The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241
"Dear Unnamed"...the rant message thread volume 2 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
Post Re: "Dear Unnamed"...the rant message thread volume 2
Dear Unnamed:

Five minutes. I did a novena for nine days that if you didn't, you would tell me verbally during this novena. Well, you didn't, and based on recent actions ... I know the truth. And oh hey, a Vineyard Vines ad just popped up. Your favorite store.

I'm still going to try anyway, but it's not working.

Love,
Me

Thu May 09, 2013 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Two.

Dear Unnamed:

Stop talking so much, time-waster. Nobody particularly cares for you except for your precious favorites.

<3 me.

---

Dear Unnamed:

If he didn't want to cast me based on my conflicts, he wouldn't have cast me. But he did, so he's clearly okay with my being in two shows. It is not your place to be judgmental and criticize the fact that I missed rehearsal on my scheduled conflict date. You're not the director or producer or anything to do with attendance. When you get that title, come talk to me. But since that day will never come, stop.

Love,

the person who thinks you might be a little bit mean.

Fri May 10, 2013 8:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Music
Main Role: Musician
Dear unnamed sense of enthusiasm,

You may have a great idea but you have no idea how to go about. Find some like minded people and it may become something.

Regards,
Josh

Wed May 22, 2013 3:05 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Current Obsession: Jason Robert Brown
Main Role: Director
Dear unnamed,
Please, stop believiing that because I study ancient greek, I can say "Hi ! How are you? have you seen my iPhone?" in ancient greek; However, I can say "Ah! would to Heaven the good ship Argo never had sped its course to the Colchian land through the misty blue Symplegades" if you want it.
thanks,
mibuulle

And I do NOT eat frogs !

Thu May 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Post deleted

Last edited by Brigantine on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dear Unnamed,

You know, this was an unpleasant event. Things like this generally are. And yes, I was displeased at the cast list, and didn't particularly go out of my way to hide it in the short time before I turned down the part. But honestly, the most unpleasant part of the whole thing was having to watch you play the innocent victim in our conversation when I did so. I wrote to you and the director at the same time, and she can be non-responsive, so you got the non-fun duty of fielding it. But if you'd just said "All right, sorry to hear that" and moved on? That would have been the end of it right there. But instead, I got a virtual earful of how you'd wished I'd said I would only accept certain parts. That wasn't my issue. In the last couple years, I was offered parts twice I specifically said I would not take, and, on reflection, took them and performed to the best of my ability. But, you know, since you asked (or actually, just stated...) I figured I might as well be honest and tell you the core of the reason -- I thought that there was a quid pro quo in the casting of the two leads, and that if the parts weren't really available, it was misleading to imply that they were.
You can't really ever prove such things, of course, but let's look at it from a step back. The two you cast in those roles work (or volunteer? Not quite sure) for the director in the capacity of her day job, which is apparently on the line to some extent after a number of complaints about that last haphazard production I was in. Not that I complained, I knew what I was getting into with this -- the last-minute slipshod production values on several things, but especially costuming. And, hey! What a crazy coincidence, the fellow who you cast in the lead is an experienced costumer. One huge gaping hole, covered. And the young woman is also directing your program for the kids' version of this same show. Huh.
No, I wasn't at the callbacks -- scheduling made that impossible, but my knowledge of these people, of the people who were also in the running, and the outcome, in addition to the opinions I've had shared with me by people familiar with the program and the show and its casting is a bit more that the "hearsay" that I'm apparently so much better than to listen to. And you agree with the casting? Well, okay. I had thought there was some favor-trading going on, but I guess then, that I'm left with option two: neither of you have any idea how to cast this show. In which case, why should I have any confidence in your ability to direct it?
Ultimately, my decision to decline this part (that I'm ultimately poorly-suited for in any case) came down to the experience of having a part that I was better suited for being given to someone else for outside reasons, then having that person make a complete hash of it. It left me (and I foresaw it happening again) with an awful attitude toward the production. Given that I was already forcing my daughter to take part to simplify childcare planning AND that the $100 that we're saving by not having either of us in the show is sorely needed now, letting us both off the hook seemed like the best route for everyone involved.
Regardless of my "disappointment."

--Me

P.S. Like I said, it's not my company, you guys can run it any way you like. But I don't have to be a part of it, and I won't be made to feel bad for feeling that way and not coming back.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hey again, unnamed from above,

Saw the show last weekend. Yeah. You STILL want to try to tell me this was the best possible cast?

*snerk*

I won't wait for a reply. But thanks in retrospect for making my decision not to take part in this trainwreck look like I hired Nostradamus as my advisor.

-Me

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
Dear so called 'friend',
This is the second time I find out, months after the fact, that you were too insecure to give me a compliment or pass on someone else's.
Stop posting inflammatory statements on fb that are meant to offend people, and then act shocked when people respond with your predicted 'defensive manoeuvres'.
Stop pretending like you can sing.
Stop thinking you look 20 years old, or that we look the same age.
Stop telling stories of when you were hanging out with/drinking with that director. 6 times tonight. SIX. And I've heard all the stories on three or four occasions now. Name dropping doesn't make up for the fact that, last year, he referred to you as the 'balding blonde bitch'.
Stop thinking that you can bag the lead in the next show. No way in he'll can you sing it. Hell, I can only sort of sing it. It's not a great fit for either of us, but at least I would be on pitch. If I even audition.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2888 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241