The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Thatcher dead 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Post Thatcher dead
In spite of her accomplishments she will alwyas be known as the woma nwho made the poor in england poorer and the rich richer....

"Margaret Hilda Thatcher is gone but the damage caused by her fatally flawed politics sadly lingers on," the National Union of Mineworkers, which Thatcher virtually destroyed during a failed year-long strike, said on its website. "Good Riddance."

Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Thatcher dead
Amazing hot hated Thatcher was in many circles. I daresay she is viewed more favorably in the US than anywhere else. (Likely because of many here that our ignorant of her "accomplishments")

Wow..just wow.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 am

She , like Reagan here in the United Stes, did alot of harm to her country.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'm British, and all I can say about her death is that it's 30 years too late. She caused a LOT of long-lasting damage, managed to strengthen the divide between rich and poor and put the country in utter strife. Yes, she was the first woman Prime Minister, but really can we speak about that as a positive thing when she was such a pain? For God's sake, I would have done a better job...

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Judy Garland's Ding Dong the Witch is Dead races up charts after Margaret Thatcher's death

ANTI-Thatcher sentiment has seen Ding Dong the Witch is Dead soar to No.27 in the UK iTunes chart this morning.

The sales are part of a Facebook campaign to make the Judy Garland song hit No.1 after the death of Margaret Thatcher.

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead was made famous in the 1939 movie The Wizard of Oz.

Ding Dong could hit No.1 in the UK by as early as next week, according to some predictions.

Other anti-Thatcher songs have also been reactivated on British iTunes, including Elvis Costello’s Tramp the Dirt Down at No.93.

Meanwhile Morrissey’s Margaret on the Guillotine, Robert Wyatt’s Shipbuilding and Billy Bragg’s Between the Wars have all been circulated on social media.

Shortly after her death, Morrissey posted a blog that ended with the line "Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity.”

:-k My my..

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:28 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Catch Me If You Can
All I'll say here is what I said on Facebook. No one my age should be acting like they experienced the difficulties she caused - they didn't.

And regardless of political, religious or any other views, I find it hard to sympathise with the views/beliefs of anyone who can celebrate someone's death.

Currently:
Studying MA Music Theatre at Central School of Speech and Drama

Past Roles:
Bowman/Peasant/Tomjon - Wyrd Sisters
The Boss - Of Mice and Men

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

An aquaintance of mine posted this:

I experienced first hand the devastation she, personally, visited on the coal and steel belt of central Scotland... towns with 80% unemployment because the coal mine had closed. Yes, she broke the power of the unions, but at a social cost that was incalculable... of course there weren't any coal mines in the (wealthy) home counties of southern England. The sad thing was that the miners weren't striking for more pay, they were striking in protest against planned mine closures... at the time it was cheaper to buy coal from Poland... but that polish coal was heavily subsidised by the EEC... and the UK was one of the biggest contributors to the EEC... go figure. Yes, she broke the unions, but she destroyed communities, towns, hell, whole regions in the north of England and Scotland, and she didn't even care.

She was a egomaniacal, evil, power-hungry, murdering bitch. Now she is dead, and I hope that history judges her harshly.

I'm a pretty laid-back guy. It takes a lot to upset me. I have a very long fuse. But that bitch I actually hated (possibly the only person in my life that I have truly hated).

-------------

He now lives in NZ...far far away...I had always thought of him as a fairly decent nice guy.

There seems a purity to this hatred that many here in the US can only aspire to.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:59 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

benjivaudeville wrote:
All I'll say here is what I said on Facebook. No one my age should be acting like they experienced the difficulties she caused - they didn't.

If you think the only difficulties she caused are what happened with the miners, I'm sad to say you're wrong.
Much of her legacy is still felt today and is being strengthened by the current tory government (but I digress)...I'm sure you have experienced some of this even without knowing - probably through the effect she had on the arts. Privatising the Arts Council and doing all she could to discourage public funding. She was not a fan of the theatre...But that is tame compared to Section 28. Only recently over-turned. Section 28 stated that a local authority "shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality" or "promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship"

Quote:
And regardless of political, religious or any other views, I find it hard to sympathise with the views/beliefs of anyone who can celebrate someone's death.

Whereas I do not celebrate her death, my feelings about her are not going to change just because she died. I have as many qualms, if not more with people who have suddenly decided to jump on the mourning bandwagon as I have with those who are celebrating with street parties.

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead has reached number 1, but the BBC are only going to play a 4 second clip... This is making my blood boil right now, but I'm doing my best to hold back. Trust me. I could go on for days.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:36 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Can I just add that she called Nelson Mandela a terrorist and General Pinochet her 'dear friend'...

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:38 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Oh, and the US reaction to the #nowthatcherisdead hashtag was hilarious :mrgreen:

Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm old enough to have lived through the Thatcher years.

What is very carefully NOT being made clear, especially on the BBC, is the situation that Margaret Thatcher came into.

Inflation at 24%. A three-day working week, because strikes in the mines meant there wasn't enough power to run machinery full-time.

Unions demanding pay deals 30% above the rate of inflation.

The heavy industry of Britain was in deep, rapid decline thanks to the Union activities, which were virtually endorsed by the Labour government before Thatcher came to power. She inherited a dire, rapidly worsening situation, and to her immense credit she challenged the Marxist wreckers, broke their power, and at a great cost she pulled Britain out of the basket-case bracket.

But you won't hear any of that. Nobody likes to remember that she had a terrible job to do, and she DID IT.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:12 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

You CONSTANTLY hear that. She had a difficult job and the economic situation was not her fault. I don't deny that.
The problem is she had no thought for the consequences of her solutions. Consequences we still live with.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next