The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Any Anita's out there? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Any Anita's out there?
Ok...first off, let me say, I'm not actually cast in the show. I'm a cellist in the pit orchestra. We're currently doing dress rehearsals and our opening night is in like a week. For the most part, everything is going excellent but something just seems wrong with Anita. Im not like an expert singer, but I have been playing cello for about 10 years so i can tell when notes are off. And it just seems like "America" gets butchered everytime its sung. It starts off alright and the little verses where the shark girls insult each other is fine...its when they hit the chorus everything falls apart. its the part "I like to be in America, ok by me in America"..you know what I'm talking about. Anyways, Anita totally slaughters that part. Its hard to tell if she just got off key or the song is too hard for her, but basically she is singing random notes that sound nothing like the melody. And the strange part is, she is AMAZING in A Boy Like That/ I Have A Love. I mean she is really really good in that song. So my question is: Is America a hard song to sing? or do you think it's her getting off key?

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]