Dear Musicals.Net Posters,
If you were a teen girl during the past, or you are a teen girl today, feel free to answer the following questions:
FOR WOMEN WHO WERE TEENS DURING THE 1970s:
1. Did you watch "Little House on the Prairie" with your family, and/ or did you adopt the Laura Ashley prairie look?
2. Were you shocked because you had a mother who was all of a sudden working?
3. Did you frequent Discos?
4. Did you aspire to look like Farrah Fawcett, Jane Fonda, Lynda Carter, etc., and/ or did you desire Robert Redford, Donny Osmond, or David Cassidy?
5. Did you experiment with The Occult, Oiji boards, cults, etc.?
6. Were you shocked and saddened to hear about the Love Canal disaster, The Jonestown Massacre, the Three Mile Island disaster, and/ or the Iran hostage crisis?
7. Did you wear bell bottoms?
8. Did you eat granola, yogurt, fondu, and/ or quiche?
9. Were you excited about seeing "Love Story", "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", "Star Wars", "Greece", etc.?
10. Were you either entranced or traumatized by "The Exorcist", "Halloween", "The Brood", etc.?
11. Did you wear a super short, shaggy hairstyle and/ or Farrah Fawcett wings?
12. Did you ever wear a dress that was made of paper, and/ or tall, leather boots?
13. Were you an anorexic, an alcoholic, a pot smoker, and/ or an LSD user?
14. Did you wear platform shoes?
15. Were you as shocked as your mother was when Growing Up Skipper (She grew a chest with the turn of her arm) was marketed to your little sister by Mattel?
16. Did you love listening to songs like "Rocky Mountain High", and/ or Disco favorites?
17. Did you eat Reese's Pieces?
18. Did you wear MOD fashions, a flip hairstyle, Day Glo colors, and/ or colored nylons?
19. Did you feel mistrustful of adults, and/ or watch shows like "All In The Family", or did you desire the past, and watch shows like "Happy Days"?
20. Was your boyfriend sent to Vietnam, and did you support, or oppose, the war?
21. Were you into natural living, and did you start to care about chemical/ additive/ environmental issues?
22. Were you a late 1970s punk, Goth (?), etc.?
23. Did you use the word "groovy" in every other sentence?
24. Were you involved with The Women's Movement?
25. Were you into sports?
BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you believe that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you had been either a drug addict or a materialistic Disco groupie?
FOR WOMEN WHO WERE TEENS DURING THE 1980s:
1. Were you a Valley Girl, who walked the walk, talked the talk, etc.?
2. Did your parents party, do drugs, and ignore you, and did you do pot, heroine, and/ or become an alcoholic?
3. Were you bulemic, and/ or did you diet in order to be thin enough that you wouldn't look stupid when you pigged out at fancy parties?
4. Were you saddened by the Challenger tragedy?
5. Did you aspire to look like Brooke Shields, Linda Evans, Molly Ringwald, Tiffany, Madonna, etc., and/ or were you crazy for Tom Selleck, Tom Cruise, or Rick Astley?
6. Were you crazy about teen movies like "Valley Girl", "Sixteen Candles", "Footloose", "Pretty in Pink", etc.?
7. Did you have to have big hair, and/ or "Mall Bangs", and if you had "Mall Bangs", how high were they?
8. Was Aqua Net your second best friend?
9. Did you love "E.T.", or either of the second and third "Star Wars" movies?
10. Did the thought of Freddy and/ or Jason scare you?
11. Did you see the original, 1980 version of "Prom Night"?
12. Did you wear your hair long and wavy, and did you part it down the middle?
13. Were you interested in The Counterculture of the late 1960s?
14. Did you watch MTV, and/ or "Labyrinth"?
15. Did you know about the Vanessa Williams Miss America scandal, and/ or did you listen to her music?
16. Did you like Michael Jackson?
17. Were your favorite shows "Saved By the Bell", "Punky Brewster", "ALF", "Family Ties", "The Ten of Us", etc.?
18. Did you crimp your hair?
19. Did you get either Rocker Barbie or Jem, even though you were a teen, just because those dolls reminded you of Madonna and MTV?
20. Did your mother grill you about Nancy Regan's "Just Say No!" campaign, telling you that you'd better not become a drug user, and/ or did your parents talk to you about strangers and child molesters?
21. Did your brother, and/ or your boyfriend wear his hair in a mullet?
22. Did your mother think that "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" was too adult for your little siblings?
23. Did you wish that your house didn't look so darned 1970s?
24. Did you prefer New Wave music over Disco music?
25. Were you a Goth, and/ or a punk, or did you look like a Valley Girl, or like a cowgirl/ prairie girl?
BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you believe that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you'd been wealthy, neglected, and monetarily spoiled?
FOR WOMEN WHO WERE TEENS DURING THE 1990s:
1. Did you speak like a Valley Girl (Ie: "I was, like...", "And she's all...", etc.)?
2. Did you use Sun-In?
3. Were you anorexic or bulemic?
4. Did you wear neutral colors, while avoiding bright colors as though they were the Plague?
5. Did your parents divorce while you were a teen?
6. Did you listen to The Cardigans, and/ or did you like The New Kids on the Block?
7. Were you always trying to convince every other teen that you'd suffered more than they had, and that they'd never be able to understand you?
8. Did you go away to college claiming to have been either molested or raped as a child?
9. Did you own a brown and gold striped shirt?
10. Did you put on a super quiet, disinterested, blah attitude for everybody, including your peers?
11. Did you watch "Beverly Hills, 90210", "Melrose Place", and/ or "Party of Five" religiously?
12. Were you a Goth and/ or did you ever watch "Casper" in a theatre?
13. Did you aspire to look like Cindy Crawford, Jennifer Aniston, and/ or Kate Moss, and did you desire Leonardo DiCaprio, or any of the other popular male celebrities of the 1990s?
14. Did your parents think that "Cool World" was too adult for you to watch?
15. Did you enjoy the movies "Romeo + Juliet" and/ or "Titanic"?
16. Did you ever use Sally Hansen nail products?
17. Did you wear a belly button ring?
18. Did you cry during "Beauty and the Beast", and/ or "The Lion King", and/ or did you think that "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" was scandalous?
19. Did you own an American Girl doll (Some teens just like dolls, while others collect them for display purposes only)?
20. Did you own Totally Hair Barbie, Teen Talk Barbie, any of Mattel's Disney dolls, the controversial Butterfly Art Barbie, and/ or any of the Generation Girls dolls (Some teens like dolls, and others collect them for display purposes)?
21. Did you have Beanie Baby?
22. Did you have Britney Spears' first c.d., and/ or did your parents believe that she was the worst role model ever for teenagers?
23. Were you a heroine addict, and/ or an alcoholic, and/ or were you depressed and suicidal?
24. Did you crimp your hair, and/ or wear stirrup pants, and/ or wear boots, etc.?
25. Did you own a strappy, velvet-look party dress in black, red, navy blue, or forest green?
* BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you feel that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you'd had an eating disorder, come from a broken home, been mistreated as a kid, and/ or just suffered more when you were a teenager?
FOR TEEN GIRLS OF THE EARLY 2000s (2000-2009)
1. Were you looking forward to the year 2000, or were you worried about Y2K?
2. You were more than likely saddened by the 9-11- 2001 tragedies, but were you surprised by the fact that America was attacked?
3. Were you trying to keep your little sisters from listening to Britney and Christina?
4. Did you love the music of Britney, Christina, and/ or Mandy, and did you desire Justin Timberlake?
5. Did you see "Fantasia 2000"?
6. Were you an internet, and/ or YouTube junkie, and/ or did you date online?
7. Did you start an Atkin's Diet routine, and then ditch the diet as soon as it became unpopular?
8. Were you depressed, a cutter, a drug-addict, and/ or an alcoholic, and did you abuse prescription drugs, and/ or did you watch "The Dr. Phil Show"?
9. Did your parents have you and raise you together, without ever having married each other, and/ or did they divorce when you were super young?
10. Did you frequent Starbucks?
11. Were you pressured to be politically correct, or could you never imagine being anything except politically correct?
12. Did you go crazy for the "American Idol" craze?
13. Did you aspire to look like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara, Mandy Moore, Carrie Underwood, etc.?
14. Did you collect either the Liv dolls or the Moxie Teenz dolls?
15. Did you wear a Promise Ring?
16. Did you watch "My Super Sweet 16", and was your Sweet 16 party comparable to those of any of the stars of that show?
17. Did you wear pointy-toed high heels, and/ or flats?
18. Did you try to look like a New Wave, 1980s chick?
19. Did you grow really quickly compared to the speed with which your older sisters/ cousins had grown at your age?
20. Were you Autistic, ADHD, Bi-Polar, Schizophrenic, Diabetic, and/ or obese, and, if you had any of these conditions, did you fit in because of them, or did you feel awkward because of them?
21. Did you consider your political opinions to be of the utmost importance, with regards to how you fit in with your peers?
22. Were you registered on MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.?
23. Did any teen guys whom you knew adopt a Ryan Seacrest hairstyle?
24. Did you become an Emo kid, or were you more the punk type?
25. Did your brother, and/ or your boyfriend go away to war, and were you surprised when we went to war?
BONUS QUESTION: Did/ do you feel that you would have fit in more successfully with your peers if you'd been either more mentally ill, or more Emo/ punk, and/ or if you'd been more like the teen guests on "The Dr. Phil Show" ?
FOR TEEN GIRLS OF TODAY (2010 to the present time)
1. Do you need to lose at least 10 pounds?
2. Are you crazy for Justin Beiber?
3. Are you an Emo girl, and/ or a cutter, who always claims that nobody understands your pain?
4. Have you abused Oxycotin?
5. Has at least one of your older siblings already been through a divorce?
6. Are you on at least three prescription medications, AND birth control as well?
7. Are you Autistic, Bi-Polar, ADHD, or all three?
8. Do you wear tight, scrunchy "Char-Pei puppy" jeans, bright colors, and/ or a choppy, layered hairstyle?
9. Are you dreaming of having a "Baby Bump" someday soon, and/ or do you think that Bristol Palin is the best mother in the world?
10. Have you gone completely insane over a "hot" guy whom you only know on the internet?
11. Have you attempted to create "The Snooki Pouf" with your own hair?
12. Is your boyfriend overseas?
13. Have you gone green?
14. Do you aspire to look like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, and/ or Adele?
15. Do you believe that either Megan Fox or Meghan McCaine are good role models for girls?
16. Do you own a Justin Beiber doll (Some teens like dolls, and others collect them for display purposes only)?
17. Do your parents make you watch "Dr. Phil", "Dr. Oz", "The Anderson Cooper Show", or any other similar show, in order to teach you how to grow up decently?
18. Are you obsessed with California and/ or Hollywood?
19. Are you a rabid "Twilight" and/ or vampire fan?
20. Have you created at least one Youtube video?
21. Do you know somebody who has committed suicide due to an instance/ instances of cyber-bullying?
22. Have you ever misheard somebody, bumped into someone, gotten into a vehicle accident, etc., due to your habit of constantly texting/ sexting people?
23. Do you eat soy products, or do you avoid soy products? Are you a gluten glutton, or have you gone gluten-free? Do you love tofu, or have you given tofu the boot?
24. Do you wear hair extensions, clip-in feather decorations, bright hair color streaks, etc.?
25. Are you looking forward to the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London?
* BONUS QUESTION: Do you believe that you'd fit in more successfully with your peers if you were an Emo girl, if you were more like Lady Gaga, if you were some type of an addict, if your boyfriend were overseas, if you were a pregnant teen, if you were on a few mental medications, etc.?
Thank you in advance for your replies.