The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
Review the last Movie you Saw thread... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Review the last Movie you Saw thread...
Terminator: Genisys

Even though it hit all the notes, the script was pretty much a mess. And fairly mindless. It's too easy to say it was better than the last two.

Maybe I'm just jonesing for the Sarah Connor Chronicles...which wasn't mindless at all, or maybe I wish that Jim Cameron would come back to the franchise. (Comparing that 2nd movie to this one may not be fair but it does show just how weak this one is)

Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Jurassic World

Basically like a rehash of Jurassic Park, just a different plot. Once again a dino gets loose causing havoc. Meaning? Maybe a commentary against GMOs?
Ron Howard's daughter however is a real beauty. :thumbup:

Saw it in 3d...not worth it. Only part it worked well was the helicopter scenes.

Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Saw Ant-Man and I thought it was that good. It wasn't something earth-shaking, it was down to earth. Lang wasn't doing the hero schtick to save the world, he was doing it to see his daughter. It stayed on a personal level and it worked very well.

Some surprises: [spoiler]The beginning opening up on a high level meet with Pym and Stark's dad and the security dude for Shield, who made the mistake of saying something derogatory about Hank's wife, who we didn't know at the time died a hero. And Hank bloodying the guy's nose. Dude looked at Stark's dad like in protest. And Stark essentially saying "You deserved that."

Cameo of the Falcon...and getting his head handed to him by Ant-Man. Lol!

The utility of the various species of ants. That definitely deserves applause.
[/spoiler]

I had more fun with this movie than the Age of Ultron.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Martian

How does Matt Damon keep getting stuck alone on planets? :mrgreen:

Or has to be saved? #-o

Pretty good movie. His surviving to be saved is pretty believable. I read that due to Mars' thin atmosphere, a storm like that is not likely. But his efforts to live seem plausible. I saw it in 3d and yet again, not worth it. The one part that bothered me was the astrophysicist guy explaining in a somewhat condescending fashion to NASA administration how gravity assist works. Yeah, right, NASA has been doing that for years so don't explain it like you were talking to some space luddites. The film also reminded me a bit of "Gravity" with the space walking scenes and relying on the Chinese to save the day.

Worth a look. :thumbup:

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Steve Jobs

Had a hard time buying Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs. Didn't see the film with Ashton Kutcher but at least he looked like Jobs. Fassbender was more convincing as the older Jobs. Despite Wozniak's approval, the dialog didn't seem believable among a bunch of geeks, and Woz apparently didn't confront Jobs like that. The movie has a lot of backstage stuff during crucial launches of Apple products. Didn't cover his life well enough for me. And didn't convey the remarkable turnaround Jobs pulled off to save Apple.

Not a bad film, but I'd rent the DVD.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Saw the final Mockingjay movie.
Never read the books so there were a couple of surprises. The surprise towards the end wasn't really. (Saw it coming) However I wasn't sure what would follow, which was pretty much a lengthy epilogue.
The movie does the job for me; entertains while finally putting the series to bed.

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:30 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: http://www.poptop.uk.com
Main Role: Fan
Pounce wrote:
Steve Jobs

Had a hard time buying Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs. Didn't see the film with Ashton Kutcher but at least he looked like Jobs. Fassbender was more convincing as the older Jobs. Despite Wozniak's approval, the dialog didn't seem believable among a bunch of geeks, and Woz apparently didn't confront Jobs like that. The movie has a lot of backstage stuff during crucial launches of Apple products. Didn't cover his life well enough for me. And didn't convey the remarkable turnaround Jobs pulled off to save Apple.

Not a bad film, but I'd rent the DVD.

I liked this film too and got a little nostalgic mood even. It much like the mood in the Pirates of Silicon Valley ... but the actors were more realistic there

Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Creed
Simply amazing.
If you liked the first Rocky movie, then you'll like this one.
It has the same heart and the same respect.

[spoiler]

Heartbreaking in a way. When Rocky is diagnosed with the early stages of cancer he refuses to fight it. Everything he's ever cared about is gone...moved on, and he's still here. and doesn't want to be, or so it seemed to me. It's just one of the "punches" that hits you in the gut in this movie[/spoiler] :(

Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Star wars: The Force Awakens

If you're a fan of the old stuff (not the more recent garbage) you're going to love this.

Admittedly it seemed to follow a similar format from "A New Hope." But there is plenty of new stuff to progress the story.
Kasdan and Abrams said they want to return to the more organic feel of the first movies and determined to use as little cgi as they could. That also said they wanted the movie to be funny and endearing, and perhaps just as important, to stay away from the "prequels." I'd say they went a bit further so a hearty endorsement from me.
Heh...I recall reading that Abrams once admitted he considered turning Jar Jar Binks’ corpse into a “Force Awakens” prop, but then decided it would prove too distracting. Pity. :lol:

One glaring problem I saw...at least to me: Spoiler!

Kylo Ren.
They filled in the blanks on this particular character fairly quick.
Ok, I get the whole psychological probs, daddy issues...grand-daddy issues...sure. I get the anger/rage/strength...dark force..got that.
But...he's an angry child here. And while he may not exactly be running things on that planet-sized death star, he's still has an amazing amount of responsibility. Sure, he has Snookums, or whatever his name is as the dread Sith Lord he has to report to, but still...I guess I'm comparing Kylo Ren to Darth Vader. Vader's calm menacing competence (easily see him with that level of responsibility) to this...boy. And I see Anakin Skywalker all over again.

Perhaps it'll be explained in the next movie.
Heh...Rey and Kylo...twins? I wouldn't be surprised.
[/spoiler]

Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:37 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Star Wars The Force Awakens

A bit disappointed. I was hoping for the same feeling I had when I saw the first Star Wars. Somewhat of a cast reunion with some of the Star Wars cliches. New characters to replace the old but they don't seem to have the same charisma of the old, and I didn't seem to care about them as much. John Williams was credited with the music but other than the familiar Star Wars theme, it was very lackluster. Never elevated my emotions.

Not a bad film, but I was expecting more given how well Abrams did with the Star Trek reboot.

Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Deadpool
The jokes fly so fast and thick I missed some. And the audience didn't quite catch that the opening credits were also gags. There were scenes that really ripped into the X-Men series (and especially Wolverine) that made me go gah! (an action figure of that particular Deadpool from Wolverine Origins...was simply...ouch)
The sequence when he's fighting Colossus had me laughing for 10 minutes so hard I hurt myself.
On top of that, I thought it was a damn good movie. It rips up the comicbook movie genre almost satirically. There were even a few moments that were almost touching...not that it balances out all the other "touching" moments.

Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:36 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ant-man

Getting a bit tired of superhero movies, but this one is good. Good background and development of the characters with a good story. Wondered how being super small can make you a force to reckon with, but that and being able to control ants are really handy. Definitely worth your time seeing this film.

Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 774 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next