The Resource For Musicals

West Side Story Forum

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
West Side Story Revival Sharks speaking Spanish 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post West Side Story Revival Sharks speaking Spanish
According to an article I read (I have to find it on Playbill.Com) In the revival of West Side Story the Sharks will be speaking spanish most of the time.

What do you guys think of this?

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:10 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:17 pm

Main Role: Other...

It's SOOOOO annoying. Omg. Unless you know what words they're saying, it's so utterly ... ugh. Too much Spanish. I have nothing against Spanish people at all, it's just this annoyed me to no end.

I mean, it's cool on "Tonight" and all...

but it gets tiring when Maria sings "I feel Pretty" in Spanish, the scene before that is in Spanish, and then after, it's in Spanish until it goes "Tony killed Bernardo" or whatever.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:20 am
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

/\ /\, uhmmm...kozafluitmusique. Stop showing your ignorance, it'd do you good to learn a little Spanish. Knowing another language never hurt anyone.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:43 am

/\ /\, uhmmm...kozafluitmusique. Stop showing your ignorance, it'd do you good to learn a little Spanish. Knowing another language never hurt anyone.

Ummm...excuse me, GungaDin, I do know some Spanish. And I do know some other languages better, but I am not being ignorant. I just found it frustrating to listen to it, not knowing what was going on. And even if one knew Spanish (my mom & sister both know Spanish well), it was spoken so fast it was hard to understand. In fact, the Spanish completely turned off my sister from the show, and that's saying something.

I mean, I wouldn't mind the Spanish, but for the sake of not having any translation in the playbill of what was going on? That's ... a little extreme.

By being frustrated by the Spanish does not show I'm ignorant. Unless you can prove I am ignorant by any of this, your point is incorrect.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:49 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

GungaDin, feel free to learn a little Spanish, French, Italian, German, American Sign Language, Greek, Latin, Malay, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian, Welsh...

...you know, just in case they come up in a show you want to go see that's normally done in English. Just so you can understand. Once you can translate the dialogue before "I Feel Pretty" into all of those languages let me know. Knowing another language never hurt anyone.

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 pm

GungaDin wrote:

GungaDin, feel free to learn a little Spanish, French, Italian, German, American Sign Language, Greek, Latin, Malay, Mandarin, Arabic, Russian, Welsh...

...you know, just in case they come up in a show you want to go see that's normally done in English. Just so you can understand. Once you can translate the dialogue before "I Feel Pretty" into all of those languages let me know. Knowing another language never hurt anyone.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I love you Holly!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

[quote="Holly"][quote="GungaDin"]/\ /\, uhmmm...kozafluitmusique. Stop showing your ignorance, it'd do you good to learn a little Spanish. Knowing another language never hurt anyone.[/quote]

...you know, just in case they come up in a show you want to go see that's normally done in English. Just so you can understand. Once you can translate the dialogue before "I Feel Pretty" into all of those languages let me know. Knowing another language never hurt anyone.[/quote]

uhmmm, Holly, actually, I speak English, Spanish, Filipino, French and some Italian. So I am fine. I get along in the world very well; thank you.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:05 pm

Holly wrote:
GungaDin wrote:

uhmmm, Holly, actually, I speak English, Spanish, Filipino, French and some Italian. So I am fine. I get along in the world very well; thank you.

Not to cause an argument, but an important language to know nowadays is Chinese.

Also, sometimes what happens is in high schools and earlier, one language is chosen to learn. Others may choose multiple languages, but not always the ones that are exotic.

In other countries, I am aware that it is more intense.

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:25 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Or, you know, you could have someone like myself. I've taken Spanish classes since ninth grade. I still can't speak a sentence in it. Two German classes later - I can somewhat get by. I would love to learn languages, but they just do not stick with me. Doesn't stop me from listening to things in other languages. Music isn't just limited to English.

However, i do think that a show in mixed langages would annoy me. If it's going to be in Spanish, I'd want the entire thing to be in Spanish. That goes for any musical. It makes it easier to keep up with.

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Don't they have monitors with subtitles during the Spanish dialogue and songs?

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:22 pm

My roomate saw this in previews last night, and really liked it. Well, he liked the Spanish thing UNTIL they did "A Boy Like That" in Spanish. He said it TOTALLY killed the song.

I for one think the Spanish idea is a VERY cool concept, and actually, Lin Manuel is the one who rewrote the dialogue/songs in Spanish. I personally think "I Feel Pretty" SHOULD be done in Spanish. It just seems right. As for some of the dialogue, I think if they tone it down to some Spanglish, it'll be fine.That way, the audience will know what's going on. But hey, it IS previews after all, still time to change things, ya know?

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next