The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Musicals.net cira 1999 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Musicals.net cira 1999
Hi all.

I was a regular on this site back in the late 90s, when I was about 14. I think that makes it a legitimate piece of internet history. Curious if anyone else was on here back then? It was the time of the long blue list of musicals which could not be added to because of the mysterious and vanished website creator. A time when we used to print off song lyrics, because they were precious, and this was the only place they existed on the "world wide web". A time when The Very Angry Man With a Large Collection of Lives Tapes would occasionally deign to answer a question or two. A time when I worried the noise of the computer dialing-up would wake my mother. A time before youtube. A time when, when you rejoiced that you found "His Eyes" on Napster, and it took days to download.

comments? additions? questions? disparaging remarks?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:21 am

Post Re: Musicals.net cira 1999
Wow. That's a real blast from the past! Yes, I remember the old version of MdN - and how it could be crashed by idiots uploading huge files of nonsense, and how frustrating that was.

But it was very exciting at the same time.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:03 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Haha, I think I started here about 2000. It was different, and all I remember is the Very Angry Man, who congronted me wildly when I wanted to discuss Which Witch. The only redeeming aspect for him was Graham Bickley, whom I found extremely droll.

Strange times.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:03 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
Main Role: Performer
I didn't know this website's been around that long

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:09 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oh, yes. It was a very different place back then.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This site has been around for a looong time. Since back when it was first created when the address was sourced from MIT, where Sally originally created it I believe. :-k

Became even more hectic when Webber fans got more involved (particularly Cats' fans :shifty: ), and even the actual performers began posting.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:29 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I started posting in 2001. The site has changed heaps since then.

Buff :D

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:23 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Stephen Sondheim, Falsettos
Lol, remember when Lea Salonga posted on here? She gave away an iPod or something once. :lol:

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear Musicals.Net Posters,

I can't remember exactly when I first began posting at this site (1999? 2000? 2001?), but I remember almost TOO much about M.Net back then, including...

* My first Username (Annie Kate)
* The incredibly dirty messages that were posted (Ie: Euphemisms for self-pleasuring...some of which actually turned out to be stupid euphemisms for peeing...LOL!), and the fact that nobody seemed to ban anybody back then...
* A.K.B., and his disgusting, explicit laboratory stories about Karen Silkwood...and his continuous talk about that fish named Jaunita/ Juanita...I truly hope, and trust (CAN I trust...?) that A.K.B has matured since then...
* Simon, and the fact that we were trolls together...for awhile, anyway, before the law came to M.Net
* A couple of guys named Evan, and the fact that one of the Evans could never figure out how I knew that A.K.B. WAS A.K.B. (A.K.B. went by a different name on M.Net)
* The fact that I ate SOOO much Ramen noodle soup while I was trolling M.Net
* An angry mom, who claimed that her young daughter had asked her about an explicit term...because she'd seen it on M.Net
* The fact that people would occasionally warn other people that Sally Chow was out there, and that she might come back to dole out punishments to those who were being bad...(Did anybody ever say that? I can't remember...)
* The fact that I came unglued about the fictitious Karen Silkwood stories...after realizing that Karen Silkwood herself was a real woman, and not a made-up character...I feel so silly NOW about my previous lack of knowledge about Karen Silkwood
* The old board style...Wasn't there only ONE message board here back then?

Well, thanks in advance for your replies, and feel free to ask me anything about the history of M.Net. I can't claim to know EVERYTHING about this site, but I've been here since about the turn of the century.
8-)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:53 am

Current Obsession: punctuation
Main Role: Fan
Just so you all know, I finally met The Very Angry Man a couple of years ago. He's not so angry in real life.

Didn't Christiana Anbri's mom post here for a while?

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:50 am
Profile WWW

Main Role: Fan
The Very Angry Woman wrote:
Just so you all know, I finally met The Very Angry Man a couple of years ago. He's not so angry in real life.

Didn't Christiana Anbri's mom post here for a while?

TVAW,

Congrats on finding your soulmate, TVAM.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:12 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I posted as ChingLing starting around 2000 or 2001 when I was in high school. Posted for a while, ended up as a moderator for the Misc forum. I don't remember how long that lasted but I was so frickin young and took this place so very seriously. My solution to the troll fights was to plead for everyone to just get along. I remember at one point someone saying they wanted to shove me in a locker.

Around 2005 I got accepted to a musical theatre school and stopped posting on m.net, I just disappeared, never even resigned my mod position. Sorry. The name ChingLing eventually got purged, and I've changed as well. I'm a guy, I'm 30, studying acting in university with a bunch of 19 year olds. I no longer believe everyone should get along and concede that sometimes people need a swift kick in the rear, or even better, to be ignored. Or maybe I'll ignore them while giving them a swift kick in the rear.

Anyway, I registered again so I could pop in and post now and then, but I don't know anybody any more.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next