Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jukebox musicals for deserving artists 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Jukebox musicals for deserving artists
WHERE?!? I want!!

Also, I can see music from Destiny's Child being used in a juke box musical.....some woman learning to be independent and get out of a bad relationship maybe, though that's been done before? Using songs like Bills Bills Bills, Say My Name, Survivor, Independent Woman.....

Last edited by Gwen on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:10 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Gurl get out from under that rock of yours! Movin' Out! I've never seen it, but I know it's all about Billy Joel's music. Although from what I remember from the ads when it first came out, I think it's more of a music and dance experience than a true musical. So if that's the case, then your greatest wish has yet to be fulfilled lol.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I like my rock. [-( ;)
Destiny's Child maybe? I could totally jam to that, lol. (See my edited post.)

The Backstreet Boys. X D

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm
Profile YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I missed you Gwen :D Destiny's Child jukebox musical would honestly be awesome. I would totally go see a Backstreet Boys musical, but it probably wouldn't be very "critically acclaimed" or "artistic." It'd be hella fun though haha. Just imagine the uplifting power ballad: BACKSTREET'S BACK, ALRIGHT!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:18 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I consider Movin' Out to be a Dance Play with a live band. I loved it when I saw it, beautiful dancing!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

With the Backstreet Boys, I think their music could fit a storyline for a band who nearly falls apart and then the ending number is Backstreet's Back because the band finds out they'll do very well.

:eh:
:lolno:

It could work!

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:35 am
Profile YIM
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
Pink Floyd's The Wall. I heard there was some sort of stage production way back when so maybe a revival of that (anyone have any info on it?) I saw Roger Water's current concert tour back in 2010 and quite enjoyed the stage effects. Momentary Lapse of Reason would be pretty badass too but there are too many instrumentals.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

le_moofin wrote:
Gurl get out from under that rock of yours! Movin' Out! I've never seen it, but I know it's all about Billy Joel's music. Although from what I remember from the ads when it first came out, I think it's more of a music and dance experience than a true musical. So if that's the case, then your greatest wish has yet to be fulfilled lol.

That's right. The band and singer are above and a dance group is on stage. It's somewhat pantomime as it is nothing but Billy Joel songs and the dancers act out a story. It works best as interpretive dance because I couldn't make out a story in all that. My only clue to a story being there was the write up in my program. Movin' Out! is not a true musical.

So, yeah, Billy Joel's songs would be another good candidate for a juke box musical.

Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:45 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Has anybody heard of the pop group Busted? Their songs seem to have a coherent story to them that I could see being a musical.
The story would be set in the 90s and focus around three best friends: a nerd with a massive crush on his history teacher, a wannabe rockstar with a stalker and a pop culture junkie crushing on Britney Spears, and how their respective obsessions play out. I won't tell you which ends up how but one ends up institutionalized, one is talked out of their crush and one ends up living happily ever after with their objet d'obsesion.

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:10 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
That's sort of already been done with Loserville, though with songs from James Bourne's other band Three Doors Down

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:37 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Brother Marvin Hinten, S. wrote:
^ A musical drama featuring the songs of Michael Jackson has already been in development with the authorization of first Michael and then his Estate for some time.

Since I found my old post, in the interest of being more specific, I was intimately involved in this project in the 2005/06 period. As Andrew Lloyd Webber stated in a release shortly after Jackson's death, Michael was in love with Phantom of the Opera, and at one point wanted to play the title role in a film version. At the time Michael expressed interest, however, the show had just opened, and Webber wasn't interested in exploring its film possibilities just yet, for fear of canceling out the stage show's success.

Fast-forward several years. In the mid-to-late Nineties (I wanna say 1996), my colleague, the gentleman who got me into and has shepherded me through the world of show business, was introduced to their then-publicist by mutual acquaintances for the purpose of doing projects for the Jackson family (though he and Jermaine had known each other for years, on and off, tangentially; they'd played together in Hawaii when they were kids on vacation).

Long story short: Michael wanted a Phantom, my colleague said "Why don't we just use your songs?" and a catalogue musical / star vehicle called M1: The Phantom was developed, featuring an original book by my colleague, and music and lyrics by the composers and lyricists in the catalogue of music as performed by MJ. It was the only such piece ever authorized by Michael himself, and at one point we had a funding commitment from investors in Tokyo, but only on the condition that Michael could be ambulated (he'd had a spotty attendance record for concerts and the like in the recent past). We couldn't guarantee that, and the opportunity was lost at the time, but the show is still there, waiting...

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:50 am
Profile ICQ YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I can see by the previous posts that I basically don't know jack squat about jukebox musicals, either that or my ideas are just so good that they've already been done before I could even get started. ;)
So I have a new idea based on an album that's currently popular and so new that it hasn't been done, Night Visions by Imagine Dragons.
I could see it as some sort of sci-fi dystopia/rebellion story. Think We Will Rock You but with a touch more Spring Awakening, stylistically (like making the songs mostly character-driven etc.)
Sure, it would be a challenge to come up with a specific story but if someone does that, and does that right, it would definitely be Tony-worthy.

Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next