The Resource For Musicals

The MdN Social Club Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
How much is your budget for your high school musical? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post How much is your budget for your high school musical?
Hi everyone,

I am a first-timer to the forum. Thanks for having me!

I am working with a New Jersey high school that needs help getting more funding for their yearly musical. They are going through a bit of a change at this school, and are trying to make a case for getting bigger budgets for their shows. Currently they earmark about $8,000 per musical. Their rights cost them around $3000 per show, and their costumes about $2000 to $3000, so that leaves very little for set, scenery, props, and lighting/sound techs, who they pay a stipend to for each show.

This school does not allow fundraising for their shows (other than the few hundred $$ they raise selling food/drink in the lobby during intermission).

So my first idea is to try to gauge how much other high schools are budgeting for their musicals. I know this can vary greatly depending on house size/ticket costs, whether or not you are allowed to fundraise, etc. But still, I would like to get an idea from anybody out there who would be willing to share this info with me.

I would love to know your:
    - Budget
    - State where the school is located
    - House size
    - How much you charge for tickets
    - Whether or not you are allowed to fundraise.
    - And anything else you'd like to share

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:59 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Parade, Big Fish
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: How much is your budget for your high school musical?
Welcome!

Simple: Our budget is $0. We get no money whatsoever from the school district, so we raise it all ourselves.. Yet they spend thousands of dollars on new sports equipment and more expensive uniforms each year *rolls eyes*

Budget: $0
State: Massachusetts
House: About 800 seats? Thankfully the district provided us with a nice auditorium.
Charge: $10
Fundraising: We sell ads in our playbill that covers about half of our expenses. The other half is brought in by tickets. Anyway, each cast member is required to sell a certain amount of ads depending on the show and cast size (sometimes it's 12, sometimes only 7). You can sell them to family, friends, local businesses, etc. The ads are a bit pricey, but are as follows:
-Message--$10 each
-1/4 page--$25 or $35 (I forget)
-1/2 page--$50 or $75 (I don't think we have a 3/4 page, but if we did then that'd be $75)
-Full page--$100

We have 4 performances of the musical and 3 for the fall play. Our musicals are more successful, as occasionally we'll be sold out. Typically we have dedicated parent volunteers who make the costumes by hand (and it's freaking amazing). Other times, we may have to rent. Props are usually handmade by art students who are in crew, as well. Every show we have a set construction day where we're at the school from 8am-5pm building sets. Mainly parent volunteers build with a few crew members with experience and others may paint, make props, carry supplies, get fitted for costumes, etc. Our lighting and sound techs are all students! Seniors train underclassmen in that "field" to take over when they leave.

That's about it... Personally I think schools should allow fundraising but that's just me. Enjoy your show! :)

Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:51 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you so much for your detailed response!

Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:45 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Parade, Big Fish
Main Role: Performer
musicmaster wrote:
Thank you so much for your detailed response!

No problem! :)

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]