The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Review the last Movie you Saw thread... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Review the last Movie you Saw thread...
The Theory of Everything

Basically, a story of Stephen Hawking's life. Eddie Redmayne might get an oscar for his portrayl of Stephen, very convincing. Spends a lot of time about the trials of being a caretaker and -giver and the emotional toll it takes on a marriage. The only heartbreaking moment was wnen Jane's and Stephen's marriage ended, although that scene was a bit ambiguous. :wtf:

Basically a good human story about overcoming an illness (Stephen was given 2 years to live) and the difficulities of being a care-giver. Doesn't dwell too much on Stephen's physics.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The last movie i had seen is:
Meh
WALL-E
Yay! I'm a fan!

Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:30 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Frozen

Finally got around to seeing it. Wow...solid movie from beginning to end, never a dull moment. :thumbup: Any concerns that Disney animation could keep up with its other studio Pixar should be laid to rest.

Great writing and songs, and the songs advance the plot. Kirstin Bell is quite a voice talent. I was concerned that Olaf would be another annoying Jar Jar Binks, but he is a comedy gem and even helps move the plot along.

I can see why it has been an international smash hit.

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:10 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky...or just look in Toronto
Watched Maurice last night. Damn adorable movie, and Rupert Graves was pretty when he was young XD

I'm sucker for a good love story, Maurice was a VERY good one.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:20 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Into the Woods

Funny that it's a Disney production. And despite what some anti-Disneyites might say, Micky and Goofy don't appear in it. :D Pretty faithful to the stage show but minus the Narrator (but here is some voice-over). The film is good but the video with Bernadette Peters and Joanna Gleason is still better. The film obviously allows for better special effects, we get glimpses of the Giantess and the Witch's entrances and exits are pretty dramatic. Also the fight with the giant is drawn out a bit longer with less left to the imagination, and the beanstalk growing can be better illustrated. Anna Kendrick is pretty good as Cinderella and a good singer but on the video Cinderella's "No One Is Alone" is much more soulful and sung with a deeper understanding. Bernadette Peters was better than Meryl Streep with better comedic timing Joanna Gleason's Baker's wife outdoes Emily Blunt. Lilla Crawford was an unexpected standout as Little Red Riding Hood in terms of singing, though the video girl had much better comedic timing. Johnny Depp was good as the wolf although it seemed to be as waste as the part was small. Tracey Ullman seemed to give more depth to Jack's mother. And they used a kid as Jack, and he wa pretty good, though I preferred the video's Jack. Likewise the prince's were a bit flat in the film, much better and funnier on the video. Chris Pine seemed a good choice but it felt like he just didn't "get it".

Some stuff was lost but most of it is there so Into the Woods fans should enjoy it. I thought the ending was abbreviated too much though with some of the show's meaning lost. Cinderella's "I wish" is there but after the credits.

But yeah "Into the Woods" is worth the ticket price.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I investigated the making of Into the Woods, and apparently Stephen Sondheim and James Lapine were very much involved with its making which might be the reason Mickey and Goofy aren't in it. :mrgreen: I thought some changes were made and apparently there were some changes even to the lyrics with the help of Sondheim. So if you are a purists, you might be a bit put off but the film is pretty close the stage production. So what you see is with Sondy Baby's blessing. :mrgreen:

Give some credit to Anna Kendrick, she does an excellent job with what might be the show's most difficult song "On the Steps of the Palace". :thumbup: All and all, pretty good singing all around by this cast.

Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I actually agree with you on the gist of your posts about Into the Woods.

...and I'm comfortable with that!

must be getting old or something...

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Hobbit: Part III 5 Armies

Ok, starts off with the end of the fight with Smaug, then the lead up to the Final battle, and the battle itself. Entertaining film if you want action adventure. Wow, I don't get how any of the characters can have that much stamina. After a fight like that I would be on the ground completely exhausted. Basically faithful to the book, just a lot of filler added, especially with Gandalf being held captive and the ending of Smaug is slightly different than the book. Visually stunning, especially the armies.

Anyway, the story is complete now. :thumbup:

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mockingjay

Entertaining if you're in the mood for an action film. Classic struggle against an oppressive government story. Jennifer Lawrence is just so beautiful :thumbup: . It's part 1 so I guess they'll wrap up this story in the next installment. I was entertained so what more could I ask?

Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Perks of being a Wallflower

Wow, must see film. Very intelligent examination of kids in high school. Emma Watson does a credible American accent, and does a nice performance. Logan Lerman well cast as Charlie, a freshman trying to cope with high school with a bit of a dark past. Ezra Miller is sort of the glue in making it all work, brilliant performance.

It should remind you of your high school years although if this is true to life, high school seems much more complicated than when I was a kid. Obviously, Emma Watson is well known, but so are the others. I must be getting old because keeping up with who is who in popular culture is getting more and more difficult. So many "famous" people I don't know. :wtf:

But yeah, definitely check this film out. :thumbup:

Sun May 17, 2015 2:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Inside Out

The trailers didn't do it for me, but the movie was receiving such rave reviews that I had to see it. I saw it in 3d and as usual, it wasn't worth it. 2d would have been fine.

This was a tough one for Pixar. They actually got scientist to help in understanding the mind. The story starts off with Riley, at birth, and the first emotion to show up is Joy. She is later joined by saddness, anger, fear, and disgust. It is loaded up with personifications of many thought processes of the mind. It has plenty of action and a story to keep the kids interested but this is possibly the most adult movie Pixar has made. It will probably connect more with adults than kids. The memories will probably resonate more with adults than kids. Surprisingly, it has its tearjerker moments. For me the best was when Joy and Riley's imaginary friend have fallen into a pit of lost thoughts. It appeared all was lost but they hatch a plan to get out...which was both beautiful and sweet. And give Pixare some credit, they are really getting those subtle gestures down. And I really like their using actors for the voices, the emotions and feeling really come across.

I admit when I was watching I wondered just where was the movie going? A story does emerge and I guess what the result is that Joy finds that within joy there can be sadness and sadness has its use. This comes about as all the emotions, especially Joy try to keep sadness away from the memories and the control panel..

The personifications of the mind were clever and it has something intelligent to say in the end. And it might be a bit too sophisticated for kids. Timing is a bit bad but I hope it nabs a few oscars.

Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:20 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl

Depressing title for a depressing movie. But it's good. A film like this could press all the cliche buttons but it's refreshingly different and feels real. It's about a boy in his senior year who is told by his mom to befriend a girl who has leukemia. My mind reeled with questions of "what to say?". The film isn't profound with insightful comments. It does have a nice ending that took me a while to take in as I felt kind of numb at the end. It starts off funny and becomes gradually more serious but not full of heavy drama. Gave me something to think about at the end. Olivia Cooke is another Brit doing an American accent, fooled me, she's good.

The film is popular around film circles and did well at Sundance. Worth seeing though. Heard a lot of sniffling on the way out of the theater.

Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 765 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next