The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Everything I Know About Life I Learned From Musical Theater 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Everything I Know About Life I Learned From Musical Theater
Hi all--

My daughter and I have a contract to publish a new book tentatively titled Everything I Know About Life I Learned From Musical Theater.

The book is a collection of lines from musicals that represent "life wisdom" - "words to live by" or even "catch phrases". For example, from Fiddler: “Good news will stay and bad news will refuse to leave.” from The Music Man: “That fella’s been the raspberry seed in my wisdom tooth just about long enough.” from Man of La Mancha: “But you know, your grace, whether the pitcher hits the stone or the stone hits the pitcher, it’s going to be bad for the pitcher.”

You get the idea.

We have quite a collection already but we'd love to hear from folks on musicals.net with your contributions--you'll be credited in the book and you'll receive a free copy if you share your "snail mail" address. Just post to this topic/forum.

Many thanks--

Joel Snyder, PhD

Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: Everything I Know About Life I Learned From Musical Thea
“TAKOMA CABARET” D E B U T S O N T A K O M A R A D I O

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2016 – 7:00 pm-8:00 pm
at 94.3 FM (in the Takoma area of MD/DC) or world-wide at takomaradio.org

Musical theater is a uniquely American form of theatrical performance that typically combines songs, spoken dialogue, acting, and dance. Musicals are performed around the world--including Takoma Park/Takoma DC and throughout the Washington, DC area. The new one-hour radio program (airing every other Sunday at 7:00 pm), TAKOMA CABARET, will share songs and stories from America's best musicals with involvement of DC area professionals and amateurs who love the world of musical theater.

All three co¬hosts—Joel Snyder, Maureen Kerrigan, and Steven Cupo—have dozens of years of experience working as professional performers in musicals throughout the nation. Each show will focus on a particular musical or theme and seeks to include the DC area musical theater community to generate topics and special guests.

And each show will feature trivia and contests!

Come to the Takoma Cabaret and join in the fun beginning on Sunday, September 25 from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm and every other Sunday on Takoma Radio at 94.3 FM (in the Takoma area of MD/DC) or world-wide at takomaradio.org. Mark your calendars for the rest of 2016--September 25, October 9 and 23, November 6 and 20, December 4 and 18, and January 1, 2017!

For more information, send a note to: takomacabaret@gmail.com or contact Joel Snyder at 301 270-0288.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:37 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: The Fantasticks
Main Role: Performer
This sounds like a really great idea! Hm...

"I can be whatever I want to be" and/or "Impossible things are happening everyday," Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella
"And the beauty is, when you realize, when you realize, someone could be looking for a someone like you," and/or "Love if you can, and be loved," The Light in the Piazza
"You have suffered enough and warred with yourself, it's time that you won," Once
"Life's not worth a damn till you can say 'Hey world, I am what I am,'" La Cage
"Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart and you'll never walk alone," Carousel
"Beautiful ain't always pretty," Shrek: The Musical
"You must believe that one day you're bound to find a stronger suit," Aida
"Day after day, give me clouds and rain and gray, give me pain if that's what's real, it's the price we pay to feel," Next to Normal
"You can take the future even if you fail," Mamma Mia
"Love is always better," Bridges of Madison County

I just chose 10 shows, I may write more another time, but hopefully something on here helped! :)

Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My Mom swears you can live your life from the lessons learned in "Fiddler on the Roof".

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:29 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Takoma Cabaret

UPCOMING SHOW:
Sunday, October 23, 2016 -- Our Halloween Spectacular with special guest JOHN ASTIN of "The Addams Family"

Join for for tunes from musicals that will make you shudder from fear--and delight! Shows to be featured include "Little Shop of Horrors," "Phantom of the Opera," "Carrie," "A Year With Frog and Toad," and "The Addams Family".

Speaking of that spooky television show from the 60s, our special guest will be JOHN ASTIN--you'll remember him as "Gomez Addams" from the hit TV show "The Addams Familiy." John will have all manner of creepy and kooky tales to tell.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 - 7:00 pm-8:00 pm EST, on WOWD-FM Takoma Park, 94.3 FM in the DC/Maryland area and *everywhere* at www.takomaradio.org.

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]