The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Will the relevance of contemporary musicals endure? 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Will the relevance of contemporary musicals endure?
Mungojerrie_rt wrote:
Do you seriously feel that Superstar does not work? Evita?, Rent, Tanz der Vampire, Everything's ----, Rocky Horror, Hair, Little Shop of Horrors, etc. In fact, to say that rock music cannot tell a story sufficiently, as the passage you quoted did, is to state that this entire list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rock_musicals Are all bad musicals, and none work.

I see that the quote is confusing out of context. It is actually a defence for JCS, as it is mentioned as one of the exceptions to this theory, along with for example Evita. I also believe it was written before Rent premiered, so it was possibly not taken into consideration.

When that is said, I personally have not been able to get to like Rent, and I suspect it may be because of the music style and the chord richness (or poorness). The point is, I don't knoe for sure, since I'm not really able to hear chords and classify them, so it's only a theory that I somehow viscerally pick them up.

In addition, I got Queen - the greatest hits for Christmas, and have seriously tried to get into the music. I admit it's musically rich and well performed, but the lyrics are partly very repetitious and partly impossible to get anything sensible out of. I must quote what a friend of me once said: Liking We Will Rock You is a character flaw.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4