The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Musical Confessions 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
Post Re: Musical Confessions
- My favourite decades in musical theatre are the 1970s and '80s, though I enjoy and respect many of the earlier shows and composers as well.
- Popular or award-winning shows that I don't love but will tolerate: Bye Bye Birdie, Cats, Cinderella, Flower Drum Song, Joseph, Nine, and Wicked.
- Popular or award-winning shows that I despise: Aladdin (Disney's Broadway version; I adored the film as well as the California Adventure production and the Jr. version available to schools, hence my loathing of what was done to it on B'way), Annie, Grease, RENT, and Spring Awakening.
- Unpopular or allegedly "bad" shows that I adore: Dracula (Wildhorn), Jekyll & Hyde, Merrily We Roll Along, and Side Show.
- I like both "regular musicals" (those with 20-50% songs and the rest as spoken dialogue) and mostly or fully sung-through shows; it all depends on the individual show for me. And there are some where if I directed a production, I'd be tempted to add more singing rather than spoken dialogue.
- I'm a huge Sondheim fan, but I also enjoy many shows by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Frank Wildhorn, and hate seeing flame wars between their fans.
- Despite loving Sondheim, I kinda disagree with him as far as Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin being the best people to play the leads in his shows. They're okay, but... well, for example, just about every other Witch I've seen or heard in Into the Woods, I've preferred to Bernadette. And I honestly dread the possibility of either (or both) of them being cast in a leading role in Sweeney Todd. Bernadette as the Beggar Woman and/or Mandy as the Beadle would be fine with me; just not Lovett and Todd for them.
- My view on Patti LuPone tends to vary depending on the show -- I'm not a huge fan of her in Evita, Sunset Boulevard, or Anything Goes (among others), but loved her in the concert versions of Sweeney Todd and Passion, as well as Gypsy.
- In Les Misérables, I've gotten used to the new orchestrations -- I used to really hate them, but they've grown on me.
- I really, really dislike Idina Menzel's voice and acting.
- For Phantom of the Opera, I have a bit of a soft spot Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman in the leading roles because they were the first I heard, but there are many, many other Phantoms and Christines I prefer. I doubt Crawford and Brightman would even be among my top 20 favorites of all the I've heard in their respective roles.
- I love Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, but it isn't my favorite musical adaptation of the story -- I prefer the ones by Ken Hill, Yeston and Kopit, and Tom Alonso.
- I enjoy listening to musicals in other languages, and often find that I prefer foreign casts to those from Broadway or West End.

That's it for now... There might be more in the future.

Last edited by Toru771 on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:15 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Why do you only tolerate "birdie"? I rather like it.

Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:11 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Main Role: Fan
It's similar to my feelings about Cats -- I find some of the songs catchy and fun (if a bit too simplistic, though that was probably the point), but that's about it. I consider the plot and characters generally dull, and the show has no real emotional resonance for me. I don't mind others liking it, though.

And I edited my previous post to fix a grammar fail I only just noticed. #-o

Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
- I still love RENT. It's not perfect, but it will always hold a special place in my heart. I don't believe it's success was just because of Larson's passing.
- I like Legally Blonde. I've always loved the movie. I think the musical was exactly what it set out to be, fun, catchy, funny with some feminism. It was never aiming to be a ground breaking drama.
-I honestly have never been able to sit through anything related to Phantom. I know the story. I've never listened to the entire cast album, seen the movie, or seen the show. I have no desire to. I think it's beyond overrated.
-I've tried to sit through some of Webber's stuff. I can't say I've enjoyed any of it.
-I obviously prefer Sondheim to Webber. But I find some of Sondheim's stuff a little boring. Although I have found, for whatever reason, for me I enjoy Sondheim 10x more when I'm seeing it as opposed to hearing it.
-I find some of Sondheim's stuff dull, but other stuff makes me want to cry.
-I like Next to Normal but I think the lyrics are a piece of crap.
-I think Wicked is overrated. But I think the music is better then the script.
-Wicked is overrated but not bad. I understand why so many people see it. (I've seen it myself 3 times, although twice were last minute extra ticket situations.)
-I don't understand why everyone thought Anne Hattaway was so amazing as Fantine. I thought she just cried in front of a camera instead of singing.
-I am less likely to forgive crappy lyrics then I am to forgive crappy music.
-I adore Frozen.
-No seriously I love Frozen. I love it so much my boyfriend got me a handmade Anna costume from the Philippines. I now wear it to children's parties.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4