The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Top 5 Musicals 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Top 5 Musicals
Just saw this video that Flickreel made of their top 5 musicals, thought it was pretty good:

I would have Grease higher though, what would be your top 5?

Sat May 02, 2015 5:08 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Top 5 Musicals
I suppose it would be two different lists for me: musicals and film musicals.

For stage musicals, my top three are The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, and Fiddler on the Roof, with the next positions being taken by a few of the Disney musicals and some golden era shows (The Music Man, Oliver!, My Fair Lady, Hello, Dolly!, Camelot, Finian's Rainbow, etc.). I'm also a big fan of Andrew Lloyd Webber's music and enjoy some of his other shows besides Phantom (like Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat).

For film musicals, a lot of it has to do with how well they adapt it from the stage (unless it's an original musical - in that case I take it on its own merits). My top movies are Fiddler on the Roof, Hello, Dolly!, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, My Fair Lady, The Music Man, Singin' in the Rain, The Sound of Music, Oliver!, and plenty of others.

If you can't tell, I'm really, REALLY bad at narrowing it down to just five. :)

Past roles: Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller/Chorus (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Future dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

It's a miracle that the one who made the video had narrowed it down to just five. There are a LOT of good musicals. I'm currently into Disney musicals as my kids love watching them.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Main Role: Performer
sic4life27 wrote:
It's a miracle that the one who made the video had narrowed it down to just five. There are a LOT of good musicals. I'm currently into Disney musicals as my kids love watching them.

Oh my goodness, I love Disney musicals. Between those and the other great shows, there's a lot to choose from. Whenever I try to narrow down to my favorite musicals overall I just get overwhelmed with how many good ones there are. I know my top three, but after that there's just too many others...

Past roles: Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller/Chorus (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Future dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:26 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, My Fair Lady
Main Role: Fan
top 5 in no particular order:

Les Mis, My Fair Lady, Sweeney Todd, Little Shop, Victor Victoria

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:18 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have a problem with "Singin' in the Rain". The songs aren't integrated into the film. Just performances added with no clear reason. Great numbers but they don't advance the plot. And I'm a fan of "The Wizard of Oz", but it seems a bit weak as a musical. Hollywood felt the need to add songs to a film, but it doesn't strike me as a true musical.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:10 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, My Fair Lady
Main Role: Fan
Pounce wrote:
I have a problem with "Singin' in the Rain". The songs aren't integrated into the film. Just performances added with no clear reason. Great numbers but they don't advance the plot. And I'm a fan of "The Wizard of Oz", but it seems a bit weak as a musical. Hollywood felt the need to add songs to a film, but it doesn't strike me as a true musical.

I saw The Wizard of Oz at The London Palladium. I don't think it works on stage. It's purpose, after all, was for film

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]