The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61
Review the last Movie you Saw thread... 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Review the last Movie you Saw thread...
American Hustle

Good film. I've heard it described as a comedy, but if it is, it's a dark one. Probably better to take it as a drama. It's loosely based on ABSCAM of the 1970s, and it feels like it. While I don't like Christian Bale, he's pretty good in the role. So is Amy Adams, and a stunning beauty. Jennifer Lawrence is good as well, although she seems more attractive than her character should be. The feel of the film seems to be we're all living a life where everyone is conning everyone. You can take it in, in one sitting, but it probably merits a second viewing.

Sun May 11, 2014 7:43 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mr Peabody and Sherman

I was interested as I remember the cartoon as a kid. It gives a bit of back story, the voicings were a bit off, but you'll forget it and accept it. Ok, adults will probably like it for nostalgia sake and the writing is ok. It is in 3D but I didn't see a lot that benefited from it other than a flying scene. And the way-back machine is whole lot different than what was presented in the cartoon.

I say catch on DVD.

Last edited by Pounce on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 11, 2014 7:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

X-Men Days of Future Past
Saw it.
Liked it.
But the actual comic-book story was better.

Sat May 24, 2014 6:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Edge of Tomorrow
I didn't see it so much as "Groundhog Day with power armor and aliens" as much as I saw it as a video game; learn it bit more and get only so far into the game then dying, rinse, repeat. And like many a good video game there's a decent storyline. Add in Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt, and you have something pretty damn good. Cruise shows us all why he's still at the top of his game. And he's not even the badass in this. (at first he's pretty much a dick.) He has plenty of moments where he drops back a bit and lets Blunt shine, and that chemistry shows. And she comes across as pretty hardcore. (I think I would have liked to have heard the conversation they had at the end)

Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:53 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Lars and the Real Girl

I'm not a huge Gosling fan, and I wasn't really sure what to expect of this movie. It certainly surprised me, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It's quite slow paced but I never felt bored. It felt similar to 500 Days of Summer or Juno.

A feel good flick that was perfect for a lazy Sunday night.

Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Dawn of the Planet of Apes
Everything the critics said it was.
Matt Reeves (director), Andy Serkis, and CGI are on display here and it was all good.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:49 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

:mrgreen: \:D/ hehe,sooo many people,i like this movie Pride and Prejudice,Leading role is very beautiful, the hair is very beautiful, I know it's a

[Mod Edit: No commercial links, thank you. Any more and you're banned.]

Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Guardians of the galaxy was entertaining.
Had some issues though...

[spoiler]On the whole there seems to be a de-leveling of power in just about every way.
The Nova Corps is shown to be this pathetic force that can barely hold back a single Kree warship...really? And yet they had the just signed some peace treaty with the Kree...yeah..ok
Drax's monomania isn't focused on Thanos, it's focused on Ronan. Only at the end does that get fixed because...Ronan gets killed?

There's this "humanizing" or perhaps better to say "terranizing" element. No one seems neither more than or less than capable than a normal Terran. It's no wonder that Groot is the "big gun" here. And the "Collector is no powerful "Elder" either as we see at the end credits. Nor is Gamora feared for her tie to Thanos.
But then this is the nice and fluffy Disney Cinematic Universe so I suppose that's to be expected.

The one scene where Ronan meets Thanos was well done. Ronan is no Loki to treat only with a Servant of Thanos. Indeed Ronan rather unceremoniously kills said Servant and talks directly to Thanos.
That pointed out, this is the very two dimensional Ronan of the earlier comic-book years.
[/spoiler]

The movie was good on it's own. But any connection to the comic-books is pretty much in name only.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Blade Runner: Final Cut

I sought this film out as it seems to be an iconic film of the Sci-Fi genre and till now, I haven't seen it. It's entertaining, but I had a nagging feeling when it was over of "This film is trying to tell me something". It was not a commercial success as it is more like an Art House film, but to its credit it lives on, even now. I sought out and found some documentaries about the film so I could better understand it. The film appears to have been a very strong influence on other films. Plus the visuals are pretty good, probably ground-breaking for its time.

A well cast film about a nightmarish future Los Angeles in 2019. Interesting in that I'd say, projecting from 1982 into that near future, we are no where near this level of technology. But this overly optimistic view of our technology is nothing new. Harrison Ford is well cast in the lead role. Rutger Hauer was brilliant and even contributed some memorable dialog near the end of the film. Daryl Hannah was still at the start of her career and did a great job with Pris. Sean Young was Rachael was a stunning beauty and fit her part. Joe Turkel was marvelously creepy.

I haven't seen the theatrical release which I might look for. The original release has a voice over narration with a "happy ending". The Final Cut has the often "ambiguous" ending for Art House films. Ford plays a detective of sorts who is seeking replicants, genetically engineered humans, who are considered slaves to perform hazardous duty in the outer regions as the human race had begun to move off of earth. Replicants are not allowed on earth, and blade runners like Ford seek them out and kill them.

The themes explored seem to be much in debate. Some suggest racism as the replicants are viewed as being lesser beings and not to be valued. Sort of in the same way as we would view the destruction of a robot as not a bad thing except possibly holding only monetary value. The replicants have developed more creature traits such as a sense of self-preservation and even empathy. Corporate coldness is present as usual as the replicants they created are thought of as nothing more than commodities and their creation and destruction bears no questions of morality.

I guess my burning questions are of Batty's action near the end of the film and the meaning of the unicorn at the very end. A general question debated is whether or not Ford's character is himself a replicant. My sense is....no.

Definitely a film to be seen by any movie buffs as it should be in one's repertoire of films to reference. Not sure if I liked Vangelis' score, but it did reflect well the film's mood. Blade Runner is a dark, brooding, even depressing film, but a mind-expanding cult classic.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 729 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61