The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
"Skip-over" Songs 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: "Skip-over" Songs
3KidsOr4 wrote:
Sillemima wrote:
I never skip songs if I'm listening to a whole recording. I listen to single songs, though.

Very much agreed! :)

Then why did you two reply?

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:14 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
Because everyone has a right to answer. Some people tell what songs they skip, others say that they don't skip songs. That's just natural. Or is this an exclusive thread for song skippers?

Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Sillemima wrote:
Or is this an exclusive thread for song skippers?

That was the initial intention.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:55 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Performer
I definitely skip a couple songs in almost any album (unless, occasionally, I am listening to the recording for the first time ever), sometimes more.
Hmm, let's see...
I Miss the Mountains - Next to Normal
Dog Eats Dog - Les Misérables
The Thénardier Waltz of Treachery - Les Misérables
Master of the House - Les Misérables (Alright, it's no secret I don't like the Thénardiers. Their songs, at least).

To name a few. Might post a few more if I come up with them. :D

Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:36 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
Apples2for10 wrote:
Sillemima wrote:
Or is this an exclusive thread for song skippers?

That was the initial intention.

Oh, dear, I am so sorry. I thought this thread was about the songs we skip or our listening habits or what songs we like less, so we skip them. Or if we skip them. Sorry, my dear! I didn't want to disturb your private club for chronical song skippers!!

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:31 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Generally I only listen to my favorite numbers (so, for If/Then, I might listen to: What If?, Some Other Me, What the F*ck, Learn to Live Without, and Always Starting Over) and skip the rest of the CD.

I typically always skip "March of the Witch Hunters" in Wicked.

When listening to Frozen, I always skip "Reindeers are better than people."

"Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our finger through the flame?...why, do we refuse to hang a light when the streets are dangerous? Why does it take an accident before the truth gets through to us? Actions speak louder than words.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:15 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Lepitot wrote:
Generally I only listen to my favorite numbers (so, for If/Then, I might listen to: What If?, Some Other Me, What the F*ck, Learn to Live Without, and Always Starting Over) and skip the rest of the CD.

I typically always skip "March of the Witch Hunters" in Wicked.

When listening to Frozen, I always skip "Reindeers are better than people."

If/Then left me pretty underwhelmed overall.

I don't think that "Witch Hunters" was meant to be an enjoyable song, its purpose is a story point and I would imagine that it's much more enjoyable visually than to listen to.

I'm surprised to hear that "Reindeers" is even on the cast recording unless it's an extended version than what's in the movie. But Frozen was another score that left me very underwhelmed, so I probably will never buy the cast recording.

BTW, all three CD's you mentioned have Idina Menzel on them!

Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:06 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Apples2for10 wrote:
If/Then left me pretty underwhelmed overall.

100% agreed. Was a big Next To Normal fan, and then, just, what even went wrong for Yorkitt? I personally blame it on Idina Menzel - not her personally, or her actions or performance or anything, but just her presence in the project. The moment she got attached to If/Then, it went from being a potentially in-and-of-itself good project to an Idina Menzel vehicle. It's a shame, too; if Idina Menzel had gotten attached after If/Then had grown legs, she easily could have hit a great show out of the park. As is, she hit a great show out of the running. If/Then had glimmers of greatness; Always Starting Over is easily on par with Idina Menzel's other classic empowerment songs like Defying Gravity.

Disagree about March Of The Witch Hunters, though. It's a fine song in and of itself, and I wish it were longer.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: eternal obsession = Evita
enjolras24601 wrote:
Dog Eats Dog - Les Misérables

Totally get it if you don't care for the Thenardiers, but I just had to comment that "Dog Eats Dog" might possibly be my favorite song in Les Mis... "The harvest moon shines down!" Ugh. Love. lol.

For any score, I will often skip the slow songs if I'm in an upbeat/energetic mood.

Aaand since I listen to the Evita soundtrack (yes, the movie soundtrack - I know, stone me if you like) more often than any other score, I definitely have certain songs on my semi-permanent skip list. Mainly all the 'talky' or 'atmospheric' ones like "A Cinema in Buenos Aires" and "On the Balcony (Part 1)." Plus "On This Night" because it's so boring, and sometimes "New Argentina" (it's just so damn repetitive).

I can never skip the last two tracks, though - "Latin Chant" and "Lament." They always make me cry. In a good way!

All-Star Musical Character >> Maria, WEST SIDE STORY
Theme Song >> "Nowadays," CHICAGO

Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Leslie wrote:
Totally get it if you don't care for the Thenardiers, but I just had to comment that "Dog Eats Dog" might possibly be my favorite song in Les Mis...

Maybe I'll have to give it a second try... :D
Leslie wrote:
For any score, I will often skip the slow songs if I'm in an upbeat/energetic mood.

Yes!

Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:54 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I skip songs only when I get bored of hearing them, I have various songs in my I pod which I skip every time but not deleting it. If you ask about show's respective cast recording, then most of the time I skip because I don't like them.

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2