The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Shrek: Okay, I'm digging it 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Shrek: Okay, I'm digging it
I'm pretty hard-set downward on this trend of turning non-musical movies into stage musicals, but after Avenue Q goes up in late January, I don't have much time before the production of Brighton Beach Memoirs I'm directing holds auditions in early April, so I was kind ofresigned to a couple months off. Then I noticed a company I've worked with before... Shrek, auditioning late January, goes up late March. Apart from the auditions happening during tech week, sounds perfect... and that can be worked around...

So I bought the OBCR on Friday, and listened...and LOLed at least 3 or 4 times. My wife was similarly skeptical... but I burned it to a CD and as we drove around doing stuff Saturday, we listened through a couple times, and by Saturday night, she was sold as well. Doesn't hurt that we both just did a David Lindsay-Abaire play and are pretty convinced the book is good, sight unseen. So, this is probably something we're (both, kind of surprisingly) getting a little excited for in advance.

Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:13 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Re: Shrek: Okay, I'm digging it
I didn't LOVE the movie, so when a director approached me about auditioning for Fiona, I was skeptical, too. But after listening to the music, I knew I HAD to do it. I played Fiona a few months ago and loved it. I liked a lot of the songs, most of them. I found the whole show very witty and entertaining, and sweet. I liked it much better than the movie. I still hum some of the songs and get nostalgic. Would love to do the show again sometime, any role.

Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Haven't seen it staged yet, but I'm curious, maybe you can tip me off with this. I seem to recall hearing/seeing somewhere that it's revealed Fiona's locked away at age 7, the same age (and in some versions, implied at the same time) Shrek's booted out from his home. In "I know it's today", we get "Young Fiona" (day 23), "Teen Fiona" (day 958) and adult Fiona (day 8423 [aka 23 years]). But 958 days is like... what, 2 1/2 years? Doesn't equal a teen in my book. So... huh? Is this just a subtle error with the lyric, that we should toss an extra 2000 days on?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Hmm... yes, it is mentioned when Shrek and Donkey are looking at her file, I think, that she was 7. I actually can't remember if that convo was before of after "I Know It's Today". But yeah, it seems like it was a plot hole that someone forgot about.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:32 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Got the DVD of the musical last week, and the whole family sat down to watch it last night. I had thought the Mirror's debrief comes after "I Know It's Today" but Wiki says the mirror bit comes first. Yeah, just seems like a subtle logical hole in the lyrics/book. Which gives me a little sad. Nonetheless, still really enjoyed the performances et al, though it was funny seeing how they had to clip the bows to format them to movie style (biggest stars first). If nothing else, got me kind of excited do take a whack at this, as the wife and I seem to fit the lead roles very well by various measures, and it'd be fun to do together for all sorts of reasons.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:10 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

After seeing Shrek is Love, I don't think I could A) Ever watch Shrek again and B) Even think about seeing it in the theatre

haha

I won't be posting the video, but give it a search

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I like Shrek the Musical a lot. I prefer it to the movie. I was never a fan of Shrek 1.

Shrek 2, on the other hand, is fantastic and the best film of the series (in my opinion).

I really enjoy some of the numbers of the show (I Know It's Today, Who I'd Be, Freak Flag, This is our Story). It's a fun show and I'd love to be in it some day.

"Why do we play with fire? Why do we run our finger through the flame?...why, do we refuse to hang a light when the streets are dangerous? Why does it take an accident before the truth gets through to us? Actions speak louder than words.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]