The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What happened this board? 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post What happened this board?
It used to be so filled with life and action, I miss those days. Arguing about shows till 3am. Good times!

Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: What happened this board?
I think Facebook happened. :shock:

Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:52 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

lol I don't think that that was necessarily it. Here's my theory:

Once upon a time.... This board was always pretty liberal and accepting of everyone. Posters wouldn't get chastised for being strange, or for using fowl language, or for posting "colourful" pictures. All of that with no qualm from any one else. We all got along. Except when we would get into fights on the likes of if the Witch or the Baker's Wife was the female lead, of course, and so on. Then, a few short years ago, there was a small group of new users that were not very accepting of the way we did things. I remember one in particular who's favorites words seemed to be "blue carded". She really seemed to piss a lot of people here off. People who were posters that had been here for years. She seemed to constantly be telling people how inappropriate they were and she got her fellow new members to side with her. I remember that there were a few people that left because of her. I myself left for a bit as well. I think that this is what really started it. I think that the board sort of just lost it's oomf or mojo or whatever it is that you would like to call it. And slowly people just left and went else where. I myself just started posting at the BroadwayWorld boards and there are a couple of other popular theater boards out there that other members may have migrated off to as well. Like I said in the picture thread, I kind of just forgot about this place.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

*shrugs*

They come and they go.

It was crazy back in the 90s, when threads were added to almost every minute.
But then the Cats' phenomena was making the rounds in a big way.
And then we had Rent that came along later...

And that's what is part of the problem. Nothing new that grabs people, draws them in. Makes them want to go online and find this website here...Yes, this particular one!

Of course we could always blame the economy or something.

Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Set_Buildin_Dad wrote:
I think Facebook happened. :shock:

This. Forums everywhere have been in decline as this kind of converation has migrated to self-created groups at a common portal.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:39 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I disagree. I visit quite a few boards and none have suffered the kind of decline as this one.

Though I think Dax makes an excellent point. I remember there being a HUGE group of intense Cats fans here back in the day. Then came Rent and then Wicked. There's been a ten year gap since the last mega hit musical and that definitely impacts the flow of new members and also makes older members who were mainly here because of them stop coming back.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The lifetime of a message board can vary, but experience tells me they don't usually last forever. I remember on the IMDb, about 6-10 years ago the Phantom of the Opera board was swamped with musical theatre lovers and probably the busiest forum on the site apart from the Sandbox. Today there's hardly a full page of threads. When I casually check back on other forums I have visited in the past, nearly all of them have descended into inactivity. (Broadwayworld.com excepting, Broadwayworld is a major online resource for theatre news and not exclusively a chat page)

I think what happens is people move on with their lives. Even users who post for many years on end, there's got to be a point where they've eventually had enough. When every "regular" user knows everyone else's opinions on everything, you run out of new subjects to discuss. And especially with kids and teenagers who get addicted to internet discussion forums, they grow up and grow out of such pastimes once real life starts to take on more formation. I've been thinking it's about time for me to leave actually. It's been fun chatting with you all but with the sudden influx of gigs I've acquired, this kind of thing won't really have a place in my life anymore.

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

TheWitch wrote:
Once upon a time.... This board was always pretty liberal and accepting of everyone. Posters wouldn't get chastised for being strange, or for using fowl language, or for posting "colourful" pictures. All of that with no qualm from any one else. We all got along. Except when we would get into fights on the likes of if the Witch or the Baker's Wife was the female lead, of course, and so on. Then, a few short years ago, there was a small group of new users that were not very accepting of the way we did things.

I agree with this sad hypothesis.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:28 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I enjoyed the interesting and challenging conversations. This place became too sanitised and monitored...

Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mama Rose wrote:
I've been thinking it's about time for me to leave actually.

That's a shame. You have been one of the few who've had something normal to contribute with here lately. I appreciate that.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:13 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I liked talking to you a lot Hans! Seriously my time here has been wonderful.....

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:16 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'd say that much of the problem has been straightforward inertia. I was a regular poster here for a not insignificant period of time, but after having needed to devote my time to university studies and other more pressing concerns, it simply became difficult to summon the enthusiasm to regularly post again. I confess that I do miss this site's more active days and crack a smile when I see a familiar name re-appear, but such is life.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next