The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 65  Next
Review the last Movie you Saw thread... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Review the last Movie you Saw thread...
Saw Thor today.

The whole of it played out well enough. But I guess I was hoping they'd put the "God" back in Thunder-God. The closest we saw in that was Thor making it stop raining on Darcy.

And this leads to the problem I'm having with how they're presenting Thor and Asgard in general. It's like the whole of it are a technologically advance race rather than a pantheon of gods that were there at the beginning of all.

And these aliens from before the universe was created are the bad guys. But they call them "dark elves" for some reason.

Pretty much agree with what was said in this review

...But repackaging a Norse god as an alien superhero takes chutzpah, not humor (unless you count the Viking ship that serves as his spacecraft), and movie studios have yet to lose money by assuming that their audiences have the intellectual discernment of newborns. So if the multiple idiocies on view strike you as neither here nor there, it’s probably because your eyeballs are too busy recoiling from the onslaught of disorienting 3-D effects, or else too distracted by the title character’s Popeye arms and really big mallet.
--------------------
The screen seems to take on life when either Loki or Darcy come into it. But I think Loki pretty much steals the show.

I was entertained. But I was hoping for more.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Saw Catching Fire:

This review has my thoughts...

"THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE exceeds expectations so much that I'm legitimately worried that the MOCKINGJAY films won't be able to deliver on the promise of this movie. I'm definitely steering clear of the book this time; at the end of CATCHING FIRE, I was full of anticipation the likes that I hadn't felt since I was a kid, wondering just how in the hell Luke Skywalker was going to get Han Solo away from the clutches of Jabba the Hutt.

....CATCHING FIRE is a great sequel that exceeds the original in almost every way, a rare enough creature these days that deserves to be celebrated. This franchise has its EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, and now the real question is whether or not they can live up to the gauntlet thrown down here. It's going to be fun to see them try.

----------------
The movie was fantastic in almost every category. And I want to see the next movie...NOW. 8-)

Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:51 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The movie may have its flaws, but I wasn't seeing any. Ok I admit, Laketown annoyed me. But I thought the history given was good.

And for me, most of the additions done by Jackson not only worked, they worked well. Especially Tauriel. Her character and the small story arc with her added some nice moments that gave a bit of warmth that I felt was needed.

I shall be seeing this again. 8-)

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Gravity

Wow, a tour de force in special effects. Saw it in 2-D but I think this is one of the few moives that deserves to be seen in 3-D or even IMAX, to get that full "in space" effect. Good story with a believable plot without the need to pontificate or preach. Worth seeing.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:35 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Elysium

Pretty good action adventure film. It's Sci-Fi as it is set in 2154. but with the usual nightmarish future world with limited resources with LA reduced to a shanty town. Vague hints of Mexican culture as spanish runs throughout. The rich and privileged have "escaped" to a space station elysium, in orbit around the earth. The central issue is healthcare as it is abysmal on earth but they can cure just about anything on Elysium. So vague commentary on healthcare, immigration, the bad bad companies, but if you like action films with good against evil, it is pretty entertaining and has a good ending.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Gravity 3D

Yes, the film is better in 3D. Unfortunately, I couldn't catch it IMAX. Was worth a 2nd viewing to catch things I missed before. Though not intended as "science fiction", it raises the bar on the genre. Unlike "Apollo 13", they didn't need a KC-135 to simulate weightlessness.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:55 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Hobbit: Unexpected and Smaug

Good and entertaining, though the fight scenes are Spielberg-like in being over-the-top in absurd action. Jackson is pretty much faithful to the book but fleshes out the moments when Gandalf leaves on some unknown errand and stretches out the action scenes. I thought the fight with Smaug would never end. Very heavy on the action-adventure, music is disappointing compared to LotR. I'm not sure it warrants 3 movies as the fight scenes are drawn out and extra material added, and the outlandish fight scenes seem to suggest the Orcs are pretty pathetic fighters and only excel in dying.

Last edited by Pounce on Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:08 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Lego Movie

Saw it 2D, not sure if it is improved by 3D. While it probably is targeted at kids, the writing is pretty good so adults can like it too. I couldn't help but think the plot was intended to touch on "The Matrix", as the protagonist is deemed to be "The Special". And much of the film is explained at the end including the "Piece of Resistance". which I thought was clever.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Saw the Need For Speed and Veronica Mars

Need for Speed was..ok. The supporting roles done by Michael Keaton and Imogen Poots were well done, but not enough to carry the movie. However, since this is what it is, about an illegal road race, maybe that's enough for some. I myself would have liked a bit more characterization and better script overall.

Never saw any show of Veronica Mars. But I was curious. I was aware that this was a kickstarter project, so this was a show by the fans for the fans. And as a movie, a pleasant surprise. Decent script with actors in roles they were comfortable with. Not a big wow factor here, but a very watchable movie. As a project I suspect this can be considered a fair success.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:22 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Saw Noah.

Kind of a reimagining of the Bible story. As I understand it, the director/writer took pieces of the Midrash and the Bible and combined his own interpretation to make the movie. It wasn't a bad movie. Just kind of dull despite the special effects. I like the fact that the psychology of the title character came into play. (You just saw the world destroyed and heard all those screams that seemed to go on forever. How do you feel about that Mr Noah?)

Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

There is quite a bit to process...and damn those fight scenes were a bit brutal.

When they said this was for the older comic-book geek they weren't kidding.

‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ Review: Best Marvel Phase 2 Film, or Best Marvel Film Period?

Captain America should be the most boring lead in the ongoing cinematic superhero cavalcade — he’s a goody two shoes who fights with a shield, wears an excessively patriotic costume, and by all accounts has never been laid — and yet, over the course of three films he’s quickly become the most entertaining, exciting to watch, and affecting of the bunch by a wide margin. (Your move Superman.)

Frequently teamed with Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson), Rogers is in a rut of leading missions, saving the day, and then returning to his lonely life and apartment. He makes a new friend, Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie), while jogging around the Lincoln Memorial’s Reflecting Pool, and makes a half-hearted attempt at asking out his neighbor (Emily VanCamp), but most of his down time is spent alone. He visits the Smithsonian Institution’s “Captain America” room, but images of Peggy Carter (Hayley Atwell) and Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) only serve to remind him of what he’s lost.

He’s a hero in a soul-searching flux, and while it’s something we’ve seen before in Tony Stark/Iron Man grappling with his identity and responsibilities, Rogers is in more tragic straits because he’s a hero in circumstances well beyond his own choosing. The First Avenger showed us his origin as a great man wanting to do good and paying for it by being violently torn away from the world he knew and loved, and The Avengers found him continuing to fight the good fight but having to do it in a world with modified morals and ethical shortcuts. Everything we’ve learned about him and everything he’s learned about himself comes to a head in The Winter Soldier, and the result is an exciting, humorous, topical, and surprisingly touching thrill ride that raises the bar terrifically high for the rest of this year’s summer blockbusters. (You know, once summer actually begins.)

I’m no comic or Marvel fanboy (as evidenced by some of my past reviews), but this is magnificent and wondrous entertainment. Many of these films stumble in the third act as the desire for spectacle tends to replace the drive for quality, but the biggest issue here is a comic-book simplicity that pervades some of the later events and action presumably for the sake of expediency. Certain actions should be a hell of a lot more difficult and complicated than they are. And, not for nothing, but with everything at stake here I still take issue with the idea that certain other members of the Avengers wouldn’t be called in to help. I get that this is a solo film blah blah, but in the shared universe (and with this story-line in particular) it makes zero sense that someone wouldn’t speed dial Iron Man to lend a hand.

I’m intentionally leaving out the vast majority of the film’s details, both plot turns and cameos, not just to avoid spoilers but also because the film is a near non-stop torrent of memorable moments and scenes best discovered while watching. There’s not a dull minute to be found here between the expertly crafted action sequences, plot revelations lifted equally out of the comic books and the New York Times, character moments, and legitimately funny laughs. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is big, spectacular entertainment that manages to stay grounded even as the action turns to explosive spectacle. It’s the kind of summer blockbuster we always hope for but so rarely seem to get, and it just may be the absolute best of the Marvel films so far.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Amazing Spider-Man 2

Well, my first impression after leaving the theatre was that it was weak.

The fight scenes were good, the interpretation of the villains weren't that bad, and we see spidey's abilities (and strength) without such being over-emphasized. And we see our hero constantly quipping and wisescracking during those scenes. And that's where the script is good.
The rest of the script was pretty awkward and even clumsy. When our hero isn't fighting, some of the scenes become stilted. Where things should play out gradually, as if naturally, it goes from tentative to over-emotional, and overblown. (Paul Giamatti's role was more or less a cameo. Kinda wasted. I hope they use him better in the next movie)

The movie isn't a total loss. But I suggest a matinee show.

Script and direction are my problems here.

Sun May 04, 2014 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 775 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 65  Next