The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Musical Confessions 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Musical Confessions
1. I prefer Sutton Foster over Patti Lu Pone in "Anything Goes".
2. I think the "Evita" movie soundtrack is better than the other recordings (save of course for Patti who is and forever will be the best Evita). I also thought Banderas was better than Patinkin (although I otherwise prefer Patinkin) and that Jonathan Pryce was better than any other Juan Peron (including Quast whom I love).
3. I love Andrew Lloyd Webber.
4. I didn't like Alfie Boe as Jean Valjean.
5. I prefer Audrey Hepburn to Julie Andrews as Eliza Doolittle.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

1. I hate Andrew Lloyd Weber. I think he's too poppy and trashy. The Stephenie Meyer of musical theatre.
2. I hate Stephen Sondheim. I think he's too pretentious and wooden. The Herman Melville of musical theatre.
3. I hate Kerry Butler. She was a completely terrible Audrey.
4. I hate Annie. Manufactured poppy crap. Ditto on Wicked. They have one really good song each - Tomorrow and Defying Gravity - and the rest is just dull, non-felt material
5. 13 is okay for what it is, but I wouldn't actually call it a good show.
6. I enjoy 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee on pretty much every level I can enjoy a musical on, but some part of my brain keeps whispering "Isn't this kind of stupid and kiddy? Shouldn't you be ashamed of liking this?"
7. Les Miserables will always be awesome. Ditto on Next To Normal.
8. Little Shop Of Horrors is my favorite musical ever, but it really bugs me because I see so many ways it could have been better.
9. I'm alive, I'm alive, I am so alive, and the medicine failed, and the doctors lied, I'm alive, I'm alive, I am death defied, I'm alive! So alive! I'm alive! I'm alive!
10. I'm Jean Valjean!

EDIT: 11. The "perfect rhyme" crowd irritates the ---- out of me with how pretentious they are. Yes, rhymes do vary in quality, but there's not some grand glorious perfect rhyme master race, nor should a less-than-perfect rhyme be discounted or shunned on reflex - quality of rhyme is quite a separate issue from how well-written the lyrics to a song are, even though they're obviously tied to each other. Often, a perfect rhyme is a banal line, and often an imperfect rhyme is perfect and brilliant. How good an imperfect rhyme sounds very much depends on context, too - a very clever close rhyme draws positive attention in the same way as a very clever perfect rhyme, for example, as in the case of "calculus/miraculous" in Matilda, for instance (which I literally just read as an example of OUR SOCIETY IS DEGRADING THESE IMPERFECT RHYMES ARE RAPING OUR CHILDREN in a pro-perfect-rhyme article).

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Once, Chess, Company, Assassins
Main Role: Producer
-Although I'm concern that it is an awful show, Cats still holds a special place in my heart since it's the first musical I performed in
-I dislike Chicago and I think it's Kander & Ebb's worst musical
-I'm not a big Disney fan, but I cried like a baby during "Circle of Life" when I saw it in German language in Hamburg halfway through a backpacking trip in Europe

Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:28 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Cats is the shiz

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
For years, I couldn't bring myself to watch "Cats". When I finally did I found I enjoyed it more than I expected.
Can't stand "The Sound of Music"!

Buff :D

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:15 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Buff Daddy wrote:
For years, I couldn't bring myself to watch "Cats". When I finally did I found I enjoyed it more than I expected.

So many of us thought the 80's were a bit of a dry period for musicals. Looking back I can only laugh. I mean the 80's and the 90's gave us Sondheim, Webber, Finn, Larson, Jason Robert Brown and Kander and Ebb. What were we thinking?! Broadway is getting so sad as far as musicals. The plays are thriving - Thank GOD!

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:08 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I was sparked to think about it when a project I was thinking of adhering to gave a wink-and-nod tip off to the show they were doing by referencing the '80s.

On reflection, I came to the conclusion that while there were a decent selection of good shows WRITTEN in the '80s, almost none of them were SET in the time period. That may have something to do with it. For the record, I deduced they were alluding to "The Wedding Singer" so I did NOT join the project, and I was right in oh so many ways.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:07 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

3KidsOr4 wrote:
4. I hate Annie. Manufactured poppy crap. Ditto on Wicked. They have one really good song each - Tomorrow and Defying Gravity - and the rest is just dull, non-felt material

Damn, I reinvestigated Wicked, and I feel very bad about saying this. No way does it deserve to be put in the same boat as Annie.
3KidsOr4 wrote:
2. I hate Stephen Sondheim. I think he's too pretentious and wooden. The Herman Melville of musical theatre.

This was unspeakably stupid too.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:22 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

3KidsOr4 wrote:

An excellent change of heart!

Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:59 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

3KidsOr4 wrote:
3KidsOr4 wrote:

That is fascinating :) Why did you change your opinion?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:58 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: La Cage Aux Folles
Main Role: Fan
I don't like Wicked, exept for "Wonderful", "Thank Goodness" and sometimes "Popular". I especially don't like "Defying Gravity".

I can't stand Idina Menzel's voice.

I am not a fan of Patti LuPone. I am not a hater of Patti LuPone. Bam!

I don't manage to warm up with Les Mis and Miss Saigon.

I like most of Sondheim's music, but I don't think he is the best composer of all time. In fact, I think he is - despite being a wonderful composer - somewhat overrated.

I like most of Andrew Lloyd Webber's flops more than most of his hits. Most of my favourite songs of his shows are songs most people don't know they exist. I am pretty much of a great Andrew Lloyd Webber fan. And I think he is underrated.

I adore Sierra Bogges but I do not think she's the best Christine of all time.

I like Ramin Karimloo but consider him a nice, but rather mediocore Phantom. And way to wannabe "sexy". I love his expressions, though.

I like Love Never Dies. I don't even have a problem with the storyline, i just don't count it "canon"; just as 90% of the musical, simply because it isn't at all true to Leroux book, so I see it as something different. Oh, I even think the LND storyline is better than Susan Kay's book "The Phantom". And I really like the LND music.

My favourite ALW show despite CATS and PotO is The Beautiful Game. Duh. And The Likes Of Us!

I totally adore Michael Ball.

My favourite Phantom is Peter Karrie.

I hope there will NEVER be a "Frozen" musical.

I want Kevin Tarte to play the Phantom.

I love The Sound Of Music.

Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I must admit I would take artificial verbal fireworks like perfect rhyme over ”realistic” imperfect rhyme any day, no matter how more ”true to character” imperfect rhyme may seem. That is because perfect rhyme is more FUN, and fun is realer than anything and more natural to relate to.

I can’t stand musicals in the style I assume is called soft rock. It includes all music by Stephen Schwartz, Frank Wildhorn and Elton John. I also hate the music of Frozen and Spring Awakening.

I don’t like Rent and Miss Saigon, and I find it difficult to relate to Passion and Gypsy (while I don’t understand why Sondheim is so dismissive of Do I Hear a Waltz?).

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next