The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Creating a musical as an 'Open Source' project 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Creating a musical as an 'Open Source' project
I'm new to this board, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place. It was the nearest thing I could find to a 'miscellaneous' category.

I am in the process of attempting to turn my 2011 novel Engineering Paradise (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Paradise-David-Gardiner/dp/095693790X) into a stage musical. This project has a history which I won't go into here, but essentially after a false start with full partner/collaborator on the music side I have now tried something which I think is new: I've borrowed a concept from the world of IT and thrown it open to all as an 'Open Source' project. I have set up a web page explaining what it's all about from which the full script and list of song lyrics can be downloaded, and I'm asking people to write melodies for my lyrics. The composers can retain full possession of anything they write including my lyrics – all I want is permission to use the resulting songs in my musical and to put them up on websites at my discretion.

As you can probably see I don't regard this as a commercial venture – I think it's highly unlikely that it will go 'mainstream' or generate revenue – I'm aiming it at student or amateur production, most likely in Northern Ireland where the story is set. I should explain that the story takes place in the 1960s in Belfast during the beginning of the most recent wave of 'Troubles', the one that ended (at least in theory) with the Good friday agreement of 1998. It's essentially a teenage love story set against the background of civil war in Ireland. More 'Cabaret' than 'No No Nanette'.

The kind of musician/composers I'm looking for will be folk singer/songwriters and balladeers in the tradition of such as Paul Simon, Don McLean, Janis Ian, Mary Gauthier and Leonard Cohen. I consider it to be a 'folk opera', the lyrics are written in the contemporary folk tradition and should be within the scope of a very small company with limited access to an 'orchestra' – perhaps with just a keyboard player or a guitarist in a little church hall somewhere.

This is a labour of love for me, I don't expect it to buy me a penthouse in an off-shore tax haven. Probably any musicians who work on it with me will need to have that attitude too. I very much hope some of you will be interested.

Please visit the page and read about the project: http://davidgardiner.net/EPOpen.html

Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]