The Resource For Musicals



The MdN Social Club Forum


Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
So...about this Healthcare Reform... 
Author Message
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:54 am
Posts: 1050
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
Jman383 wrote:
After all, we're becoming more and more like those Godless communists bahahahahaha.


"Godless communists?"
:-k


Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 2635
Location: Nowhere
Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
Dax wrote:
Jman383 wrote:
After all, we're becoming more and more like those Godless communists bahahahahaha.


"Godless communists?"
:-k


Perhaps not communists, but careless control freaks all the same. *shrug*


Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:54 am
Posts: 1050
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
elphieglinda16 wrote:
Dax wrote:
Jman383 wrote:
After all, we're becoming more and more like those Godless communists bahahahahaha.


"Godless communists?"
:-k


Perhaps not communists, but careless control freaks all the same. *shrug*



hmm.. :think: like overseeing regulatory bodies..? Or like the over-religious


Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 2560
Location: California
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
Colle wrote:
I disagree with it, I think it really is unconsituational and a way for the government to take control of healthcare. The quality of healthcare will go down and people will end dying/living shorter lives because of it(like what has happened in other countries that have univerical/government controled healthcare) if it is not repealed.

I am disappointed in Roberts, I thought he was a conservative and believed in freedom.

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about it. I'm not very researched. However, your claim that life expectancy would go down "like what has happened in other countries," well...

Google search on "life expectancy by country." Brings me to a Wikipedia page which ranks the countries, placing the United States at 38, which puts us below the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Switzerland, Canada, and Cuba.

I can get not liking the healthcare bill, but please don't make stuff up. Also, consider using a spellchecker.


Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:46 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:03 pm
Posts: 2756
Location: New York, NY
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
Forgive me, I was making a joke. We only adopted that religious slogan to further separate us from the USSR. Now that we may be adopting socialist reforms, it should be done away with. It should be done away with anyways, because our constitution was formed on a secular basis, but now with this, it's even sillier to maintain it.

_________________
Image
Previous Forum Casts: Mark (Rent), Boq (Wicked), Fagin (Oliver)
MDN's Most Handsome 2010


Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm
Posts: 2635
Location: Nowhere
Current Obsession: Writing
Main Role: Fan
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
Well, some of us like to take life seriously and try to overanalyze everything because it's fun. :)


Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:28 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:54 am
Posts: 1050
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
Jman383 wrote:
Forgive me, I was making a joke. We only adopted that religious slogan to further separate us from the USSR. Now that we may be adopting socialist reforms, it should be done away with. It should be done away with anyways, because our constitution was formed on a secular basis, but now with this, it's even sillier to maintain it.

Well, first thing is there's nothing "socialist" in this supposed "reform."

And as for our Constitution having a "secular" basis, well, that's up for interpretation. Only one of the founders might be considered to be an "atheist." (of the "soft kind) And if anyone imagined in the 18th century that atheism was the way to go they certainly kept that really quiet.


Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:49 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:52 pm
Posts: 1043
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
As a Christian gal, I would really like it if references to God were removed from money and the pledge and such. I'm a big believer in separation of church and state, especially because only the close-minded fundamentals use God as a platform for SECULAR politics. I like religion and I like politics, but I hate the crazy love child spawned by mixing the two.

Also, most of the Founders were deist. By "God" they meant "a powerful or higher being that probably had a hand in creating the world and shaping man, but definitely doesn't get involved in our petty wars." So no, they didn't mean the Christian God. Not saying the Christian God DOES get involved in those wars.... but the ruling Christians like to think He does. :-" Anyway, I should probably stop bashing fellow believers baha.

_________________
Currently: Ensemble, Assassins
Previously: Lucy Brown, The Threepenny Opera; Kim MacAfee, Bye Bye Birdie; Edith, Pirates of Penzance; Penny Sycamore, You Can't Take It With You


Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:25 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:54 am
Posts: 1050
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
le_moofin wrote:
As a Christian gal, I would really like it if references to God were removed from money and the pledge and such. I'm a big believer in separation of church and state, especially because only the close-minded fundamentals use God as a platform for SECULAR politics. I like religion and I like politics, but I hate the crazy love child spawned by mixing the two.

*nods* I see room for agreement.

le_moofin wrote:
Also, most of the Founders were deist. By "God" they meant "a powerful or higher being that probably had a hand in creating the world and shaping man, but definitely doesn't get involved in our petty wars." So no, they didn't mean the Christian God. Not saying the Christian God DOES get involved in those wars.... but the ruling Christians like to think He does. :-" Anyway, I should probably stop bashing fellow believers baha.

Deist doesn't mean "atheist." And not one truly disbelieved in God.
FYI: Founding Fathers' Religion
Of the 55 delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention, 49 were Protestants, and two were Roman Catholics (D. Carroll, and Fitzsimons). Among the Protestant delegates to the Constitutional Convention, 28 were Church of England (or Episcopalian, after the American Revolutionary War was won), eight were Presbyterians, seven were Congregationalists, two were Lutherans, two were Dutch Reformed, and two were Methodists.

A few prominent Founding Fathers were anti-clerical Christians, such as Thomas Jefferson (who created the so-called "Jefferson Bible") and Benjamin Franklin. A few others (most notably Thomas Paine) were deists, or at least held beliefs very similar to those of deists.

---------------------

I would be careful of ignoring the population. The founding fathers didn't. That's why all their public speeches are all peppered with references to the Bible and God.

And as interesting as that may be, look at the nations that enforced atheism ;) ...


Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 am
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:03 pm
Posts: 2756
Location: New York, NY
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
You realize deist and atheist were synonymous in 1776, yes?

_________________
Image
Previous Forum Casts: Mark (Rent), Boq (Wicked), Fagin (Oliver)
MDN's Most Handsome 2010


Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:52 pm
Posts: 1043
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
Be that as it may, look at modern day theocracies. Let's not be like them, kay? I don't want my God plastered all over corrupt political campaigns and legislature. I don't see why other people do. Legitimately weirds me out.

_________________
Currently: Ensemble, Assassins
Previously: Lucy Brown, The Threepenny Opera; Kim MacAfee, Bye Bye Birdie; Edith, Pirates of Penzance; Penny Sycamore, You Can't Take It With You


Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:02 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:54 am
Posts: 1050
Post Re: So...about this Healthcare Reform...
No modern day theocracies, and certainly no government-enforced atheism. (the few examples that existed, were truly heinous)

Jman383 wrote:
You realize deist and atheist were synonymous in 1776, yes?

No...

Deism was a different ideal dating back at least to Atheism's origin. (Plato's Demiurge is an example of Deist thought.)
Compare to Atheism's rejection of any belief in a Creator.
And again, the few founding fathers that were Deist, believed just what it was; a belief in a Creator.

Which encourages me to think that Atheism was too radical, even frightening, to accept in the 18th century.


Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 3KidsOr4, Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.