The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Songs that were added to a show 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Songs that were added to a show
What are your opinions on them? Which do you like? Which do you not like?

There are of course different sorts of songs like these, for example songs that initially were cut from shows, then put back again for subsequent productions (like Marry Me a Little and Silly People), songs that were written for new productions (like Someone Else's Story and Our Little World), songs that were written for movie versions but could have been integrated into the stage verdions (like Noone Would Listen/Learn to be Lonely and I Move On), songs that were written for movies and then added to stage versions (like You Must Love Me and Mein Herr) and songs that replaced stage counterparts (like NYC/Let's Go To The Movies and Ordinary Couple/Something Good - where the one did travel to the stage version the other usually not?).

Which are your favouirites? Could you imagine a stage production of POTO with Noone Would Listen? Are there any cut songs you'd like to see put back in a stage show?

Personally, I wonder if a reworked version of Noone Would Listen could suit as a song for Mme Giry in POTO, and I'd like the Midnight sequence that includes the first appearance of Children Will Listen to be put back into ITW. I'd also like to see the third Night Waltz in ALNM.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Songs that were added to a show
I love "Something Just Broke" from Assassins. That song was added to the London production, I think, but wasn't in the original Off-Broadway production. It's one of my favorite songs in the whole show, quite chilling and poignant, and I think provides an important perspective that was missing from the show originally.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Eddie's Teddy- Rocky Horror Show
Mean Green Mother From Outer Space- Little Shop of Horrors
Take It All- Nine
Sign- Annie
Got So Far To Go- Hairspray
I Took A Giant Leap- Bye Bye Birdie
Then We Are Decided- Jesus Christ Superstar
Mary Lane- Reefer Madness
Beautiful City- Godspell
Love You I Do- Dreamgirls

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

exitstageleft wrote:
I love "Something Just Broke" from Assassins. That song was added to the London production, I think, but wasn't in the original Off-Broadway production. It's one of my favorite songs in the whole show, quite chilling and poignant, and I think provides an important perspective that was missing from the show originally.

That's interresting, since SJB probably is one of the most controversial songs in this genre. Personally, I understand both sides in the debate, but think that more Sondheim music is better Sondheim music, so I'd enjoy seeing it in a production.

Apples2for10 wrote:
Take It All- Nine
Sign- Annie
Beautiful City- Godspell

What about these? Do you like them particularly? Or dislike them particularly? I don't understand.

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:34 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Hans wrote:
That's interesting, since SJB probably is one of the most controversial songs in this genre. Personally, I understand both sides in the debate, but think that more Sondheim music is better Sondheim music, so I'd enjoy seeing it in a production.

I've never heard of this debate-mind explaining it, and why it's so contested?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:04 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hans wrote:
Apples2for10 wrote:
Take It All- Nine
Sign- Annie
Beautiful City- Godspell

What about these? Do you like them particularly? Or dislike them particularly? I don't understand.

I like them.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:09 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

comped wrote:
I've never heard of this debate-mind explaining it, and why it's so contested?

Oh, isn't it? I have the impression usually when Assassins is discussed in general, the addition of SJB takes focus. People just have very strong opinions on whether it should be included or not. I think people who defend it (which seems to include Sondheim himself, who apparently thinks that songs like Our Little World and Judge's Johanna should be optional) feel it's necessary because it opens up the show for a contrasting perspective which is crucial for the right balance of the show - while people who thinks it should be left out feel equally strongly that the change of perspective disturbs the tight focus of the show.

I don't know why, perhaps it is because Assassins is such a compact show that any change makes a greater impact than changes in other, more freely constructed shows?

Apples2for10 wrote:
I like them.

Is that all? Would you perhaps enjoy telling why?

Formerly known as Dvarg

Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hans wrote:
Apples2for10 wrote:
I like them.

Is that all? Would you perhaps enjoy telling why?

I'm not going to give reasons for every single song, but if there are a few specific songs you'd like me to explain why I like them, I can do that.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:44 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

One that is probably unique in purpose is "Buy a Little Button From Us", added as a prologue to the London version of Lady, Be Good! apparently as a fundraiser for the theater (based on my reading of the lyrics). It has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the show.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:52 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

In regards to Something Just Broke, people feel it cheapens it by breaking up the dramatic flow and taking the focus away from the assassins for the sake of cheap sentimentality. Personally I don't really buy the "it breaks the dramatic structure" thing, because, well... the "structure" of the show as it is kinda a revue.

Sondheim himself defends the addition of the song as "essential," and chalks criticism up to the show being so tight is that any change is gonna draw complaints. Worth pointing out that of his works, Assassins is the one he considers the closest to perfect.

Personally I'm cool with it. It's a good song and it gives the ensemble something to do.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:37 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Apples2for10 wrote:
I'm not going to give reasons for every single song, but if there are a few specific songs you'd like me to explain why I like them, I can do that.

I though it was obvious that my intention with this thread was to stir up some musical related debate. What is the point of listing some songs in a thread about song discussions if you don't want to discuss them?

Anyway, I'm not familiar with most of your songs, but I'd like to hear your opinion on these songs

Take It All- Nine
Sign- Annie

I really think Mean Green Mother and Sign are great songs I'd like to see in a stage production. I think Take It All is a decent song, but I don't understand the reason for it as it replaced a perfectly good song, didn't it? I'd also like seeing Decided in a stage production, but mostly to flesh out the show as the song in itself is rather pointless, in my opinion.

Pannic wrote:
Sondheim himself defends the addition of the song as "essential," and chalks criticism up to the show being so tight is that any change is gonna draw complaints.

Personally I'm cool with it. It's a good song and it gives the ensemble something to do.

Though I don't mind the song, I think Sondheim's explanation of why it is essential is lacking, as he doesn't say why (at least in the Hat, which partly was the inspiration for this thread). I also think that giving the ensemble something to do is a weak reason for including a song in a show.

I wonder why you think it's a good song. I have never seen it performed, but only listening to it does draw attention to its tunelessness ;)

Formerly known as Dvarg

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:30 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Main Role: Director
"Mean Green Mother" is a bit of a sore spot for me...while the song is fine, the scene it inhabits is just absolutely awful and easily the worst thing about the film (regardless if you watch the original or revised ending).

Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next