The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next
Review the last Movie you Saw thread... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Review the last Movie you Saw thread...
10 Cloverfield Lane
Did my homework on it so I knew it wasn't going to be a sequel to Cloverfield.

Pretty solid flick. Goodman was a scary dude. And I've always liked Mary Winstead.

Kind of a twist though.

[spoiler]

Goodman was definitely paranoid psycho...and yet, surprise! Spot on in his paranoia about aliens.
When Winstead's character realized in astonishment um...aliens? Really? I'm fairly certain most in the audience was thinking the same thing.
[/spoiler]

Well played.

Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oz the Great and Powerful

Impressive special effects. Didn't do well with the critics, but I liked it. As in the old film, the wizard is still a phony but he must somehow wrest the emerald city from the evil witches, with the help of Glinda. Really leaves you with a sense of how could he possibly do it, but they manage to come up with a fairly clever ending without damaging the old film.

Sun May 01, 2016 9:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Finding Dory

Felt very much like "Finding Nemo", except Dory goes on a trans-Pacific quest to find her parents. Improved visuals, very similar type of story. The short "Piper" before it was cute, with some really good and realistic looking visuals. Pixar is having a tough time topping itself.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Independence Day 2

I'm a fan of the original and was hoping this would be bearable. It was actually pretty good. There was enough throw backs to the original as well as new characters and twists to keep it fresh.

Buff :D

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:59 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Ghostbusters

Ok...I didn't go in all prepped to hate this movie.
I did find the movie bland for the most part.

Some thoughts:

Our characters weren't all that fleshed out. Wiig's was probably the most so...although McKinnon's was probably the most memorable as she at times whips out experimentation and weapons gleefully indifferent to the dangers to those around her and herself.
She was funny and she steals the movie.

There was a group dynamic that was obvious in the original movie that is missing in this current incarnation. Half the time when there were together it seemed like squeaky cogs meshing...and needing oil.

The bad guy in this movie is a cliché. (a pity. He would have made a nice counterpart to Holtzmann)

Now, the original we had Janine; a smart wisecracking empowered woman.
Here, we have Kevin; an objectified stupid blonde man. (Really? Wearing glasses without lenses in them because they keep clean that way? That's a cartoon character.)

There are no smart guys here (beyond the bad guy) and there are no strong guys here. If this is a movie that is supposed to show empowered women it shouldn't do so with such examples that we see here among the men.

I felt this movie was uninspired, clumsy and kinda dumb.

And yet, I was entertained more often than not.. :oops: I don't know why...

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Suicide Squad

This was a Will Smith movie, plain and simple.
I'm still processing but on the whole this was a freaking mess.
(...and so is my review...:)

The main reason for all of "this" the reason why they're grouped together...to take on any "Superman" that turns bad. None of which could take on Superman on a bad day let alone a good day. (General Zod would have eaten them raw)..and then, [spoiler]Enchantress slips the leash, and considering that they already knew they couldn't quantify her abilities..or for that matter just what she is exactly..ugh.
And the fact that no one mentioned that Waller was responsible for that tidbit to begin with..
.[/spoiler]
And then there's the "worst of the worst" line that was just unreal. No, they weren't all that bad, and that's yet another problem with this movie. The script can't seem to let these "bad guys" be really unapologetic bad guys. Nearly every member of this team of criminals has a backstory that makes their bad behavior seem inevitable and sympathetic rather than evil.
The actual bad guy in my opinion seemed to be Amanda Waller herself. Her ruthlessness tended to cross a line to me. And I kinda get that. But the "bad guys" should have been able to match that bad attitude. And none did.

Neither Harley nor Joker worked for me. They just weren't crazy to me. Strange and weird more so than truly crazy anyway.

The finale should have had them gelling together and working as a team. For the most part it really didn't make much sense to me. (A villain that could take out an aircraft carrier in a second but feels the need to go hand-to-hand?)

There some...things that did go very well.
Enchantress; scary btch alert, eerie, creepy...and how she was presented was beautiful and terrifying, at least at first. (She could have been played by any actress and it would have been the same. Blame the script)
I liked the Batman cameos, especially at the end when [spoiler]Waller is dealing with Bruce Wayne and for once she's actually being cautious and respectful. Especially after he warns that his "friends" may feel the need to shut her project down[/spoiler]
I just wasn't entertained enough by what few positives there were.

Saw Nerve earlier.
Basically a movie about a glorified "truth or dare" online game that gets dangerous quick. Kinda silly, but I've gotten more entertainment out of this movie than almost any other movie all summer.
Which doesn't say much about these other overhyped summer blockbusters.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Star Trek Beyond

I kind of miss the lens flare of J J Abrams. Justin Lin certainly knows his way around chaotic scenes. Didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two. I could comprehend the "solution" in the first two. I really don't like a "science fiction" like ending which is more uttering of scientific garbage than rooted in what we can understand.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

It's sort of Harry Potter goes to 1920s New York, minus Harry Potter. Really good effects. Movie starts off a bit slow, but it finally pays off with an exciting climax. It winds up with a surprisingly bitter sweet ending. I say that because I didn't feel particularly engaged with the characters but I cared for them more than I thought at the end. Eddie Redmayne was a good casting choice, he fit the part, but didn't seem to give as much to the part as he could. He played a sort of clueless absentminded genius. Ezra Miller (The Perks of Being a Wallflower) was really good. Didn't know it was him, which is a good indicator of a good performance.

Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

There was a quick mention of the American school that I feel was a tease to make us want more of it.

It worked...for me.

Now I want a slew of books about a trio of young heroes based in the North American Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Rogue One

It's Star Wars again. Not a lot of the Force, but it is mentioned a lot. Darth Vader makes an appearance and used it naturally. There's also this asian guy who looks a lot like a Tibetan Monk and while blind, the force allows him to fight. Not a bad film, but it lacks the heart and excitement that A New Hope had.

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:58 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Spilt
M. Night Shyamalan's latest featuring very much the talents of James McAvoy who plays a dude that has severe dissociative identity disorder...essentially he has multiple personalities, none of which are all that nice since the um..core person was the victim of child abuse which was when his not-so-little problem started.
The last personality to emerge is called "the Beast." (I was reminded of Nietzsche's "Ubermensch") This bright fellow holds to the idea that anyone that isn't mentally emotionally scarred hasn't been purified...um...yeah.

[spoiler]

One girl survives when he sees her scars and realizes that she's pretty messed up in the head...and considers her "pure." He runs away escaping.[/spoiler]

The biggest surprise are for those that are familiar with M. Night's movies...because you're going to look very forward to his next movie.

At the very end:
[spoiler]In a busy diner as patrons are watching a TV news report about this man, who the media has dubbed “The Horde” because of his multiple personalities. One woman says that the story reminds her of another case, from years ago, involving “a funny guy in a wheelchair, what was his name?”
The camera turns and we see Bruce Willis, wearing a security guard work shirt that says “Dunn,” as he utters while looking up at the TV screen, “Mr. Glass.”
That's right; This movie actually takes place in the same cinematic universe, in the same city of Philadelphia, in fact, as Shyamalan’s Unbreakable.
So the next movie will likely have both our "superhero" and this "Horde" dude.
[/spoiler]

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The Founder

Pretty good film about McDonald's. Reminded me of The Social Network in that it's based on fact with writers filling in the believed details. Made me wonder what they may have gotten wrong. Ray Kroc does not come out looking very good. Michael Keaton did a great job, but I doubt this is worthy of an Oscar. The Social Network has more drama than The Founder which is pretty sedate.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next