo stands there, having to watch that kiss, which is slowly breaking his heart! Who DOES that to somebody else, and still feels good about themselves later? Gag me with a SPOON!

Hercules: Apart from ogling Megara, Hercules is really a pure, innocent guy! He's Dsney's most virginal, innocent hero ever! Which OTHER straight guy ever pulled the shoulder strap of some girl back OVER her shoulder, when he COULD'VE pulled the OTHER shoulder strap OFF, fer SHURR? Hercules is the boyfriend that all women WISH that they could deal with, because dealing with a guy like that would be super sweet!

Li Shang: This guy is actually sort of a jerk. He DOES say, "A life for a life," but he can't seem to understand Mulan's explanation for having lied. Then again, the Chinese government of that Dynasty was pretty strict about the troops of captains like Li Shang....

Tarzan: If Tarzan had been raised around humans, his initial behavior towards Jane would be considered to be rude, rude, RUDE! Seeing as how he's experiencing adolescence as someone who was raised by apes, his behavior is understandable, and he's actually a super sweet, lovable guy!

Milo Thatch: I don't like the way that Disney makes Milo smarter than Kida, but Disney's characterization of him, with regards to his intelligence, doesn't make him a jerk. He IS a bit stereotypically wowed by Kida's appearance, but, once they are on a mission, they're BOTH serious about talking turkey! Milo is a cool guy, defending and protecting both Kida and her people; he boldly defies the status quo, and the peer pressure of his fellow travelers, in order to be morally sound.

Jim Hawkins: Somebody will have to analyze this character for me, because it's been years since I've seen "Treasure Planet", and I don't own the movie.

Prince Naveen: I initially left the theater saying, "Prince Naveen is really a lot of fun, Tiana is boring, and Charlotte is super cool!" I have since changed my mind! Tiana is NOT boring, but she IS focussed on her dream. Charlotte may be kind, sweet, and sassy, but she's the sort of girl who's willing to help Tiana, all the while focusing so much on her own spoiled lifestyle that she's unable to be truly attentive, or truly effective. Naveen is a lot of fun, and he is willing to be honest with Tiana, but he's also a spoiled rotten player, who has never found a reason to devote himself to one woman (He tries to deflower Tiana during their first night as frogs, but she is too smart for his charms), and he and Tiana are USING each other most of the time. It's actually sort of sad and sweet when he falls in love with Tiana; for the first time, he truly wants to make someone else's dreams come true, and he actually feels good because someone else "light[s] up when [they] talk about [their] dream." I can't decide weather or not he's a jerk for distracting Tiana, and causing her to believe that her dream "wouldn't be complete without [him] in it."

Flynn Rider: Flynn has a sad story, and he turns his life around in the end, but he and Rapunzel are essentially USING each other . For some reason, Rapunzel always strikes me as being ever-moody, hormonal, angsty, repressed, stereotypical, etc., and Flynn Rider always strikes me as being the horny, sneakily-self-assured, virgin-deflowering, "Daddy" type, who is satisfying his "little girl's" whims, knowing the entire time that he'll unwrap her, and destroy her innocence in the bedroom later. The entire "Tangled" movie is, to me, sort of like "Aladdin", leaving a sort of bad taste in my mouth; all of my negative suppositions about Rapunzel were proven to be realities when the movie was released. Gag me with a SPOON!

Kristoff Bjorgman: He's actually kind of a jerk! [SPOILER ALERT!] He wants his new sled, and he wants his ice business to survive, and so he's willing to use Princess Anna in order to get what he wants; I'll give him credit for caring about Anna when she's being attacked by internal hypothermia, though.

Thanks in advance for your replies, and I'll be honest with y'all; I AM writing this list because my boyfriend has just been super rude towards me.
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:49 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: OT: Disney Heroes can actually be total jerks!
If you felt any disappointment at Disney's heroes, I think if you were to scrutinize the stories as they were originally you'd be crushed.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:50 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear Dax,

You're more than likely right.

By the way, I see that you have reimagined Maleficent as a wolf! ;) Cool avatar!

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8-)

Dax wrote:
If you felt any disappointment at Disney's heroes, I think if you were to scrutinize the stories as they were originally you'd be crushed.

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The Duchess of Mint wrote:
Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I'm certain that other women have, like me, idolized the animated Disney heroes for literally YEARS! I was just looking at the site to see what answers people could provide if I asked this question. And it is interesting that so many people help each other. Well, I just re-watched "Sleeping Beauty", only to realize what a jerk Prince Phillip is!

Thanks in advance for your replies, and I'll be honest with y'all; I AM writing this list because my boyfriend has just been super rude towards me.
:idea:

Nice post. I've always thought that disney characters we're perfect but now when I watch them again I realize that they are just as full of problems as normal people do. Maturity and wisdom is the main reason you are seeing these characters as they are but also of course also your boyfriends rudeness. :lol: Is your boyfriend still rude to you? Hope he corrects that behavior soon. [-X

Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]