Saw the National Tour of West Side Story tonight; here's my review:
• Lori Ann Ferreri (u/s Anita) - Holy cow, can this girl sing. She was absolutely fantastic. Her dancing was a little off sometimes, but she’s an understudy, so I guess that’s to be expected. "America" was fantastic, and she’s a great actress as well.
• Alexandra Frohlinger (Anybodys)[/i] - By far, my favorite of the show. Her section of "Somewhere" was wonderful.
• The Majority of the Jets - They were great dancers, and all sounded very good together, especially during "Gee, Officer Krupke."
• Joseph J. Simeone (Riff) - He bothered me. He spoke so fast that I had no idea what he was saying, and his singing was…not the best.
• Kyle Harris (Tony) - I very much disliked his voice. His vibrato was all over the place, and when he got into his falsetto his voice went to the back of his throat and was dreadful.
• Ali Ewoldt (Maria) - She was tolerable. Her acting wasn’t the greatest, and she looked like she was twelve years old, which was slightly disturbing. Her voice was actually rather pretty, but was often whiny or shrill; she also seemed incapable of blending with whoever she dueted with.
• "Dance at the Gym"
• "Somewhere" (Anybody’s section)
• "Gee, Officer Krupke"
• "Something’s Coming"
Overall, the production seemed very amateur. There was little to no set, the majority of people on stage were over-acting, and the dances were rather sloppy. I’d give it a six out of ten.