The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Productions that imitate the movie 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Productions that imitate the movie
Has anyone here ever seen a production of the show that copied any of the changes made in the movie? I'm sure it's not very legal, but still, I know it's been done.

I once saw a small community theatre production where Bernardo and the Shark boys took part in "America," though the original stage lyrics were used: Bernardo just sang Rosalia's lines. "Somewhere" was also sung by Tony and Maria rather than by an offstage voice, though the dream ballet was included.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:34 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Productions that imitate the movie
professional productions have used the film lyrics of 'America" with the anita/bernardo give and take..it works much better too.
saw a production at Gateway Playhouse in long island that did it..also the london revival did it.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Many
Main Role: Fan
Given Sondheim's revelation in Finishing the Hat that he wrote the film lyrics first and was forced to change the song to a "girl number" at the behest of Jerome Robbins, it's a wonder more productions haven't attempted to use the film lyrics.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:22 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: In the Heights,Aaron Tveit, I Love You Because
is that legal with the contract? how much dancing do the shark girls do? Rosalia sprecifically?

Previous: Into The Woods -Cinderella, West Side Story- Rosalia, My Fair Lady - u/s Eliza, Cats -Demeter, FAME!-Serena, Fiddler...- Hodel, A Chorus Line - Lois, Guys and Dolls - Adelaide, No, No Nanette

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

audreydarling wrote:
is that legal with the contract? how much dancing do the shark girls do? Rosalia sprecifically?
It wouldn't be legal for a community/amateur production. However a professional production would be able to (and have in the past) apply to the rights holders for permission. For instance the last London production (and tour) used the film Lyric. Also the last London production of Guys and Dolls incorporated the song Adelaide which was specifically written for the film.

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:36 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Main Role: Fan
I don't know how it is done usualy in other "professionnal" productions, but in paris, Théâtre du Chatelet, when they did The Sound Of Music, the songs added for the movie (Something Good and I Have Confidence )were added. Of course, the two lovely songs How Can Love Survive and No way to Stop It were there too.

So I guess it's possible to do so, yes. The same for West Side Story.
It would be great to have the extended version of the prologue on stage !

Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 am

Community and regional theatres can also make those changes,you just have to talk to an agent at the licencing company and work out a contract. its not hard.

Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:37 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Salome wrote:
Community and regional theatres can also make those changes,you just have to talk to an agent at the licencing company and work out a contract. its not hard.
I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK that would be virtually impossible for most amateur company's.

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:08 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Salome wrote:
Actually thinking about it, the licensing company has absolutely no right to give that permission. In order to make those changes you need the permission of the Film Studio / Film Rights Holders. The reason I said it is unlikely in the UK is that most Ammeter company's would not have the finances to pay what the studio would ask.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:49 am

The lyrics to "America' are not owned by the film studio..Sondsheim owns them and therefore are given out through the rights holder. the screenplay however is different..that would be owned by the film studio.
as I said...you'd be surprised what a phone call can do.

Ive seen 3 stage versions of WSS tha used the bernardo/anita lyrics...one pro, two non-profit.
plus the lOndon revival used them.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Salome wrote:
The lyrics to "America' are not owned by the film studio..Sondsheim owns them and therefore are given out through the rights holder. the screenplay however is different..that would be owned by the film studio.
as I said...you'd be surprised what a phone call can do.

Ive seen 3 stage versions of WSS tha used the bernardo/anita lyrics...one pro, two non-profit.
plus the lOndon revival used them.
Sorry but wrong, Sondheim may have written them but they are still part of the copyright of the film. The London revival was a professional production and would be able to negotiate with all necessary parties. I stand by what I said there is no way that the show licence holders can give permission for the use of something which is not part of the show. It is often very extreme, for instance productions of Carousel are not even allowed to use "Hold your head up high" in place of "Keep your chin up high" because the line is copyright of the film.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:02 pm

trust me...I know it can be done. Gateway playhouse in long island has staged it 3 times with special permission granted for the change in "America".

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next