The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
What happened to Aimee? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post What happened to Aimee?
Just thinking about the old Mods that used to be so involved...

Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:05 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: What happened to Aimee?
59 views and no one knows? LOL

I haven't posted in a while, I'm just surprised not to see her since she used to be here all the time?

Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:30 am

Main Role: Fan
Aimee is alive and well. She posts on the Admin board occasionally. She has not been active posting in the forums for a while.

Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:15 pm

Sorry you have a problem with people having busy lives, RainbowJude. I suppose I attract your ire as well. The thing is, for me at least, I undertook to be a moderator on this site, and although life has moved on for me and I'm no longer that interested in most of the topics that are posted here, I do check the boards and carry out moderator's duties where needful.

I also suspect that, like me, Aimee got heartily sick of being attacked, mocked, challenged, and treated with relentless hostility by certain individuals that used to think they could control these boards. You can only take so much nastiness before you give up trying to maintain a happy online presence.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:05 pm

RainbowJude wrote:
OK, I am just going to say it and I don't care how un-PC it is. I have a problem with moderators that separate themselves from the board in this way. If you aren't posting, you shouldn't be moderating. This board is a mere shadow of what it once was and the people who are given privileges above the average poster should be people who actively contribute to the boards.

People who put in lots of hours of unpaid volunteer service deserve gratitude - not scorn. [-X

I'm also not sure what "privileges" you are referring to. We moderators clean up after the mess on the board, nothing more.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:46 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: punctuation
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!

OCCUPY MUSICALS DOT NET!

(Seriously?)

The Very Angry Man has retired from musicals.net.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:17 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

RainbowJude wrote:
I am sorry you missed the point, as you so often do. If you have a busy life, that's great. But as you say, you undertook the duties of a moderator while you were interested in the topics here and my point is that if you have moved on, then that's fine. Move on and give the job to someone who is willing to do it. I also have a hugely busy life, but I check in here all the time - but that's because I'm interested in what's going on here, not because I'm trying to do something that I don't really want to do anymore.

To be fair, I think what your definition of what a busy life is might be different than what some of these people are going through. I know for a fact that Set_Building_Dad has a family to raise, I'm sure other moderators have one as well, and I'm sure in those cases, they have to feed those families and keep things afloat. I imagine then in those cases that moderating this site is still on their list, but rather low, and I can sympathize with that. Besides, this comment also seems to imply there's no moderation at all, that this site has entered complete anarchy, which is not true.

RainbowJude wrote:
And that's when you hand over the duties to someone else. As for the rest, Aimee is made her own bed. She locked many a thread that didn't need locking and was certainly provocative in her style of posting and moderating. Some of us who've been here a long time remember that, though much of the evidence is gone thanks to the changeover. Don't pretend that any response to the moderators is completely unprovoked. It isn't.

In the last 18 months or so, I personally cannot really remember any major user getting banned, or there being a major thread locked and having people drastically complain about it. I can remember as well when things were much more chaotic 2-4 years ago, but since then I've seen topics sail along here smoothly regardless of subject matter, with their life force being determined strictly by the posters involved and the discussion within it. While I don't know for sure, it seems like based on what you're saying that you're holding a grudge based on stuff that happened 5 years ago and beyond, which if that's the case, I think it might be time to let go. No grudge deserves to be carried on for this long, if in fact it has been.

RainbowJude wrote:
Thank you for cleaning up spam and for moving threads to the right place. I am very grateful for what you (all) do in that regard.

However, there are times when you apply the rules of the board inconsistently. There are times when you have banned some of the most regular on-topic contributors to the board in the name of preserving some kind of social atmosphere and a perceived sense of community. Where did that get us? It got us to a place where the board mostly lies fallow, where people post almost exclusively about their social lives as if this site were an extension of Facebook or Twitter, and where musicals just don't matter any more. Some people might say, "So what? There are more important things in life than musicals." Yes, there are. But this site was created for people to discuss their common interest in musical theatre. Those of us who have been here for since the early days of the site remember its origins. I've been here for 12 years and that's what I try to preserve when I post here and when I ask for things to be posted on topic and in the right place. This site is called MUSICALS dot net, not SOCIAL NETWORKING dot net.

Let's look at this nugget from the rules thread.

Quote:
Here at Musicals.net we have one basic principle and that is that we expect people to post politely. All the rules below are guided by that one fundamental conviction.

With this as a "fundamental conviction" as the people who created these rules stated, of course a social atmosphere is going to be crucial, as whether people are polite or not is definitively a social action. If the social atmosphere is unpolite, then that means people are unpolite, and the fundamental conviction that is important to the people who created these rules is being broken.

The one thing that I think seems to bother you is this one, one that warnings are given for it seems:

Quote:
14. Please keep conversations on topic and in the appropriate forum.

And more specifically, it seems to upset you for two reasons. One, that social topics occur in the MdN Social Club, or two, that musical topics get their way onto the social club and not in a forum. However, if we take a look at said social club disclaimer on the front page:

Quote:
The Veterans and Long-time MdN-ers Hangout. Where topics lean toward the "Off" side. Formerly known and fondly remembered as the Miscellaneous board.

The only thing with this forum that gives any indication of there being a set guideline is that topics will lean towards the offside, not definitively go in one direction. They could lean in another direction, and then lean back to the offside. Until it's made clear that no musical topics can be allowed in that area, I don't necessarily see why musical discussion shouldn't occur there. Besides, wouldn't it achieve your purpose of having active discussions of musicals, regardless of the place?

Finally, last I checked, the only person who had a definitive idea of what this site should and shouldn't have been was Sally, back when she created this. I can't claim to know what Sally was thinking, and I don't think anybody else can either. Maybe she wanted strictly discussion of musicals and no social life, maybe she wanted a place where groups of musical lovers can join together and speak their mind together and bond based on one of many potential common interests. Until we gain the ability to read the mind of Sally, or any of the other original creators of this site whoever they may be, I don't think it's fair to say that this shouldn't also have a social networking component or a social area, because maybe that's what Sally really wanted. And last I checked, none of us are Sally, so I don't think it's fair for us to say what the site's true intention was or whether the site is going against it's "intended" purpose.

RainbowJude wrote:
We moderators clean up after the mess on the board, nothing more.
Viewing the job in that way is probably part of the problem, but it is also a disingenuous
way of describing the job. You've done more than clean up mess here - unless you're referring to people as "mess" too, which I sincerely hope is not the case.

I sincerely don't think he is. Besides, most of the spambots that have made the site suffer and are part of the "mess" aren't really people. They're programs.

RainbowJude wrote:

You have access to people's posts. You have the power to ban posters. You have the power to shape the board using the tools that moderators have to move threads to the right place and merge them when appropriate. You have the power to delete threads. These are all privileges that come with certain responsibilities.

Thus, your position of service is also a position of privilege. This is not, in fact, about scorn. It's about accountability. I don't think it is unfair to expect a moderator of a site to be somebody with an active interest in that site.

Again, I think if these moderators didn't have an active interest in the site, they wouldn't have responded to your points at all, they wouldn't have deleted the spambots, they would have just let this site go into an anarchic state. They've deleted threads, they've banned users, they have done the things you've stated. Maybe they haven't merged threads and used all the tools that you'd like them to use, but they've at least been doing their job at all, which again, I can imagine is better than having no moderation at all.

I'm sorry that you seem to have a personal problem with what's been going on, but I think what you've said here makes you appear as if you believe you are higher than the mods, the admins, even Sally when it comes to musicals.net, and I don't think that's the case.

Image The RIGHT banner made my the great Lexi.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:26 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have not been active of late, for reasons that I do not need to share. I do not intend to get into any arguments about the mods, or the posts, or the rules. I am too tired to fight with anyone. I would just like to offer an opinion that an important facet of the boards is to offer a place where people who like or love musical theater can meet and discuss things with like-minded people. If that means that one thread becomes a social network style thread, where no one needs to feel weird or freakish or odd because of their theater interests, and that one thread gets more attention because posters gravitate there, then so be it. It neither changes the nature of the Board as a whole with its myriad specific musical threads, nor devalues its worth as a musical theater forum. It does not prevent deep, in depth discussion of the musical themes in Les Miz, nor of the hierarchy of dance legends who have appeared in Anything Goes. Talk about interesting things, and lively discussion will follow. You cannot force people to be active on a thread that has no appeal. The social thread postings do not prevent activity on other threads. If you do not wish to participate on either type of thread, then just don't. There is room enough for both.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Main Role: Other...
teapot wrote:
I have not been active of late, for reasons that I do not need to share. I do not intend to get into any arguments about the mods, or the posts, or the rules. I am too tired to fight with anyone. I would just like to offer an opinion that an important facet of the boards is to offer a place where people who like or love musical theater can meet and discuss things with like-minded people. If that means that one thread becomes a social network style thread, where no one needs to feel weird or freakish or odd because of their theater interests, and that one thread gets more attention because posters gravitate there, then so be it. It neither changes the nature of the Board as a whole with its myriad specific musical threads, nor devalues its worth as a musical theater forum. It does not prevent deep, in depth discussion of the musical themes in Les Miz, nor of the hierarchy of dance legends who have appeared in Anything Goes. Talk about interesting things, and lively discussion will follow. You cannot force people to be active on a thread that has no appeal. The social thread postings do not prevent activity on other threads. If you do not wish to participate on either type of thread, then just don't. There is room enough for both.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Teapot, you. are. amazing.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:55 pm
Profile WWW

Well, here's my tuppenceworth.

I agreed to become a moderator years ago, when this site was a very rambunctious place, the playground of a number of seriously bullying, unpleasant people who made this an unhappy place for vulnerable youngsters who just wanted to talk about musical theatre. The introduction of moderators, and then Sally's laying out of the Rules of how she wanted her website to be run, slowly- and with immense amounts of outrage and nastiness from those who thought themselves far, far above toeing the line of moderation and good manners - changed MdN into a friendlier, safer place. Of course, take away the playground bullies and nasties, and you also remove the hangers-on and the people who visit out of curiosity to see who's being attacked this week - schadenfreude is a very strong human instinct. We've gone from being a rollercoaster to a teacup ride, you could say.

In those days, Aimee WAS indeed very much more active in posting about her musical theatre enthusiasms and productions. She found that her posts were being copied onto a site where they were mocked in a really vicious way, by the bullies we'd managed to remove from MdN. So it's hardly surprising that Aimee doesn't lay herself open to such treatment anymore. You see, anything that is posted on the MdN fora can be copied and cross-posted, as this is a public website.

I used to have a very strong interest in musical theatre through my daughters, who ten years ago were regular posters on MdN, until one of the psycho bullies decided to target them. My protective instincts drew me to defend them - which is why I have this username - and I was persuaded to become a moderator because so many vulnerable youngsters were being so badly abused here.

The site IS much quieter nowadays. People behave themselves, are nice to each other, and yes - it's possibly less exciting as the 'danger' element has been removed. I'm easy with that. My daughters are now grown up and are busy working in their respective theatre-related careers. I'm busy developing my own life as a writer and political activist.

So there you are. Life moves on, people move on. I'm staying on as moderator for the rare occasions, like over the past weekend, when I'm needed.

Blessings on y'all.

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:36 am

I'm here, occasionally. I got much busier singing professionally so when the new mods took on the job about 5 years ago, I took a back seat. I'm still here though to advise and help them when they need me.

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:52 pm

~~~~~ waves at Aimee ~~~~~

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:17 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]