The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Ingenue make-up advice needed!! (asap) 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Ingenue make-up advice needed!! (asap)
Usually I'm pretty good with stage make-up, but I want to make sure I really do all I can to get this right, especially since I need to do all I can to look as young as possible ;) PLaying opposite someone who is 15 years younger than me in an ingenue role... eeep!
So, does anyone have tips on ingenue-y makeup? Or general stage makeup to help me look younger?
I have deep set eyes, which usually make dramatic eye makeup useless. And puffy baggy things under my eyes, especially when I smile (genetic, not lack of sleep!)
Was planning on trying false eyelashes, but other than that...?
I don't have any recent pics of me, but here are a few:

Photos or videos would be especially helpful. Thanks!!!

Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:20 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Ingenue make-up advice needed!! (asap)
Dear Brigantine,

While I am no makeup expert, I have a few hints for you.

An ingenue is usually a young, innocent heroine type, so your look must be young, fresh, innocent, and sweet.

The following are a few hints:

* Make your complexion look fresh! Your skin tone seems to be fair to medium, so play up its fair aspect, especially with regards to your face, neck, and chest, by applying some natural-looking powder (?) over the regular stage makeup. The under eye bags can more than likely be corrected with some light-hued makeup. If a more country/ prairie look is desired, paint a few freckles across your nose, making certain that they look stage-appropriate, yet natural.

* Your eyes are naturally blue, right? Big, blue eyes always seem to look good on an innocent ingenue, so play up the wide-eyed look with eyeliner, and either lash-extending mascara, or false eyelashes. Your eyelashes should look long and fluttery, for maximum effect. If your look must be more pretty than natural, wear powder blue or lavender eye shadow, but if you're supposed to look plain, utilize peach, tan, white (with just a hint of blue), or tawny eye shadow.

* Make your cheeks look extra rosy! Innocent ingenues should sport rosy, healthy-looking cheeks, so don't be afraid of the blush, and perhaps add a tad of blush to your forehead, and to your nose and chin, too!

* Your lip color can make you look more like an ingenue! Choosing a pretty hue of pink lipstick can make you look innocent and pretty. Applying some clear gloss on top of the lipstick can make an innocent pout stand out even more!

* Don't forget the eyebrow pencil! An ingenue's eyebrows should be expressive, so if yours are a tad light, make them slightly darker, for maximum effect!

* Highlighting and shadows are important! If you'd like to make your nose look longer, "shade" the sides of it with slightly darker makeup. If you want your cheeks to look more hollow, use the blush brush to create a more elongated stroke, rather than a round one.

As I said, I know about as much about stage makeup as Elvira knows about saying Grace, but I hope that the aforementioned hints are helpful.

Well, thanks in advance for your reply, and I hope that you are able to make a successful ingenue!
:idea:

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:31 am

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post Re: Ingenue make-up advice needed!! (asap)
Thanks, Duchess. I think I've managed all these things, but good to keep in mind. I'll post pictures when I can. Our laptop crashed and I haven't set up the desktop yet with my digitial camera (or maybe I just have to plug it it? Haven't tried yet). So you can tell me what you think :)

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]