The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Frozen 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Frozen
Thoughts? I loved it. I'll go into specifics in a bit, but I wanted to open this topic of discussion :-)

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Disney
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Frozen
It came out a bit later here in england. I saw it yesterday and I loved it. The Lopez's did manage to fill Alan Menken's shoes and I like the soundtrack and how many songs there are. But I have some tiny niggles with a couple of songs that sound a bit too modern in their instrumentation, like Love is An Open Door and Let It Go. I like both of those songs, but the four chords of pop (I, V, vi, IV) and/or a drumkit beat don't quite belong in a disney film

But I think its a real step up in Disney History. With this and Tangled we're finally past the attempting to be Pixar age and back to the quality fairy tale musicals

Hatter - Alice Panto
General Genghis Khan Schmitz - 'Seussical'
Priest - 'Our House'
Butler, Simeon u/s - 'Joseph'

Dream Roles: Cat in the Hat - 'Seussical', Thenardiér - 'Les Mis'

Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:22 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

BenTheBaritone wrote:
I like both of those songs, but the four chords of pop (I, V, vi, IV) and/or a drumkit beat don't quite belong in a disney film

And (I)can you (V)feel the (vi)love to(IV)night...

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:04 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well that was Elton John composing, and Lion King has always seemed less disneyish to me for that period, mainly because its not Alan Menken doing the music or someone writing in that style, it's Elton John pretty much writing Elton John, except Be Prepared.

Hatter - Alice Panto
Priest - 'Our House'

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:53 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Current Obsession: Elisabeth, Cats, Follies, Scarlet Pimpernel
I saw it on Saturday and was disappointed. I can't believe people love these songs. I didn't like ANY of them, though some were more tolerable than others. Tangled had a much more coherent plot, better characters (my favorite Disney villain), and lovely songs.

Am I missing something?

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So, this would be the "No True Disney Film" argument?

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:21 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Haven't seen it. What's the choir like? I know some people from Cantis, which is a choir that has contributed to the soundtrack.

I've also read the scenography is inspired by Norway. What do you think?

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think Cantus do one hymn which is in the score at the start and the end of the film.

Rorgg wrote:

I don't entirely get what you mean

Hatter - Alice Panto
Priest - 'Our House'

Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Current Obsession: Chess
BenTheBaritone wrote:

Rorgg wrote:

I don't entirely get what you mean

I believe he's alluding to the logical fallacy of 'no true Scotsman'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Haven't seen more than clips, have considered the plot, am mildly surprised that the one spouting ice doesn't have green skin.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:42 am

Well, this movie is monumental for several reasons. First and foremost, the animation is stunning. Probably one of Disney's best. The Let It Go sequence is chilling. Her building the castle, transforming herself, belting face, it's crazy good. The song will definitely be nominated for an Oscar.

Secondly, the thematic elements are some of Disney's most mature, realistic, relevant, and dare I say BOLD, that we have ever seen. Elsa learns from a young age that she is very different, and told by her parents that her difference is a bad thing that she has to hide and control, and keep secret from her younger sister, whom it may hurt.

She lives her life in seclusion, being reminded on a daily basis how 'bad' she is. People learn of this 'badness', they threaten to kill her. She runs away. She discovers how beautiful she is, and how she isn't 'bad', 'wrong' or 'evil'. She becomes a proud, confident and sexy young woman in the process, taking ownership of her identity.

Are you seeing why this is so relevant and powerful for a young audience?

Similarly, the thematic elements concerning 'true love' are quite daring. No marriage is allowed after a mere 24 hours, unlike most tales of the past. True love ISNT about just romance. And neither one of the princesses winds up married to a man at the end of the film. They're quite happy just living their lives, figuring it all out, like real people.

I dunno. I think it's being called the best Disney film since 'The Lion King' for a reason. Loved it.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I too loved it for all of the reasons stated above and more.

I really adored plot. And this is one of the few Disney films were the fact that the girls were princesses were relevant to the plot. (The only others that I can think of are Tangled and Aladdin. Maybe Sleeping Beauty.) But it also showed the consequences and responsibilities of being a princess. And ya know...ruling a country. Not just wearing pretty dresses.

I loved the whole no marriage after 24 hours. It kinda broke that whole Disney Love at true sight thing. I found it even better that they had a duet, but it didn't mean they were in love. Honestly I think one of my favorite plot point was when they find out only an act of true love will save Anna, and everyone, including the characters themselves, think it has to be true love's kiss. But it's not. Instead it's the love between the sisters. It's Anna giving up her life in exchange for her sisters, and Elsa crying over Anna's body. I think that's possibly my very favorite scene in the movie. Where Anna is frozen, and Elsa just clings to her and all you can hear are her broken sobs. I don't know, but my heart just broke.

I love how both sisters have their own flaws. Elsa is in no way your typical Queen or Princess. She retreats into herself, she has magic powers that can be dangerous, she can be cold and cruel, and she ultimately makes mistakes. She reacts out of fear and almost kills her sister. But, she's not a villain, because she really is just a frightened girl with a lot of responsibility who wants to protect her sister. I think she has a lot of self hate. What freaking Disney Princess has self hate issues?!?! Seriously.

And I love Anna. I love how she is naive. And she is called out on it. Like her longing for true love, or that she believes that she can save Arendale by simply talking to her sister. She's awkward, quirky, she makes mistakes, but ultimately her actions are driven by love.

It's a love story. But not your Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, the perfect beautiful princess teaches the Beast how to love because of her beauty and kindness, or the prince saves the damsel in distress, love story. Nope, it's the unending love between the sisters.

Definitely by favorite Disney Princess movie. By far.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next